Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New water pump time , £245 OE or £108 budget?

I bought OE with a bit of discount from local OPC.

No brainer for me, fit and forget.

I have just replace 2 of these. 1 on my 987 and 1 on 996.
I replaced them both with Porsche units from my OPC. Each old unit had covered over 60k miles and were also original equipment. For that type of service versus the cost of replacing an early failure should a lower price unit not last as long, I would say go for the original equipment unit and be done with it.

Thanks guys, I'll give them a ring for a price.

I'm going to give it a go myself, looks pretty straightforward.

Just having another look, ECP have a Geba one, listed as OE quality, £230 but with 37% off ??

Do the OE ones have a metal or plastic impeller?

Original has a plastic impeller

Aha, just reading up about the pros and cons minefield of plastic v metal!

Ask your OPC parts man if they offer discount, they normally oblige in my experience by around 10%. Shy kids get no sweets! :thumbs:

Definitely food for thought on the plastic v metal front. They both give significant problems when they break up. Thats why I advocate replacing before they go wrong and replacing them with a known quality item. I just think of them as a 'lifed' service part and at or about 60k or the first signs of noise , out they go. Hopefully preventing any break up/machining/overheating issues.

Got a Pierburg pump from Autodoc and when it turned up it was the same pump that I removed. Saved £400 and it was here in 3 days.

Thanks all,

Having read lots of posts on them I'm now almost as bored as when I read all the ims posts! I'm going to go for the Geba one for £145 which do get a very good write up and I'll be taking Peter's advice and adding it to my service list.

Never had all this faff with other makes, if something breaks I buy the part and fix it, I don't need to trawl the internet to read tonnes of OE vs aftermarket engine destroying posts. You'd have thought after 50 years.....😂

Oh and coolant, which type?

It looks like it should be Triple QX Red (OAT) but mine's green as I saw when it leaked out. Will draining via the drain plug remove all the old green so I can refil with red and not have any mixing issues?

Thanks

Pierberg from autodoc is the one to go for.

Comma Xstream G40 would be the right coolant - however, you have a problem, as someone has filled it with the wrong coolant (green?), and it will need to be removed completely before it is changed.

Grey996 said:
Thanks all,

Having read lots of posts on them I'm now almost as bored as when I read all the ims posts! I'm going to go for the Geba one for £145 which do get a very good write up and I'll be taking Peter's advice and adding it to my service list.

Never had all this faff with other makes, if something breaks I buy the part and fix it, I don't need to trawl the internet to read tonnes of OE vs aftermarket engine destroying posts. You'd have thought after 50 years.....😂

So having read all the posts you buy the cheap one from ECP as opposed to the one you've been recommended to buy, the Pierburg which is an original part :?:

I did buy the Pierburg one in the end ( though i didn't realise it's an original part)

The Geba one was actually more expensive, RRP at least and does get very good reviews.

Anyway, fingers crossed!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back