Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will I miss the performance moving from a 996t to a 912?

Jay.

I currently have a 996tt which is great fun, and very quick, but I find myself only using 50% of the car due to traffic/the law.

I love old cars and I'm actually a big fan of the shape of the 912's... but they're so underpowered it hurts. Does anyone know if they still "drive" well? .. I had a blast driving my 116bhp Mk1 MX5, so I know it's not all about power..

Anyone have any similar comparisons? Opinions? Wake-up calls?

quick answer is , yes you will miss the power.

But, a well driven 912 can still be a quick car if its about stringing some corners togther rather than acceleration.

In reality, youre not buying a 912 for the same experience as a turbo though. A 912 will be great for just driving about it and coming back home feeling like youve actually driven , rather than been a passenger. Also, with todays traffic being what it is , you'll probo find yourself buzzing along at 50mph along with everyone else , but unlike the turbo where you're constantly looking for the next place to overtake, you'll be sat back taking it all in with a smile on your face

You will be going back a long time in history to old technology so of course it will be different. Whether you miss the 996tt is down to what you want from the car. If its history and nostalgia then the 912 fills it. If its brute torque and power (and possibly reliability) that you want then the 912 wont tick that box.

Jay. said:
Anyone have any similar comparisons? Opinions? Wake-up calls?

IMHO....

I'd sell my 996T for an early 911/912 quite happily.

I think of it like this: I used to have an R1, then my dad bought a 125 to do his CBT on. When he bought it I rode it home...it was probably the most fun ride I ever had :grin:

I didn't feel the need to ride 100mph+ EVERY time I sat on the thing, I could enjoy the road/views AND I did that pushing motion when it maxed out at 60odd MPH :floor: to try to get an extra few mph out of it :D

Go for it, you can always revert back :thumb:

Not quite the same jump but I made a similar move a few years ago. I had a slightly modified 996GT2 which I kept for three years, sold it and bought a 993C2S.
Whilst I loved the sheer grunt and outright ability of the GT2, it was impossible to push the car on normal roads, whereas the 993 was so much more fun as you could exploit the cars potential a lot more of the time. Plus it is far easier to balance on the throttle as there's no turbo spool.

I imagine a good 912 or early 911 would be great fun as you can exploit the revs a whole lot more than you can with a modern Turbo, particularly on UK roads. :thumb:

C.

I've got a 912e with the webers fitted quite quick for a little car cruise all day at 85,and goes round the bends like a go kart
what I like about it is its a simple car,no gizmos just an engine gearbox and a set of carbs
gets loads of looks and thumbs up wherever I go and due to its age is tax free,and come april/may next year will mot exempt
oh yes and is cheaper to inure than my tdi polo
also at my age my days of blasting around at daft speeds have long gone

Of course go for it. Don't get caught up in psychological attachment. Remind yourself : Life is for experiencing!!

Don't stand still and watch life go by. Enjoy the experience of a 912. When you're driving the 912 one day and you see another car in your affordability sell the 912 and buy that next car.

Look at it this way, you can either be chatting with Porsche enthusiasts and say I've owned a 996T for the last 10yrs. Or you could be interesting by means of experience and knowledge of having owned a 996T, 912, 986, 997.2, 991, 987.

:thumb:

Sub 100hp,aircooled engine,fun by the bucketload, go for it!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to see if I can drive one for a short while to see how it feels.

My main concern is that I already have a 1972 Datsun 240z which ticks a lot of the same boxes that the 912 would

Jay. said:
My main concern is that I already have a 1972 Datsun 240z which ticks a lot of the same boxes that the 912 would

There's your solution then.

Bin the Z car, buy a 912 and keep the 996T. :thumbs:

T8 said:
Jay. said:

There's your solution then.

Bin the Z car, buy a 912 and keep the 996T. :thumbs:

If I could get a 912 for the same value as the 240, I'd give it a go! Ha.

After having driven an old 911, I couldn't stop smiling. No doubt ones in my future now. Just need to figure out a plan to get it!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back