Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 10
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Albionmuz
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

More garage queens than used cars?

My Targa had done less than 2k in 6 years when I bought it last November. I have tried to limit how much I drive it but have still managed to rack up 3.5k including an 8 hour drive in each direction from Caen to South West France. What fun that was.

I reckon I will struggle to do less than that every year, thus wiping value off the car year on year...but we are only here the once....probably
Alfa 159 Sportwagon
Porsche 968 Cab Tip
Lexus IS 200

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

Albionmuz wrote:
I have tried to limit how much I drive it

Confused I just don't get this logic.

You buy a car and don't want to use it. In which case I can recommend a marble plinth as you're clearly in the invester camp. Rolling Eyes

If I was ever to put on a pair of Jonttt rose tinted specs I'd suggest that racking up nominal mileage you aint going to lose much and that surely is the price you pay for enjoying the car Dont know

You're still paying for maintenance on it, you'll still be changing the rubber due to age and not wear so just use it Wink

Only thing that limits my driving is free time.

If there is going to be a member count (with the obligatory 'values' undertone) I reckon Jonttt will be the lowest user having only driven it for its annual service and then home again Hand

I've got colleagues around me (50s, 60s) either suddenly dying, terminal illness, dementia (at 64 Surprised ) which is making me realise you can have all the spare cash and missed opportunities but they're no good when you're dead. nooo

wozy
Imola

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
Albionmuz wrote:

You buy a car and don't want to use it. In which case I can recommend a marble plinth as you're clearly in the invester camp. Rolling Eyes

If I was ever to put on a pair of Jonttt rose tinted specs I'd suggest that racking up nominal mileage you aint going to lose much and that surely is the price you pay for enjoying the car Dont know

You're still paying for maintenance on it, you'll still be changing the rubber due to age and not wear so just use it Wink

If there is going to be a member count (with the obligatory 'values' undertone) I reckon Jonttt will be the lowest user having only driven it for its annual service and then home again Hand

I've got colleagues around me (50s, 60s) either suddenly dying, terminal illness, dementia (at 64 Surprised ) which is making me realise you can have all the spare cash and missed opportunities but they're no good when you're dead. nooo

This ^^^^^^. I rack up around 6K miles a year in mine. If the insurance allowed it, it would be twice that amount. Very Happy

993 C2. MBM. C4 mounts, RSRs, RS Short shifter. RS steering wheel. FSDs & M033s
Previous 2.7S, 3.2, 964 and 968CS

Albionmuz
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
Albionmuz wrote:

I thought 3500 miles would be quite high in comparison to most on here and I do have 5 other cars to consider too Surprised
Alfa 159 Sportwagon
Porsche 968 Cab Tip
Lexus IS 200

HPNer
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:

Yep, I'm going doolally . . . but I never regret putting miles on mine.
Around 9k last year, and loved every minute!
Thumb
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it real Thumb

BTW there are a few silent Iuuminati 'brethren' who haven't posted for ages. Rumour has it they've taken the dough Dont know

madalaa
Yas Marina

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine for just under ten years ........ I bought it with 66k on the clock and sold it with 107K on the clock ....... a decent mileage was covered and most of that was on trips to the Continent.

p.s. Haven't you got your smart phone yet?

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing 10k per year at first, but now have the insurance limit so probably only do about 3k now.
The car did spend over a year away having all sorts done to it and only did about 300 miles last year!
I'm starting to put that right now, but as Zingers said - getting time to drive these cars can be hard work. I personally only use mine at weekends, days off and holidays. I will not spend rush hour sat on the M6 in the 993 every day - as good a car as they are, this is no fun.

madge
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,191 miles between my last two MOTs.

It's not that I'm deliberately trying to keep the miles down (that horse has already bolted), it's just that I don't really have many opportunities to drive it. I knew this before I bought it and although I couldn't justify the purchase based on usage I decided to do it anyway for exactly the reasons Zingari described about not knowing what's around the corner in life, missed opportunities and all that.

I still get a lot of enjoyment from the car even though I don't drive it a great deal. I love the process of getting it just how I want it, of cleaning it and sometimes just looking at it. I don't begrudge spending any money on it because it's all part of improving it. I suppose I get a bit of a thrill from just possessing it.

I can understand that for some the enjoyment of a car is all about the driving but that's only a part of it for me. Perhaps it's my personality type but it wouldn't feel quite as special to me if I was driving it nine or ten thousand miles a year. In fact, I seem to deliberately restrict most things that I find enjoyable. I think the anticipation of something is half of the enjoyment for me. ( what any psychiatrists on the forum? I might have some 'issues'.)

kerb scraper
Spa-Francorchamps

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am way too embarrassed to disclose how few miles I drove it this year.

