Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK Software update - anyone had it

MNC911

Sao Paulo
As per the title - after a few messages of advice from Demort OPC is going to update the PDK software next week. I've been informed it'll take a few hours and a noticeable difference.

After a little research this afternoon on the Internet as what to expect there's a variety of information.

So has anyone had the PDK software update that is willing to share their experiences?

:thumb:

For the 997 or for the current 991 gen PDK's?

Anything on the US forums?

997.2 '08 to '12 PDK

What sort of cost is involved ? I am due a service in May, with a view to renewing the warranty.
I wonder if it was worth trying to blag a deal on this as well as an update on the nav system :?:

Free of charge to me, courtesy of Porsche Warranty. :grin:

MNC911 said:
Free of charge to me, courtesy of Porsche Warranty. :grin:

Hope that your right, i still have 18months left :)

Swamps :)

HI all, so quick update as I have the car delivered back today.

It's raining but what the heck I was itching to find out what the latest PDK software package is like. I've took it out for a drive to the A34 and back through the lanes.

It's a tad wet so no hooning, sport / sport+.

First impressions, noticeable difference with the gear changes. I'm going for attempt at describing for anyone thinking of upgrading.

So first off gear changes are a lot smoother. More blended together. I used to be able to feel everyone snatching the next gear going up the box. 2-3-4-5. Snatching maybe the wrong word to use. Yet the exhaust notes remain definitive and not blurred together.

Secondly going down the gears is so much better. Especially using 3-2-1. It's totally removed the jarring. It's as if it's running a slipper clutch. Anyone who rides motor bikes will know what I'm talking about. Exactly the same feeling as a slipper clutch.

Thirdly, the transmission seems to coast a lot longer. So say for example dropping from 3rd to 2nd, before you could feel the engine braking the vehicle. Now it's more reliant on actually using the foot brake to slow the vehicle down. That bit did nearly catch me out, as I wasn't expecting it and I'm used to having more engine braking along side the brakes.

All in all, initial thoughts are really positive. I really like the DE and PDK latest software upgrades by Porsche.

Hopefully it'll be dry tomorrow and I can use PSE with Sport & Sport+ to give more feedback to everyone. :thumb:

Any idea what the software version installed was?

I had mine done at Indie, but my understanding is that an OPC will do it if the customer complains of dodgy shift quality, in other words it's not done unless you ask for it to be done and it shouldn't cost you. It didn't take that long to do, maybe 20 minutes.

nigel99 said:
Any idea what the software version installed was?

When I was talking to the tech he was explaining the version to start with was Number 34, the one installed was 42 (I think it was 42, it's forty something).

They couldn't say what it does, but that's OK, I'll do that for them.

MJA911 said:
I had mine done at Indie, but my understanding is that an OPC will do it if the customer complains of dodgy shift quality, in other words it's not done unless you ask for it to be done and it shouldn't cost you. It didn't take that long to do, maybe 20 minutes.

I mentioned this whilst my car has been in with my OPC. Reported back all was fine with the shifting, despite it clearly not being as fast as some of the newer 991's I've driven. Not sure how to progress this further under the warranty. I suppose they have to justify the claim and how would they do if functioning accordingly. Likely opinion driven!!

I don't think it needs to be a warranty issue, the way it was explained to me is that it's not a recall or something that they do as part of a service software update, but it's something they'll do if the customer complains about the shift quality.

MJA911 said:
I don't think it needs to be a warranty issue, the way it was explained to me is that it's not a recall or something that they do as part of a service software update, but it's something they'll do if the customer complains about the shift quality.

Yes, that is correct. I can't understand why OPC's wouldn't do it. But I tell you what it's worth doing. It's ruddy nice and smooth clicking manually down the box.

Just tell them straight you want it doing. In fact take the manager for a passenger ride and show him / her how it is nasty.

Once you get it done you'll see what I'm saying how smooth it is with the software update.

I am keen to learn more. I dont feel that my PDK is wanting, so i'm curious to know if the Turbo has different PDK sofware anyway.

But if there is an upgrade, for free, then i'd like to have it if it will be an improvement.

What was yours like before? Did you describe it on another thread?

If a car has a specific fault andf is under warrenty then it will be free .. ifnot then chargable.

The OPC would probably need to contact Technical as there never used to be a specific update just different ways of fixing PDK faults ,Technical would then advise the OPC on what needs doing .

That may well have changed now though and be just a single update .

If you get no joy with your OPC then ask that they put a " Ticket " into Technical as you are sure its not correct .. thats normally the best way forward with PDK faults.

@ MNC911 is it all ok and driving well now ?

Also did you get the window fixed ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back