Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 Gt3 replacement for 997.1 Gt3 test drive

evodarren

Took a 991.1 GT3 out today from a Porsche main dealer.
A few things before driving when checking over the car. Car did not have leather. I kow its a track car but at that price felt cheap compared to my 997 GT3 which has extended leather everywhere. Also the carpets,. My car feels like a Rolls Royce compared to the carpets in the 991. Quality is definately down on some materials.
Now to the drive, i had a good 40 odd miles to the dealer to have a good play in mine. Ride comfort is more compliant in the 991, soaks up the bumps better. Steering feels good, very direct, simulatr to my car that was just set up by Centre Gravity. 997 stering does move about a bit more, something i quite like most of the time. The 991 does give you confidence though, very good for electric steerin. PDK works brillant, quite supprised in sport mode and auto how good it was, holds the gears untill the red line.
Performance wise it is definately faster as all the numbers say, but to be honest as driver feel it didnt feel to far apart.
My car is 10 years old. Still has Porsche warranty untill November 2018, all services done by Porsche. I have owned it for 5 of them.
Strange feeling, but i know its newer, easier to drive, but, it doesnt feel £45 - £50K worth the extra.
Im sure i shall get told why i need to change lol
Thanks
Darren

I'd definitely recommend the DSC module for the PASM. It let's the 997 compete with the fidelity of the 991 system and then gives you the ability to tweek it yourself.

991 is a very fast car. The gearshift speed alone will get it ahead of a 997 on a track thats before the extra HP , RWS etc.

But, no Mezger :lol:

I cant quite see the 40k delta either but sometimes people pay that happily for the change of scenery. Both awesome cars.

So you're liking my old DSC unit then :)

Of course their v2 unit works similar magic in a 991 as I'm finding out now

:)

Regards
Fred

FredGT3 said:
So you're liking my old DSC unit then :)

Of course their v2 unit works similar magic in a 991 as I'm finding out now

:)

Regards
Fred

Yes! Sent it back for an update. Impressive bit of kit. :thumb:

check which engine its on. if its original one then walk away as some have had a few engines replaced and it should be on a certain number with the update to warrant keeping it.

make sure its got warranty and all is included as I would not fancy replacing an engine on one of those!!

There was no evidence of replacement engine. The sales guy thinks the new engine was fitted from factory.

I'd only buy one of these with full OPC warranty, imo...

Yes the one i looked at will come with 2 years OPC warranty.

NLW73 said:
check which engine its on. if its original one then walk away as some have had a few engines replaced and it should be on a certain number with the update to warrant keeping it.

make sure its got warranty and all is included as I would not fancy replacing an engine on one of those!!

It needs to be on at least an E1, which it will be. Mine was done at the dealers. Its absolute rubbish to say it needs to be on anything later than that. There have been some failures but equally others are going strong.

I do agree about only buying with an OPC warranty.

Regards
Fred

I think the 991.1 GT3 is much easier to 'get' than the 997.1 GT3; it is a more user friendly car. Very probably in the way the 997.1 GT3 differs from the 996.1 GT3. So different cars - all three of them - with different relative merits and, possibly appealing to different abilities and types of owner.

Diggermeister said:
I think the 991.1 GT3 is much easier to 'get' than the 997.1 GT3; it is a more user friendly car. Very probably in the way the 997.1 GT3 differs from the 996.1 GT3. So different cars - all three of them - with different relative merits and, possibly appealing to different abilities and types of owner.

The 991 gt3 was a lot easier to drive in normal conditions. The 997 you have to work harder but it's so rewarding .

Bigfra said:
I've bought it after never driving one 😂😂

And it is a cracking car Fraser . Well done

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back