Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any ideas why touchup paint would do this?

Stephenjk

I have a guard red 964 which I've had for a month and it has been touched up but touch up paint is darker than body colour. Do you think a prior owner has touched up in wrong colour or can the touch up paint age quicker than the normal paint? Anyone seem something similar?

Attachments

• img_20171031_222039_2320x1305_129.jpg
    img_20171031_222039_2320x1305_129.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 7,143
  • img_20171031_222101_1305x2320_454.jpg
    img_20171031_222101_1305x2320_454.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 7,143
Congrats on the car. I used to have a red c2 964. Great car. Enjoy.

Re the touch up. Looks like an old and poor effort. Try Chipex.co.uk.

:welcome:

Nice car. Regarding the paintwork, it looks like there was some ***** between the floor and the aerosol.

:D

Thanks for your replies. If i do a good enough job redoing this ill post a before and after.

Thanks for comments on car, i got it from phil raby, it is this one if you are interested in taking a look https://youtu.be/nYAg-P0iVK8

Stephen

Red is a very difficult colour to match, even when done professionally. Normally the only touch up that will match in perfectly is the one filled from the batch that was mixed when they sprayed the car.
You may need to go to a professional outfit to get a good match.
I had a bad chip on my bonnet and it took a week to build it up to the right depth so that it almost disappeared, fill it-let it dry-smooth down-fill again and so on.

easternjets said:
Red is a very difficult colour to match, even when done professionally. Normally the only touch up that will match in perfectly is the one filled from the batch that was mixed when they sprayed the car.
You may need to go to a professional outfit to get a good match.
I had a bad chip on my bonnet and it took a week to build it up to the right depth so that it almost disappeared, fill it-let it dry-smooth down-fill again and so on.

What do you smooth it down with inbetween layers? Fine sand paper by hand? Id worry my da is too big.

Stephenjk said:
Thanks for your replies. If i do a good enough job redoing this ill post a before and after.

Thanks for comments on car, i got it from *****, it is this one if you are interested in taking a look https://youtu.be/nYAg-P0iVK8

Stephen

Gorgeous. Love the linen interior!

First of all I build up the paint, that may take 3 or 4 dabs of touch up. Then let it dry for a day at least, then rub it gently with some 'T' cut, keep an eye on the level of the paint, when it's about level add some more and so on till you build it up to the same level as the original paint.
It is a bit of a laborious job but it only takes a few minutes each day, Black is probably the easiest colour to do.
Another tip is make sure the paint is warm, cold paint doesn't run nearly as well as warm paint. I normally stand the touch up in very warm water for 10 mins then use it.
There's also that 'warm' feeling when you get it just right and the chip is pretty much invisible.

easternjets said:
First of all I build up the paint, that may take 3 or 4 dabs of touch up. Then let it dry for a day at least, then rub it gently with some 'T' cut, keep an eye on the level of the paint, when it's about level add some more and so on till you build it up to the same level as the original paint.
It is a bit of a laborious job but it only takes a few minutes each day, Black is probably the easiest colour to do.
Another tip is make sure the paint is warm, cold paint doesn't run nearly as well as warm paint. I normally stand the touch up in very warm water for 10 mins then use it.
There's also that 'warm' feeling when you get it just right and the chip is pretty much invisible.

Thanks that is very helpful, will give that a go. It really stands out at the moment so would be great if i can fix it.

Looking good!

Not many of us left with Linen interior, most swap to black. I love the look though!

Chris

Bit shocked the dealer didn't tidy that snot up before selling it :?:

Most likely that you need to really shake the touch up in order to be sure all of the colours that make up your touch up mix together when you need to use it.
There Will be 5 + (different) colour ingredients which make the colour 'Guards Red'

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back