Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 short number plate plinth

Craig180

Evening all, just wondered if anyone has any idea where I might get a short plinth for my Gen 1?

I have a short plate, and apart from taking the plinth off altogether and mounting the plate straight to the bumper I'm struggling to find anything suitable. There seems to be a few available for the Gen 2. Are the bumper shapes really that different??

I planned the same until I took the original plinth off and found loads of holes where other plates had been screwed!

So the smallest I can do is 480 and standard is about 520mm.

You can get stick on plates that comply with the legal requirements these days, so an alternative would be to do away with the plinth altogether.

Disco said:
You can get stick on plates that comply with the legal requirements these days, so an alternative would be to do away with the plinth altogether.

This is my plan.

Is the profile of the Gen1 and Gen2 front bumpers the same?

To give you an idea of the size of plate the pic below shows the rear plate standard size and the front which I want to attach

Attachments

• 1ae5b133_2109_42be_a674_e6f218e84316_469.jpeg
    1ae5b133_2109_42be_a674_e6f218e84316_469.jpeg
    946.7 KB · Views: 5,674
I've got a 5 digit plate and bought one with a side emblem and cut this off so its the same length as the plinth, worked for me.

I got a bodyshop to cut and rejoin mine to make it smaller... a mod that pretty much no one notices :lol:

Easy to do, cut it down and then use a soldering iron to plastic weld it back together.

Had this "cut and shut" mod done on my car too, as I couldn't find a readymade one to fit.

The height AND width are wrong (Gen2 anyway) so I went with a fully legal stick-on plate from dmb graphics. Only £11! Transforms the front end. (5 digit plate). Peel off back of sticker, and Apply washing up liquid/water lubricant from spray bottle for alignment, then when straight, squeegee out the solution with bank card wrapped in a tea towel.

James

On my previous car , I removed plinth altogether. Bought shortest (legal) 6 digit plate from eBay in aluminium. Strong double sided tape straight to bumper :thumb:

(A later mod was to fix a central Zunsport grill and attach it to that)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back