Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which CTEK? Trickle Charge

911_AS

Due to limited usage, my car needs a trickle charger. I've never used one before, hence need some guidance from owners who have experience with such things.

Which is the best CTEK to buy for a 911 Gen 2? I found this :-
http://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8,
however, I am unsure if something better / more suitable is out there.

Also - are they easy to use? I have heard some stories of owners not connecting them properly and nearly frying the electrics!! :nooo:

Hi there. I think the Ctek is a great piece of kit and I swear by them. I use MXS5 and this is the place I found was good value when i last bought it

https://www.frazerpart.com/acatalog...er__optimizer_and_trickle_charger.html#SID=25

I like the cigarette lighter cable as it's really convenient if you keep the car in a garage. Not had any issues myself with overheating and they are properly protected nonstop that happening as far as I know

Cheers

I also have a Ctek MXS 5.0. I've had it for many years and used it on multiple vehicles. They are incredible bits of kit and I'd recommend anybody who owns multiple cars to get one. The MXS 5.0 is particularly good as it caters for multiple battery types, some chargers only cater for one battery type.

I don't know how you'd fry your electrics with one of these as it's all quick release connections. I'd advise to buy the extended cable with it as it just makes placement of the car/charger much easier. Attach the quick release connector to the battery, red cable to red terminal and black cable to black terminal. After that, it's just quick release connectors which only connect one way.

I'll never be without mine.

toffeeman said:
I also have a Ctek MXS 5.0. I've had it for many years and used it on multiple vehicles. They are incredible bits of kit and I'd recommend anybody who owns multiple cars to get one. The MXS 5.0 is particularly good as it caters for multiple battery types, some chargers only cater for one battery type.

:yeah:

I like the cigarette lighter cable as it's really convenient

:agree:

i've got a 3.8 for my 3.8 and it works just fine :thumb:

3.8 = 7 step charging
5.0 = 8 step charging, includes a reconditioning mode

A 0.8 should be good enough really, I use these for my bikes, but they will handle a car battery for maintenance

I also have the li-po charger too, the above don't do everything.

However, the Noco Genius will do everything and seen to be quite well regarded.

sim996 said:
However, the Noco Genius will do everything and seen to be quite well regarded.

Wow, I'd never heard of these but they look impressive. The styling makes them look like something the military would use. I do like a good garage gadget.

Thanks to Mark Pearce, I now have a fully working Porsche branded trickle charger.

I bought the car from Stirlings just under a year ago (20 Oct 2016). I called Mark to get some advice as the car was not firing up as quickly as usual, (mainly due to lack of use recently). Mark suggested the battery may be on it's way out and could need a charge, or replacment. I was fully prepared to order a C-TEK and / or source a new battery. However, during our call, Mark very kindly says "I have a charger, I'll send it to you".

Bearing in mind the battery is a "wear & tear" item, and therefore is not covered by warranty. The very next morning, a battery charger arrived on my door step, neatly packaged up, never before used. I connected it up and left it doing it's thing, tried the car last night and it fired up immediately.

It's service like this which goes a long way, exceeding expectations. Mark didn't even charge me anything for the Postage!

Credit where credit is due. Thank you, Mark. Keep up the good work.

911_AS said:
Thanks to Mark Pearce, I now have a fully working Porsche branded trickle charger.

I bought the car from Stirlings just under a year ago (20 Oct 2016). I called Mark to get some advice as the car was not firing up as quickly as usual, (mainly due to lack of use recently). Mark suggested the battery may be on it's way out and could need a charge, or replacment. I was fully prepared to order a C-TEK and / or source a new battery. However, during our call, Mark very kindly says "I have a charger, I'll send it to you".

Bearing in mind the battery is a "wear & tear" item, and therefore is not covered by warranty. The very next morning, a battery charger arrived on my door step, neatly packaged up, never before used. I connected it up and left it doing it's thing, tried the car last night and it fired up immediately.

It's service like this which goes a long way, exceeding expectations. Mark didn't even charge me anything for the Postage!

Credit where credit is due. Thank you, Mark. Keep up the good work.
great to hear of good service! He is a top bloke and it looks like he built a lovely little company on the back of it.

Sorry to Hi Jack the Thread, but I need a trickle charger as the car doesn't get much use....Will a CTEK 3.8 do the job?

BChivs said:
Sorry to Hi Jack the Thread, but I need a trickle charger as the car doesn't get much use....Will a CTEK 3.8 do the job?

IN a word - yes. That should be fine.
However, the one I was looking at was the 5.0

http://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

Could be worth calling CTEK directly to find out which is best for your car.

Another :thumbs: from me for CTEK. I've been using them for years on cars and bikes. The new MXS 5.0 also has automatic temperature compensation so could be handy if a car is parked outside on the driveway through the winter. They are basically a plug-in and forget product if you hibernate your toys.

It also has a recondition mode which I'm currently testing on a 5year old Yuasa battery which my (very) old CTEK 3.6 has failed to revive, so it will be an interesting test...

Hello, I've just bought one of these CTEK MXS 5.0 for my 997 Gen2 PDK. but I'm looking for advice on how to connect.

The CTEK video recommends connecting the earth terminal to the body:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferF1cga3QA

But looking at numerous images and on other forums, the clips are connected directly to the battery.

How does everyone here connect their CTEK? If connecting to the body, where should this be?

Many thanks.

TonyC911 said:
toffeeman said:

:yeah:

I like the cigarette lighter cable as it's really convenient

:agree:

:agree: no fuss , almost idiot proof .......

BChivs said:

Get the 5.0 far better piece of kit and it charges AGM batteries too , don't think the 3.8 does....a bit of futureproofing required ....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back