Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 82
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Driver77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Driver77 wrote:
Boba fett wrote:
I never noticed any difference, however, at the last Service Porsche Tech did say, your car car drives like no other I have driven, what have you done? Dont know Dont know Dont know

Grin Thumb Thumb Thumb

If you didn’t notice any difference, is that to suggest you’re not happy with it and not pleased you parted with the money for it?

Floor Floor no Boba didn't notice the difference because when he went to fit it he found he already had one fitted to his car Grin Grin which is why his tech has said he thought it drove so much better than other Turbos he had driven . Thumb

Oh I see, must have misread the thread.

Yet another endorsement, lol, seriously must be impressive🎯

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba fett wrote:
I never noticed any difference, however, at the last Service Porsche Tech did say, your car car drives like no other I have driven, what have you done? Dont know Dont know Dont know

Grin Thumb Thumb Thumb

Said Porsche tech obviously gave your P&J a jolly good spanking Floor
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)

Boba fett
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Boba fett wrote:

Grin Thumb Thumb Thumb

Its not my P&J, but goes to show its a special bit of kit Thumb Thumb

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boba fett wrote:
Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Boba fett wrote:

Grin Thumb Thumb Thumb

Its not my P&J, but goes to show its a special bit of kit Thumb Thumb

And it is indeed a special bit of kit. No question Thumb

boardingnath997
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my unit fitted for 2 weeks now and wanted to give my review. There might be a group lynching against me here but I hope not Embarassed

The unit definitely makes a difference. From the first speed bump I hit I could tell that there was more compliance. Not just on speed bumps but any surface imperfections which tend to be everywhere around London. Perhaps I expected a bit too much but I wouldn't describe it as a 'night and day' or like having new suspension as some others have. In terms of spirited driving, I can't say I noticed a massive difference. I never found the car wanting in this area anyway.

My summary would be that it makes a noticeable difference and it's handy been able to separate the sport and suspension buttons. The around town suspension compliance is better, but not significantly. I agree that the car should have been like this standard. Despite this I'm not sure of the cost/benefit aspect of this mod. If it was a £400-£500 mod I would say go for it. I'm just not sure it's worth the £1k.

krispe
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fitted mine yet, probably won't get round to it till over Xmas.

boardingnath997 - hoping for slightly better results as I'm a 997.1 so adding the 3 axis sensor should make a bigger more noticeable difference for me... Question

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardingnath997 wrote:
I've had my unit fitted for 2 weeks now and wanted to give my review. There might be a group lynching against me here but I hope not Embarassed

The unit definitely makes a difference. From the first speed bump I hit I could tell that there was more compliance. Not just on speed bumps but any surface imperfections which tend to be everywhere around London. Perhaps I expected a bit too much but I wouldn't describe it as a 'night and day' or like having new suspension as some others have. In terms of spirited driving, I can't say I noticed a massive difference. I never found the car wanting in this area anyway.

My summary would be that it makes a noticeable difference and it's handy been able to separate the sport and suspension buttons. The around town suspension compliance is better, but not significantly. I agree that the car should have been like this standard. Despite this I'm not sure of the cost/benefit aspect of this mod. If it was a £400-£500 mod I would say go for it. I'm just not sure it's worth the £1k.

Fair comments. Have you been for a spirited blast yet?

I didn't notice much difference until I got chance to push on a bit. The nose doesn't dip as much under hard braking and pitch and roll is noticeably less when chucking it into corners.

As noted already, sport mode settings seem to get backed off whilst pootling along, which is nice.

To summarize, I really like it. Worth the money/upgrade? Yes, definitely.

slackster
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should offer a try-n-buy option for those on the fence, I really want one but can't stomach the current price, I reckon at £500 I'd have had one already though.

(its the yorkshireman in me Smile )

Norfolk - since I'm in your neck of the woods, what's the chances of me testing yours in my motor next year for an hr when the weathers a bit nicer and I whip the covers off it ? Question
Gen I | 987 cayman S | Atlas grey

Jcx
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slackster wrote:
they should offer a try-n-buy option for those on the fence, I really want one but can't stomach the current price, I reckon at £500 I'd have had one already though.

Norfolk - since I'm in your neck of the woods, what's the chances of me testing yours in my motor next year for an hr when the weathers a bit nicer and I whip the covers off it ? Question

SHoot a PM off to boardingnath997. Seems he may be keen to recoupa few quid on his purchase. You could bag a deal.

Boba fett
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slackster wrote:

Mines not going to be driven for a while now, happy to send you mine to try out, if you pay the postage Thumb

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slackster wrote:

No worries matey. I’ve actually been out for a spin today because the weather was nice. I’m off back to work Saturday and won’t be back until new year. But sure, it’ll be easy enough to swap over for weekend test or whatever thumbsup

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't disagree at £500 it would be a perfect no brainer to have, at the current 1k its still worth doing IMO, but not if you have to sell a kidney to do it . Its one of those upgrades (can't call it a mod really as its more than that) that you really need to do to improve the car but those things come with a cost and most of the good mods I have done cost £1K or more to do .eg

gen 1 led front side and rear upgrade £800 min
gt3 throttle body /plen and remap £1400 plus
exhaust boxes and cats £1500 min
X51 headers £700

