Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mezger v DFI.....? Advantage DFI.....

911TEL

All the talk about the Mezger engine ......

....whilst I can understand the love when it's the GT3 N/A version ( I have owned both 997 gen cars, I have had both Mezger and DFI in Turbo cars and I don't think anyone could tell the difference in sound or engine characteristics ... apart from the fact that the DFI engine is more powerful with more linear power & torque feel ... so is the 'love' for the Mezger on reputation alone .... My opinion is that we revere a legend without logic for the more improved logical step forward.....

Can any owners ( I reckon only owners and past owners can really comment here ) list the clear differences between the two which logically explains the love for the Mezger over the DFI....

Your thoughts?
Terry

Is the DFI more powerful? Or are the larger power outputs on the 997.2 down to the revised turbo's and larger intercoolers fitted in those cars? No doubt the DFI is the more fuel efficient and cost effective engine.

Re Mezger, people love a good yarn especially when there's a person's name attached.

For 95% people the DFI PDK turbo the way to go. For the enthusiast I'd always suggest a manual Mezger.

You cannot compare a £20k DFI engine to a fully dry sumped race derived £40k Mezger when it comes to track day, hill climb, amateur racing use etc :judge:

it's more of an issue in the Carrera models, Turbo's run just fine :thumb:

be interested to get Carrera owner views

Having had both gen1 and gen2 NA cars although the gen 1 997 engine is a nice solid lump and I loved it and had very very little problem with it, there is no doubt the gen2 DFI engine is a more refined more powerful and more economical power plant but does it add more grin " no not really" the grin you get from driving any 911 is all the grin you need and whether you spend 15k or 60k the grin is the same just the wallet is lighter lol :thumb: :thumb:

As I understand it, the Mezger engine was introduced because Porsche couldn't afford a proper development of a road car engine. So although the per-unit cost was a lot higher they went with what was effectively a very expensive race car engine for use as a road car engine. You don't see that these days, so it has real hishory and heritage. It isn't refined or super efficient. But it is largely bulletproof, and is the kind of engine which we are unlikely to see again.

MC

MisterCorn said:
As I understand it, the Mezger engine was introduced because Porsche couldn't afford a proper development of a road car engine. So although the per-unit cost was a lot higher they went with what was effectively a very expensive race car engine for use as a road car engine. You don't see that these days, so it has real hishory and heritage. It isn't refined or super efficient. But it is largely bulletproof, and is the kind of engine which we are unlikely to see again.

MC

Thats really interesting info and 100% the reason for anyone buying a gen1 turbo over a gen2 and probably the same for choosing a gen1 GTcar over a gen2 . Great when you learn some new snippet of info :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Thats really interesting info and 100% the reason for anyone buying a gen1 turbo over a gen2 and probably the same for choosing a gen1 GTcar over a gen2 . Great when you learn some new snippet of info :thumb: :thumb:

Both the 997.1 GT3, and 997.2 GT3 have the Mezger engine.

Having owned both 997.1 manual and 997.2 PDK turbos on the road there is little to choose between the engines for performance. The gearbox in the gen 2 makes a big difference and for me a better choice for a road car all other things aside between Gen 1 & 2.

It reminds me of when I owned Westfields and all the talk was it had to have a Vauxhall lump as it was said "you can get 300bhp from one if tuned" I would then ask the question oh how much power have you got then? The reply was it wasn't tuned so about 180bhp. 😆 The thing is its great having an engine with heritage or that will tune to a gazillion hours power but does it really matter if you have no plans of stretching it? If it mattered to me I would still have a Gen 1. At the end of the day for me you should be proud of owning either as not many people could say they have the privilege of doing so.

As I mentioned at length in a previous post and having been very lucky to have owned both a Gen 1 & Gen 2 Turbo, I found the differences quite subtle.
I can see the 'cult' following the Metzger has and having driven one I think the best way to describe it is a bit savage, being a race engine it's not very refined but it's fast, it's punch you in the back fast.
I think the Gen 1 accelerates harder than the Gen 2, probably down to the more punchy delivery but the DFi is definitely more refined, it's smoother not as harsh and is obviously a road, as opposed to a race engine.
Economy, there's nothing in it. Personally I found the Gen 1 more economical on motorway runs.
The biggest difference between the two cars though is the PDK box, it's just perfect, apart from the ruddy juddering when it's cold! Certainly makes the DFi engines power delivery seamless.
Put the box in Sport mode and it's telepathic, my only criticism and I thought about it today coming down the A68, is that the Sport button should be located somewhere a bit more convenient than where it is, maybe on the wheel or better located on the centre console. I find myself switching in and out of Sport mode quite a bit.
Anyway this is about engines not gearboxes!
I only prefer the DFi because of the gearbox, I just couldn't love the Tip at all, every time I drove the car it used to bug me!

My advice to anybody with a turbo Mezger would be to not tune it. Leave it just as it left the factory.

MC

MisterCorn said:
My advice to anybody with a turbo Mezger would be to not tune it. Leave it just as it left the factory.

MC

Why?

apollokre1d said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Why?

Because it is a long and slippery slope which will end up with large costs and 1000hp. Unless of course you have sort of self control. :roll:

MC

MisterCorn said:
apollokre1d said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Why?

Because it is a long and slippery slope which will end up with large costs and 1000hp. Unless of course you have sort of self control. :roll:

MC

Good advice!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back