Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New disk/pads

Dave Smith

Silverstone
Any recommendation on who to go to for replacing disks/pads on my 996.2 ? Just looking for OEM/original spec, not an upgrade.

OPC quoted silly numbers at me.

I'm in Thames Valley area.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Have you tried Northway near Reading?

Mike

Dave Smith said:
Any recommendation on who to go to for replacing disks/pads on my 996.2 ? Just looking for OEM/original spec, not an upgrade.

Cheers

Dave

Give me a laugh, what did they quote? All round yes?

I will take a guess at £1,500

Dave Smith said:

Cheers

Dave

I've just gone with Pagid discs and pads all round complimented by stainless hoses and a higher dot rated fluid. Much better than the rusty discs that were on there. (The cars only been with me for 2 months!). It won't get tracked so no need for aftermarket high performance pads for me.

I use a local motorsports mail order company and paid £290 for the discs and pads and spent 2hrs at friends unit swapping them over. Quite easy really if it's just discs and pads.

Left him to do the brake lines and system flush!

They are taking the pi$$, aren't they?

I've priced Pagid parts with Eurocar Parts and the whole lot is about £320.

So, only £1200 to fit - £300 per wheel!

I did a bit of research on here before fitting new fronts earlier this year - general consensus was that Sebro discs and Textar pads are the same as OEM. Sourced mine from ECP along with the shims and sensors - can't remember exact price but they were certainly very competitive. Just be aware they do two versions of the Sebro discs - drilled and grooved so make sure you pick the right type for you.
Was a pretty straightforward job as well - probably less than two hours work all in.

Cheers.Ian

I was in a similar position with my Panamera, recently.

I went to https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/car-parts.Their discounts go from 10%-20%, so keep an eye out (I got 19%....).

They have a huge range and I know Zimmerman are seriously proud of their quality (they even rustproof-coat their discs!).

Porsche wanted £542+VAT per disc ( :eek: ).

I got them for £190 each inclusive of VAT and delivery! Added Zimmerman pads and Bosch wear sensors for less than £100, too.

The discs/pads look fantastic; better than (and visually indistinguishable from) OEM, to my eyes.

Fitted them myself (Really not hard, see YouTube). Saved £1000.....

Don't forget, your friendly local OPC will also buy in the parts for less than you can get from cp4l for. Gotta pay for that "free" coffee somehow.

:pc:

Discs and pads is an easy peasy job.

The only real risk is if the caliper bolts are seized into the alloy hub.

I think they changed the bolts from allen head ones to torx head ones as they do sometimes round off.

You can get the revised bolts from said friendly OPC.

Good point; you must get the bolts from the OPC; they should be changed every time you take the callipers off.

For the money I saved, I could have got a serious car-jack (£300), all the Torx and other drive-bit sets under the sun (£30), a mega Snap-on set of spanners and sockets (£200?) and still have almost £500 left over!

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll check out Northway prices. I sold our old 944 to them nearly 20 years ago!

I also found Brookspeed in Eastleigh. Anyone used them ?

Cheers

Dave

I'll second Northway. My car came from them and I've always used them for servicing. They're a good bunch.

My 1999 C2 had a full front & rear disc and pad change earlier this year, with refreshed brake fluid and road test. All Pagid parts - £480 (inc VAT) fitted by my local garage. Nice feel, powerful and fade free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back