So when you consider its as significant to the suspension as those other items are in there relevant parts of the car it seems quite a realistic price. but I accept that there was nothing majorly wrong prior to fitting any of the above ,but each item in its place improved on what was already there .
YES I COULD HAVE LIVED WITHOUT ANY OF THEM
but I wanted to get the very very best out of the car and re the suspension the DSC does just that .
Thumb Thumb

Boba fett
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardingnath997 wrote:

What model do you have ?

slackster
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
slackster wrote:

No worries matey. I’ve actually been out for a spin today because the weather was nice. I’m off back to work Saturday and won’t be back until new year. But sure, it’ll be easy enough to swap over for weekend test or whatever thumbsup

Spot on fella, I’ll deffo take you up on that early next year for sure Smile Thumb Thumb
Gen I | 987 cayman S | Atlas grey

MaxA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardingnath997 wrote:

Interesting. I've found all Porsche prices to be 'extraordinary', and this module is no different. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands, but, on the other hand, I think you might miss it.

I think the challenge that I had with the 997 is that with PASM set to soft, the car is too soft, and it can't quite keep up, so to say, if you suddenly need/want to put your foot down. And that front end bobble can be quite disconcerting on a long corner. On the other hand, with PASM in hard, while body control is really good, the ride is very hard.

I found, even on very smooth Dubai tarmac, it was too hard for the day-to-day, and especially all the bloody speedbumps (in the community, on the school run, in the car parks, at the office). So I was constantly juggling between two modes. It would have been better to have the PASM button on the steering wheel, not hidden behind the gear lever.

So, when I started investigating, I soon came across the TPC Racing solution. And then I bought it.

I'm very happy because I can now drive the very-not-smooth Finnish roads around here at some pace, and still retain good body control. I know British tarmac can be pretty awful, but we get these massive grooves on the highways (becausewinter), some big cracks and broken tarmac (alsobecausewinter), and there are plenty of gravel roads (I live at the end of one). Of course big potholes will always be a challenge, but I don't find myself toggling between modes any more. And I'm sure that PASM hard will work well when I get to the track days next summer.

Never going back. Grin

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
boardingnath997 wrote:

Interesting. I've found all Porsche prices to be 'extraordinary', and this module is no different. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands, but, on the other hand, I think you might miss it.

I think the challenge that I had with the 997 is that with PASM set to soft, the car is too soft, and it can't quite keep up, so to say, if you suddenly need/want to put your foot down. And that front end bobble can be quite disconcerting on a long corner. On the other hand, with PASM in hard, while body control is really good, the ride is very hard.

I found, even on very smooth Dubai tarmac, it was too hard for the day-to-day, and especially all the bloody speedbumps (in the community, on the school run, in the car parks, at the office). So I was constantly juggling between two modes. It would have been better to have the PASM button on the steering wheel, not hidden behind the gear lever.

So, when I started investigating, I soon came across the TPC Racing solution. And then I bought it.

I'm very happy because I can now drive the very-not-smooth Finnish roads around here at some pace, and still retain good body control. I know British tarmac can be pretty awful, but we get these massive grooves on the highways (becausewinter), some big cracks and broken tarmac (alsobecausewinter), and there are plenty of gravel roads (I live at the end of one). Of course big potholes will always be a challenge, but I don't find myself toggling between modes any more. And I'm sure that PASM hard will work well when I get to the track days next summer.

Never going back. Grin

I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. Thumb I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade Dont know when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings Floor Thumb

MaxA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
MaxA wrote:
boardingnath997 wrote:

Never going back. Grin

I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. Thumb I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade Dont know when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings Floor Thumb

Not being able to opine on your anatomy, I would agree with you that in the wider context, a grand is sort of reasonable. A lot more reasonable than the Öhlins R&T coilovers I just put on my other car, which is worth about 10-12% of the 997 on a good day. And which replaced a perfectly serviceable set of Bilstein B14 coilovers. wack

boardingnath997
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. Thumb I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade Dont know when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings Floor Thumb[/quote]

I'm not moaning about the cost alone, I have no issue dropping money on my car. My opinion is that I expected a greater difference for the cost.

MaxA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that this discussion is not seen as a group lynching, just a good debate.

I reckon the car does feel like it has new suspension, but we should acknowledge that adjustable dampers will always have to work with the fixed limits of the springs: perhaps this just highlights the limitation of the current spring rate which is always going to be what it is, this is not an air suspension set up.

Anyway, call me an old softy but I find the 997 to be super smooth nowadays, all swishiness and speediness, and far better than my other car on B14s which felt like being punched in the kidneys on a regular basis while being yelled at by some vixen.

996ttalot
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is worth pointing out about perceived benefits. Firstly the maximum benefit is when the current car that you fit the DSC module to has suspension in good condition and by suspension I include items such as engine mounts etc as well. Additionally having a good geometry and tyres again makes a difference.

It is also fair to say that the difference in sport mode will be noticed more by a race driver than a normal driver - that is not being in any way critical of any one persons driving - it is just a fact that we found when we did a controlled test with someone who races who could immediately see the benefits for example on back to back testing - night and day differences.

Everyone should be able to feel the normal mode benefits and everyone should be able to feel benefits in sport mode but the degree to which you feel will be dictated to by conditions of the car, conditions of where you are doing the test (road/track) and driver ability.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: