Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk to me about Porsche Doppelkupplung

jotaking

Was the PDK first introduced on the 997.2?

Is the PDK box the same across the range or does each car have its own version?

Does the PDK box get a "full on" re-design for each model..997.2 to 991.1 and then .2?

Is the box the same on a 991.1 Carrera as the 991.1 GT3??

And finally....

Any known issues with the system??

See here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDK_(Porsche_Doppelkupplung)

Yes to the 997.2 in 2009.

There have been issues where complete replacement boxes are required. Im sure there will be some to share these experiences :-( However it would be hard to gauge actual numbers and probably a tiny amount.

As far as use is concerned its just brilliant, the second version of VW DSG is (7 speed) equally awesome. Personally as a previous die hard manual fan im hooked!

For me personally with an item that's so expensive to replace I would always go the OPC warranty route.

The 997.2 was the first time the PDK was seen in a mass produced Porsche, but it was initially introduced in the mid '80s for motorsport in the 956.

The 991 PDK was improved over the 997 PDK.

The PDK installed in the 991 GT3 has a different ratio over the standard 991. Top speed is achieved in 7th gear in the GT3 whereas in the Carrera models top speed is reached in 6th gear, 7th gear providing more efficient economy.

All the above, and more about the PDK is available via Google(other search engines are available).

Thanks for giving me the nudge to have a look. I wasn't aware about the transmission in the 956 until prompted by your post. :thumb:

I think in a 991GT3 the car won't creep forward when in drive compared to the cooking version?

I have the PDK box in my car and it is absolutely superb!
End of.
:thumb:

The best box to have imho .

They can be a pain when cold and maneuvering , they did have a lot of software revisions to correct this and a few other issues back in 09 / 10 .

Not every car had any updates though and i drove one the other day that was crying out to be updated .... not an indy job .

OPC and to a point Indys cant do much repair work on them and like most things they can break , there have been some cases of fluid mix internally ( 2 different fluids ) and thats a new box.

Some leaks again have required a new box .

As has been mentioned .. id rather have a Porsche warrenty if i owned one .. just in case .

Demort said:
They can be a pain when cold and maneuvering , they did have a lot of software revisions to correct this and a few other issues back in 09 / 10 .
Mine is totally fine when cold and manoeuvering, feels a little too much like torque converter auto to be honest. Early 997.2 car, not sure if the software has ever been updated.

The 997.2 doesn't have the blip on downshift which the 991.1 does, wish there was a software update for that!

Ive only test driven a Cayman 3.4s 2014 car which was superb, loved the throttle blip on down change but do all 997.2 not have the throttle blip?

Although I own a manual and love it. There is no denying that the PDK is freaking awesome!!

I have done a couple of Porche experience days and loved every minute in the PDK.

Love the PDK! Have it on my 2010 C4S and while it isn't the latest version I am blown away at how good it really is. In Sport+ mode it's a riot and scared the pants of me when I tried it for the first time ;)

It is NOT bullet proof though.

At 32k miles my dash lit up one day with the red Transmission Emergency Run warning. 20 secs later and the car lost all drive and I was unable to do anything other than put it into neutral and wait for recovery. 1 hour later the car was driven on to the back of the recovery vehicle and sent to OPC. Seems after it cooled down the warning light disappeared and the car seemed ok.

Long story short it turned out to be a faulty transmission oil temp gauge which I gather would have cost over £1.4k to replace and fix but needless to say I was thankful of the OPC warranty and Porsche Recovery(AA) were simply brilliant from the moment I called them.

I can't imagine owning anything else without PDK now.

I have the first version on my late 2008 997.2 although it has had the software updated. (I've not had any judder since.)
It's generally brilliant in both modes but my only criticism is that it will override even in manual mode. For example - I would like to take Goodwood's chicane in 3rd to use the engine's torque to pull me through (as well as keeping the engine revs down for the drive by noise-meter) but when I give it some throttle on the exit (with or without WOT switch) it insists on changing down to 2nd. The solution is, of course, to pull 2nd going through the chicane. And that's one of its best features - seamless changes mid corner!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back