Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo oil failure light help!

Eey_ore_9

Monza
Hi guys took my turbo out today for first time in 3 weeks, started up ok no white smoke no blue smoke no rattles. Pulled into shell topped up with shell premium fuel and set of home via quick run down dual carriageway.half way down oil failure light came on,in dash,oil pressure dropped to almost one then went up to five,I immediately pulled over and checked engine for leaks etc.luckily I was only one 1 mile from home.i couldnt see any leaks or drips on road,I did the oil level check and level came up to the right bar on the dash and I have check engine light take car to nearest service centre on clocks.anyone had this issue and what should I be looking for.
Reason I'm asking for help guys is it's a long drive to my preferred Porsche car care centres ( if you know what I mean)

This happened to mine 3 years ago. The fault on my car was the oil pressure sender, a common failure. Had a new one fitted, failed within one more year, the subsequent one has been perfect. £215 fitted by OPC IIRC.

Caveat emptor; do your own checks before assuming this is the same fault on your car! However, it is a common one.

Exactly as above. Happened to me, dodgy oil pressure sender. Red oil failure light comes on and oil pressure needle drops, you **** your pants then it goes back to normal level again. Get it checked but should be nothing more than that.

Revoil sender

Hi guys thanks for replies,yeah sphincter moment I agree lol.been looking on rennsport ,it shows you how to do it so I'm ordering new part Monday and going do it myself.if it works then I know iv found culprit and can safely drive the car,if it doesn't then will have to get the car transported to have scavenge pump checked.il let you know how I get on :thumb:

infrasilver said:
If it is the sender causing your issue the connections can also get dirty and cause a false reading, its worth just cleaning up the connections before shelling out for a new sender unit.

Is it just a case of removing the y piece for access, considering it gets a bit of press about being a common problem bit looks like its been really poorly placed.

infrasilver said:
If it is the sender causing your issue the connections can also get dirty and cause a false reading, its worth just cleaning up the connections before shelling out for a new sender unit.

Good shout, Chris. Always clean the terminals before fitting the sender. It's relatively easy to do on a turbo, but the Y pipe has to come off first. Have a check of the belt and alternator while you're in there.

*Mine went to OPC as the first sensor failed so quickly! Got a 2 year warranty as they had installed it. It hasn't failed yet though :pc:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back