Here are just some of the reasons I always seem to come up with:

I’ll have to move the Rangie out of the way first

It’s raining, has rained, looks like it might rain

There’s nowhere safe to park

The car park will be too busy to find an isolated space

They don’t have a driveway so I’ll have to park outside on a busy road and the locals can’t be trusted not to key/steal it

It’s too hot and there’s nowhere in the shade to park

There’s salt on the road

Part of the route involves passing through an area where they all drive like tw*ts

It’s too short a distance to get the engine properly warm

I need to take XXXXX with me and the boot is too small

It’s a bit far and that drive belt really needs changing first

I need to give mother a lift and she can’t get in/out of it

Think I need help. Embarassed

Millomboy
Suzuka

1997 Porsche 993 Targa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 5000 miles every year since I bought it in 2012.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madalaa wrote:

p.s. Haven't you got your smart phone yet?

I'm saving up for Christmas Thumb Rolling Eyes

tim993
Shanghai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zingers - how many miles a year in the fabled silver surfer? Or are you keeping it low to promote a rose-tinted glow Grin Grin Grin

1995 993 turbo
2015 981 GTS

highway
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are these “ Iuuminati” of whom you speak? I know who they are. They meet bi-annually to discuss values, acceptable modifications and those gagging to divest themselves of their 80’s 964’s in order to get with the cool kids in 993’s.

Fulla
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine for 9 years which I can't believe...longest I have ever owned a car. Think I bought it with 60k or 70k, now it has 163k.
Used as a company car and drove all over the place in all weathers, including.....winter when that salt stuff is all over the road.
I am not driving so much for work these days as my customers offices are either a tube ride away or short 40 min round trip. But I do use it as it is my only car on the road now. Suspect though that I am only doing a max of 3-5k a year now.
I feel privileged to own a car I dreamt of and couldn't bare just looking at it and polishing it. I think time allowing we all have a responsibility to drive them and enjoy them, we are lucky to be able to afford them as many can't.
Ex 993 C2
Ex 996 C2

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles per year in your 993 Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
Albionmuz wrote:

Actually mine has done 0 miles this year, yep not even a trip to be serviced or MOT’d, its ..... resting Smile

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

tyinsky
Spa-Francorchamps

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the car at the end of May last year, have now covered 11k in it, including driving it to the South of France for a couple of work meetings, the N500 in Scotland, a chunk of the Wild Atlantic Way when I collected the car (bought from Dublin), Evo Triangle in North Wales twice. Driving it to Liverpool for the day and back next week, and Cornwall the week after.

Bought in at current prices, have already spent about £15k on maintenance, have a bit more to do and am considering doing a 3.8 conversion next year. No way this car makes economic sense but it’s the car I want to drive. New Porsches don’t appeal to me.

Agree with the comment above that more or less says we have limited time here. And would also add that driving fast cars on the road, and affordable use oil fuels are going to be a thing of the past within 10 years (self drive, electric vehicles, invasive data and monitoring). Enjoy them while we still can
Thumb

nickjonesn4
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Got the car at the end of May last year, have now covered 11k in it, including driving it to the South of France for a couple of work meetings, the N500 in Scotland, a chunk of the Wild Atlantic Way when I collected the car (bought from Dublin), Evo Triangle in North Wales twice. Driving it to Liverpool for the day and back next week, and Cornwall the week after.

Bought in at current prices, have already spent about £15k on maintenance, have a bit more to do and am considering doing a 3.8 conversion next year. No way this car makes economic sense but it’s the car I want to drive. New Porsches don’t appeal to me.

Agree with the comment above that more or less says we have limited time here. And would also add that driving fast cars on the road, and affordable use oil fuels are going to be a thing of the past within 10 years (self drive, electric vehicles, invasive data and monitoring). Enjoy them while we still can
Thumb

Exactly!

stutaler
Nürburgring

1998 Porsche 993 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use my C4S as often as I can however this has a downside the car was seen many times on my drive and the result some scrotes broke into my home found the keys and took it away.
It was recovered by 10.30 am as it had been parked up to determine if it was tracked or not.
Consequently this year from MOT to MOT it has only done 984 miles. Previous year I drove down through the Alps across southern France and through the Pyrenees to Santander and back home by ferry all in circa 4000 miles that year.
The car currently has 85,000 miles on the clock and needs a repaint to fix what the scrotes did getting it out of my garage. So this year looks like another low milage year. Mad

Foot note: the car no longer stays at my home.

MattyR
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the third car camp so my 993 gets light use and always has done. My lowest year was 150 miles as we’d just moved and had our daughter. The first year of ownership was, ironically, the highest so far as mileage was concerned. We lived in London but this was our sole car and got used for everything from grabbing coffee down the road on a Sunday, drives into Bloomsbury and blasts into the countryside with our dog! (also had a nice little lock-up a few doors down from our flat - car is now kept on the drive!)

Over the summer it was my daily for commuting into London a couple of days a week whilst my new car was being built. That was great fun (really it was - I need a cup holder though). So I covered a couple of thousand this year.

Next year I anticipate a mileage hike as I’m coming to the end of the mechanical overhaul. It’s going to be used for everything from the commute to a wedding in Austria 🇦🇹. Just as a 155k banger should be! Grin

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: