Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top gear exhaust?

segart

Looking through the archives I see that Top Gear exhausts are fairly highly rated here. I am thinking of buying a set for myself for Christmas. The question is, should I get the full set including manifolds, cats, boxes and twin tips for my c4s? Also do they make a decent noise but not too loud?
Cheers
Rick

I have one but mine is on a Turbo, so maybe not a fair comparison

Pretty pleased with it for the money though

My Top Gear I now have fitted:

My previous DANSK, that dropped to bits in under 2 years:

DANSK are more throatier and noisey and the Top Gear more discreet but still have a bit of a roar. Both sets are with cheap £120 Chinese manifolds fitted (which improved the sound of the Dansk over the standard Porsche manifolds fitted).

Topgear are great quality , I had topgear valved sports boxes and 200 cell big bore cats coupled with X51 headers from NHP

mine with just the valved sports boxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8rQLPjFfw

mine with the valved sports boxes and the 200 cell big bore cats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH72-Tgm9to

forum member Shabs set up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26fjqA6eUt8

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.co...7_Carrera_X51_Style_NHP_Exhaust_Headers_.html

Loved the sound that set up made. :thumb:

I've just fitted a pair of top gear boxes with 200 cell cats on my C4S and I'm fairly happy with them. The quality seems pretty good - not perfect as the mounts on one of the boxes have been welded on a bit wonky making it a real pain to line up but for the cost of them I couldn't complain. They look pretty solid and I went for the quieter ones and they just give the car a bit more purpose without being raspy or really burbly - depends what you're after though I guess.

I avoided the manifolds as I don't want to have to mess about with most of the studs having to be drilled out. I replaced the O2 sensors as well at the same time with 4 new Bosch ones.

Thanks for all that. I think I will go with the full set minus the manifolds. And opt for the least noisy version. I like the idea of a better sound but don't want to reinvent myself as a wannabe race driver!
Cheers Rick

Are you going for like for like on the Cats or the X-pipe version? Im going X-pipe when I get round to it, I fitted the Kline system with 200cel cats and x-pipe to my old C4s and it was perfect, not to loud but above 4000rpm it just sang. I would say the Topgear system would be analogous to it but a cheaper option.

Its produces more of a howl than a growl (as per std system set up). Depends on what you like.

I also have a top gear exhaust (the type with crossover pipe connecting the boxes) on my 996 Turbo. No quality issues and I've had it on the car 18 months. There's some drone between 2-3k but, as I understand, most 996 turbo aftermarket exhaust do that. Sounds great at higher revs and gives a few little pops and quiet crackles when coming off the throttle, although not like some of these modern cars. Can't go wrong for money but could be a little annoying on a daily driver. I think a valved X pipe exhaust is the way to go but although it's not a cheap car, I can't dump thousands into one.

I also have a top gear exhaust (the type with crossover pipe connecting the boxes) on my 996 Turbo. No quality issues and I've had it on the car 18 months. There's some drone between 2-3k but, as I understand, most 996 turbo aftermarket exhaust do that. Sounds great at higher revs and gives a few little pops and quiet crackles when coming off the throttle, although not like some of these modern cars. Can't go wrong for money but could be a little annoying on a daily driver. I think a valved X pipe exhaust is the way to go but although it's not a cheap car, I can't dump thousands into one.

Forgot to mention - I also like mine because it sets off (other people's) car alarms in the covered car park at work!

:)

Childish, I know....

Fitted my silencers last week, quality is very good, service was great, phoned for a chat first then they arrived the next day.

I went for the loud ones and they're not that loud, I think I'd have been disappointed if I'd gone for the standard ones.

There is a slight drone when cruising but the noise when you put your foot down is great, I did a track day on Sunday and the noise when thrashed was excellent.

They're also a breeze to fit, the only issue is removing the old boxes. Out of 14 bolts I could only undo 1, the others had to be cut off. And as mentioned the manifolds can be worse so I didn't touch those.

I've been considering the valved Top Gear silencers for my 4S but having studied the photo's versus the Designtek one's, they look to be very similar if not infact the same, albeit cheaper at £695 from Design911 versus £950 from Top Gear (pre any discount that might apply). Can anyone confirm if they are definitely different / better / worth the additonal cost?

i've never actually heard the top gear exhausts in the flesh
but what has impressed me is their customer care :thumb:
which certainly out does the customer care of the likes of dansk etc

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back