Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Take off Steering wheel, put no air bag wheel on?

911livin

Monza
Anyone done it? advice? I got a Momo from 80s and just got the boss and air bag clip thing.. was going to have a go and see. Any members here done it? Any advice?

I read you need to disconnect battery for 30 min?

I did it on a 996 have a look in the GT3/RS forum. I only did it this year and added a few pictures (I am guessing simllar to a 993 in a generic sort of way). You will find an additional post in the frequently asked questions (FAQ) GT3/RS forum part too.

I got stuck a bit when it came to removing the cassette (partly as I did not really know what a Porsche 'cassette' was) and then getting the negative/earth for the horn to work.

Disconnecting the battery prevents the airbag exploding. As per my post you will need to put in a resistor to prevent the airbag light being illuminated if your new wheel is airbag deficient.

Best of luck.

Pip

Done it and yes you need to disconnect the battery, an exploding air bag is not fun. It is not easily reversible. I also removed passenger air bag as I'm using a full harness and it is track day compliant.
This tells all:-http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/RSsteeringwheel/RSsteeringwheel.htm

Pip1968 said:
you will need to put in a resistor to prevent the airbag light being illuminated if your new wheel is airbag deficient.

Where can I get one? Im putting in a no air bag race wheel yes

Maplins is your best bet, 2.8 ohms, cheap as chips, get a decent soldering iron some shrink wrap and solder, while you are at it. I use an Antex one, 50 Watts. Many hours of fun including a retro OBC fit.

Cheers mate Ill get one, do you know if anyone or place sells a lead already made up that I can just connect?

Apologies for bringing up the dull subject of Insurance, but if you're planning on using the car on the road they might take a dim view of doing away with the airbag? Claims have been refused for less.

K888ETH said:
Apologies for bringing up the dull subject of Insurance, but if you're planning on using the car on the road they might take a dim view of doing away with the airbag? Claims have been refused for less.

I informed my insurer Classic Line and they had no issues. Good to ask your insurer it's ok first though before taking it all apart.

Ref resister, the Maplins one I bought wouldn't do it, so I bought a proper car one off eBay, that worked a treat :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back