Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC BOX vs Ohlins R&T Coilovers?

RXP.

Monza
Does anyone have any experience of these or better both?

What do you recommend?

All I can tell you is I am very impressed with the DSC module on my gen2 4S
and they are much cheaper than Ohlins . from what I understand the Ohlins would be the better of the options but whether thats the cheaper Ohlins or the 4k plus ones I cant be sure, but for around 1k the DSC goes a long way in the right direction. :thumb:

DSC module is good but the Ohlins are awesome...

Thanks for the opinions guys.

My last car was an M3 with KW clubsport coilovers running very aggressive camber.

From what I've heard, especially from the mitsubishi evolution boys is that the ohlins are great.

I think I would be very happy with the ohlins however I am wondering wether the DSC box which would be around half the cost would be better than half as good?

Regards.

Can't comment on the DSC box but ran Ohlins on my Megane and they'll be the first mod I do to my 997 to replace the sports suspension it's currently on. I thought they were superb. Especially the damping on our rough roads.

Attachments

• img_1124_194.jpg
    img_1124_194.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3,158
I run Ohlins R&T for over 12 months now and absolutely wouldn't have anything else.

Whilst the DSC module seems cheaper on the surface the fact is you are still running on old shock absorbers which will need replacing at some point, and as most people seem to add lowering springs at the same time the cost saving is minimal compared to having brand new suspension.

I think the DSC is a great solution for newer cars or if you have already refreshed your damper units as the standard pasm is awful IMO but if you car is already 5+ years old seems like a short term fix.

You also get to set your cars height perfectly too :thumbs:

I'm not sure it's a like for like comparison as Bilstein B16 Damptronics with the TPC Racing DSC software are basically optimised active suspension, whereas Ohlins R&T are adjustable passive suspension. Each serves a different purpose. I can't say I find the damping on my 997 with TPC to be lacking.

On the other hand, if you really want to work on your set up, by all means, switch out the Bilsteins for Ohlins, and then continue spending a lot of time and effort on camber plates, split lower arms, new anti roll bars and adjustable end links... etc. Or just enjoy the ride on your 911.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not anti Ohlins at all, I have them on the other car, and very fine they are too, but I have a 997 with Damptronics and I wanted to get the best out of the Bilsteins too, and now I have a car with a great ride, and no dive, no squat and barely any roll. It's almost amazing.

Agree completely with the above.

The DSC is not a cheap suspension fix - it is an upgrade that can be used with the original dampers/springs but is much better with a set of coilovers. Bilstein are an option as are the (very expensive) Tractive coilovers for the hardcore track guys.

The DSC combined with good coilovers is in a class of its own.

MaxA said:
I'm not sure it's a like for like comparison as Bilstein B16 Damptronics with the TPC Racing DSC software are basically optimised active suspension, whereas Ohlins R&T are adjustable passive suspension. Each serves a different purpose. I can't say I find the damping on my 997 with TPC to be lacking.

On the other hand, if you really want to work on your set up, by all means, switch out the Bilsteins for Ohlins, and then continue spending a lot of time and effort on camber plates, split lower arms, new anti roll bars and adjustable end links... etc. Or just enjoy the ride on your 911.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not anti Ohlins at all, I have them on the other car, and very fine they are too, but I have a 997 with Damptronics and I wanted to get the best out of the Bilsteins too, and now I have a car with a great ride, and no dive, no squat and barely any roll. It's almost amazing.

Great post Max :thumb: you are right IMO its not really a like for like comp as they do serve differing needs. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back