Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Still have an oil drip!

decgraham

Well, after all my hard work I still have an oil drip :x Started the car up whilst on the axle stands, lay underneath it and watched and waited. I noticed a drip appearing as shown in the first and second pictures, it then slowly trickled down the crankcase, third picture. However, I wiped it a way a couple of times and by the time the car was up to temperature there was nothing coming out. So can the experts out there please tell me what I need to do? The RHS is absolutely bone dry as are all the areas where I have replaced the various gaskets.

Must say that I'm a little disappointed, but as they say here que sera sera.

ATB :)

Attachments

• oil_on_crankcase_105.jpeg
    oil_on_crankcase_105.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 6,514
  • oil_leak_lhs_front_172.jpg
    oil_leak_lhs_front_172.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 6,514
  • small_drip_758.jpeg
    small_drip_758.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 6,512
Hi mate, is your car varioram or not?, if it is please check that the lower varioram actuator isn't leaking as that was the source of a leak on my motor.

Trev

Hi Trev,

No unfortunately mine is non varioram. I have a feeling, having looked at the PET it might be the O ring at the bottom of the middle cylinder No2 on the LHS :sad:

However, I am not taking the blo*dy engine out.

decgraham said:
Hi Trev,

No fortunately mine is non varioram. I have a feeling, having looked at the PET it might be the O ring at the bottom of the middle cylinder No2 on the LHS :sad:

However, I am not taking the blo*dy engine out.

Let me edit that for you. ;)

C.

Hi cableguy, yes I agree completely :lol: but I was just thinking if it could be the source of my leak I'd live with varioram :thumb:

Highly likely the bottom base gaskets on one or more barrel unless its coming fro the top of the engine. Time to maybe go to slightly thicker oil 10w50 or just live with it. Only way to fix is a top end rebuild.

Sure it's not coming from the return tubes? That's where mine came from, even though, (like yours) it doesn't appear to be coming from there.

Hi Will,

When you say return tubes do you mean the oil tubes, part no 36 in the PET, page 11? (see attached) If so I gave both a very good clean with de-greaser and watched them like a hawk after running the engine up and could see nothing coming from the area. I'll have another look just to double check so thanks for the advice.

I did at first think / hope it was coming from the return pipe so took off the coupling and fitted a new aluminium sealing ring and tightened up the coupling nice and tight. You can see that I put a small dent in one of the tubes :oops: but it wasn't coming from there.

Attachments

• pic_showing_tubes_582.jpg
    pic_showing_tubes_582.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 6,288
I believe you can now get collapsable oil return tubes so they can be installed with the engine in situ.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Yes you can, they are about £23.00 each from Euro car parts, OEM quality, original Porsche a lot more :x

decgraham said:
Hi Will,

When you say return tubes do you mean the oil tubes, part no 36 in the PET, page 11? (see attached) If so I gave both a very good clean with de-greaser and watched them like a hawk after running the engine up and could see nothing coming from the area. I'll have another look just to double check so thanks for the advice.

I did at first think / hope it was coming from the return pipe so took off the coupling and fitted a new aluminium sealing ring and tightened up the coupling nice and tight. You can see that I put a small dent in one of the tubes :oops: but it wasn't coming from there.

Yes, they're the ones I mean. Mine would appear not to leak, but there would be a drip like yours after a run. I had mine changed for the collapsible ones and it cured the leak. Lucky for me, as a cheap cure rather than heads off!! Hope yours may be the same!

Hi Will,

Next time I take the car out for a run, when I get back I'll get her up on the old axle stands and have a good look. If it does turn out to be the tubes or one of them it'll be a lot cheaper fix than a top end re-seal.

Hi, I'm afraid that that looks like a case thru bolt leak. These usually happen when the oil get changed from what the car always had to lighter, synthetic oils. Oils with detergents can also clear out the build up of gunk that can lead to leaks.

Only way to fix that is to rebuild the engine...

Try a higher viscosity oil like a 10/50 or even a 15/50 depending on your climate

Regards
GR

Hi GR,

You are right, my car's original oil was changed and it went over to Mobil 1 0/40, but to be honest that was at least 14/15 years ago when my Indy in Q8 recommended it.

The drip does seem to stop though when the car is fully warmed up.

Thanks for the advice, with the car in Spain I would think that 15/50 would be a bit too much ? but when I next do an oil and filter change I'll try a 10/50. Can you recommend a good brand?

Also, the RHS is as dry as a bone so would you recommend doing both sides or is it worth and can you get away with doing just the LHS ? I realise if the engine is out I should tackle as much as possible but just curious.

Hi ATB,

You could strip down all of one side of the engine, once the cam carrier if off you could remove the barrel above that case bolt but it would not be a good idea. It would be a huge amount of work and when you're that far in it's make sense to rebuild it.

As for oil, the warmer the climate the thicker the oil you can get away with. A 10/50 Will be fine. Porsche used those oils on the 964 if I member rightly. Mobil 1 0/40 was never the best oil for air cooled engines, especially as they get older. That however is just my opinion.

The Mobil 1 Motorsport oil is excellent in these engines. Or Millers Nano tech oils which are reassuring expensive.

Regards
GR

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back