Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on 997 catalytic converter

baha666

I am looking at buying a 997 4S (Gen.2) and was told by a Porsche garage that both catalytic converter have dents and need replacing as they are causing engine misfire, is this true? Can anyone advise if this true or am I being taken for a ride?
Thank you

I don't see how this is possible. The process is a chemical one and furthermore they are 'downwind" of the engine so to speak. A misfire can wreck a catalytic converter but I don't think it's possible the other way round.

Did a salesman tell you this or was it someone from the actual servicing/repair department?

The Cat is a ceramic filter ( close enough description ) and if it is hit it will break .

So you will have an exhaust rattle for a start ( knock it with your hand ) , the cermic can also cause a blockage which will reduce power.

It wont cause a misfire as such though , it will just resrict the exhaust gasses giveing that bank an incorrect mixture so possible poor running .

Wouldnt the misfire be more likely to be either lambda or coilpack ,plugs etc. think thats where I would be looking first. :thumb:

Ironically a misfire will kill a cat. Iain is correct that if the cat is struck hard enough it can get damaged but as he said it's likely to rattle.

Just to be on the 'safe' side, I took mine out.... he he he he....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back