Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension/control arm renewal

Drew1209

I'm intending fitting my coil overs this weekend and I just had a thought regarding all the suspension arms etc.

Now the car drives fine no knocking etc and all the eccentric bolts for setting the geometry are free, are there any real tell tale signs that something is on its way out ?

I assume the arms are original and these will have 100K plus miles but as I say no noises or squeaks.

Expect to struggle with you eccentric adjustment bolts. They tend to seize and are a bit of a job to remove.

MC

Diagonal arms when worn knock .. if they dont knock then they are fine , find a bumpy road .. youll soon know .

If you have no creaks then ball joints will be fine .

Other than that you jack up each wheel and rock top / bottom and side to side .. if no play then its all good .

Cofin arm bushes then a lever bar in the diagonal arm and see if they are debonding .. the rubber bush will have splits in it basically when you lever the arm .

Link rods at the front tend to seize in the hub .. not a problem untill you need to remove them .. then its painfull .

Car was already on axle stands so I've been out with the lever, I can hear a slight knock on the rear diagonals when I lever against the lower arm, sounds like it's coming from where it bolts under the car. This is the arm with the fork that connects to the lower arm.

I can't see/hear anything else at all so would I be right in saying replace the diagonals and all else leave alone.

MC
The eccentric bolts are all free unbelievably so no problems there at all.

I had a coffin arm knock, fixed it. Then another (top mount), then another (forked arms), then another (inner track rod) soon after, the car was like a jack in the box, getting geometry checked each time in the space of 6 months.

I wish I'd just bought all the arms and mountings at first, replaced them all in one go and then enjoyed the car.

Nothing more annoying than knocking suspension.

Nothing better than a 911 with all new suspension, tight as a drum.

I changed all of mine when I changed dampers and springs to the M030 setup, easier to do it all one go and it is out of the way. They were OK, but at 18 years old it can't have been a bad idea.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back