Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hamilton & Palmer PA 100 query

pierrebear

Nurburgring
Hi guys - before I bought the 993 (still so excited - don't :judge: me!) I tried to do some research re common faults etc. It seemed to me that the PA100 system fitted to UK 993s was a particular weak point (I have both the dongle and the little black box to lock/unlock).

Has anyone removed these items (can it be done, how easy to do, cost if getting indy to do it etc.) - I am considering replacing it with some form of more modern tracker system.

Given everything else about the car is so beautifully analogue, I think my preference would be to simply use the key to lock/unlock/start the engine...grateful for your thoughts!

It's old but they still work. H&P can still supply new boards if yours goes down. Have you got the red programming fob :dont know: If you haven't then you could be knackered if it goes faulty as you won't be able to re-programme the black fob(s). A new red fob will come with a new processor board.

I don't think the 'dongle' immobiliser is part of the H&P set up albeit linked to the system. My take on it is the 'process' of putting in the dongle getting the right amount of beeps before starting the car is precise, and anything in the wrong order means starting again, so unless your thief is an ex-employee of NASA you should be OK :thumb:

:hand: Thought you live on Jersey? How far could someone take it without someone noticing :grin:

Mine had H+P initially and a Lazerline latterly, both of which caused bother, and were a complete pain in the arse. Especially that nonsense of having to press the plipper again if you hadn't started the car within seconds of getting into the car.

The whole lot was stripped out (unbelievable amount of guff) and Tore B's T-Lock system placed and the alarm system reverted to the original factory system with the red flashing lights by the door windows. I have a cheap tracker with a Talk Talk Sim which messages me immediately its moving when it shouldn't be.

So the result is a nice modern fob, remote central locking, an alarm (of sorts) and a tracker. Really very happy with the end result.

Not particularly original, but anyone who knows me understands that originality is not really my thing . . .
:grin:

HPNer said:
Not particularly original, but anyone who knows me understands that originality is not really my thing . . .

Too true chum :grin: :thumb:

HPNer - At the risk of offending the Illuminati...I might just head down the same route to be fair!

I do indeed live in Jersey and the car is very safe here...that having been said, I have heard stories about nice cars being stolen by kids looking for joy rides before even here. I'd be looking for tracker etc. for more peace of mind when I take the car off island - either to mainland UK or Europe.

Second vote for replacing the H&P system. It's awful.

I went with Cobra alarm and MetaTrak tracker, both monitored 24/7.

Not sure why anyone would value "originality" of alarm.

HPNer said:
Mine had H+P initially and a Lazerline latterly, both of which caused bother, and were a complete pain in the arse. Especially that nonsense of having to press the plipper again if you hadn't started the car within seconds of getting into the car.

By a remarkable coincidence, I will have a used Laserwhine alarm system going cheaply soon. OP Let me know if you want it. I'll pay you £20 to take it away.

Unfortunately when I looked a few weeks ago the T locks were OOS, so I sourced one elsewhere. The fobs look almost identical to Phil's. I'll let you know how it goes when fitted in a few weeks time.

I'll in no way defend the PA100 over more modern systems, but I've not actually found it to be unreliable. The only reason i replaced the main alarm brain (quite a few years ago now) was that my car was missing the red master and only came with one working remote fob. Swapping out the brain was quick and easy and it has continued to be trouble free. One day it should probably be updated, but that may be a job for the next owner. Anyhow, not many folk have or admit to the early PA100 system - far more are on PA1000 or 2000 or have ditched them altogether. Not sure why I'm giving it this emoji, but what the hell:- :thumbs:

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is the "dongle" that annoys me the most, to be fair. I don't have a problem with the little remote for central locking/unlocking although my strong preference would be to get rid of that altogether and use the key for locking/unlocking/starting the engine...call me old fashioned but that's what the key is for in my book.

Zingari - luckily I have both black fobs which work (one needed a new battery) and the red fob.

tim993 - forgive my ignorance but what's the big difference between PA100 and PA1000/2000?

Does PA100 have one button and the PA1000/2000 have two for lock/unlock :dont know:

Plus they're more tactile rubber :oops:

Ah right - that would make sense...mine only has the one button. Don't feel like I am missing out on that much though!

pierrebear said:
Ah right - that would make sense...mine only has the one button. Don't feel like I am missing out on that much though!

What about wiper widget? Did you get one :dont know:

LOL - wiper widget present and correct. First thing I had to do was replace wiper blades and I made sure that was moved over onto the new Bosch ones. :D

Zingari said:
Have you got the red programming fob :dont know: If you haven't then you could be knackered if it goes faulty as you won't be able to re-programme the black fob(s). A new red fob will come with a new processor board.

You actually don't need the red master. I've never had one and had to replace a fob recently. The replacements from H&P come with instructions how to do it.
As long as you have 1 working fob you're fine to program another.

I have the P100 alarm and have had one or two problems, the most recent was having to replace the immobiliser connector set in the dash, not difficult but fiddly and time consuming, the car being 22yrs of age I don't think it's unreasonable to have the odd problem.
Hamilton and Palmer I couldn't fault their customer service, expensive yes, but their knowledge and willing to go the extra mile was evident.
From what I've been told cars fitted with these alarms and immobilisers are hard to steal, porsche have also made that claim in the past.
Someone mentioned that you don't need the red master fob to programme the black fobs, this isn't so on the P100 system you most definitely do.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back