Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential Purchase Valuation Advice

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
The car in question is a 1999 C4, mileage is quite high at 153k but there is a full rebuild from hartech thrown into this. We went and viewed the car the other night and this is a really clean example but granted has a few marks as to be expected. Full history up to rebuild, full MOT and hpi clear.

Not much more to say than, its silver with metropole blue interior and most importantly it's a manual, it is a work in progress with a few bits needing done.

We're really not sure what to value this at (it's for a good friend of mine) Current owner has asked for 17k but I think this is steep. It requires condensers and could do with the wheels refurbed and a set of tyres.

Saying that the car has had a hell of a work along with the rebuild, dual mass, clutch, MAF and the list continues

With that mileage, even with the condensors/wheels/tyres all done it would still be expensive at £17k.

As a private purchase, as it stands, I'd bid £12k tops.

The Hartech rebuild means a lot to someone in the know but to most people it's just an engine and it would be scrap without one.

Thanks for the input, I agree with what you say regarding the engine. My thoughts were, you wouldn't touch one of these without being in the know or know someone with the knowledge so the rebuild has to be a big factor. I advised about 14k but wasn't 100% sure.

The owner is away with work for a few weeks so plenty time to ponder. I've got a 2002 C2 with 70k and it's not as clean as this 150k example but mileage will dictate I assume

In answer to engine rebuild, repairs, expense - that's all great but does form part of general maintenance in keeping a vehicle roadworthy and does not necessarily add to its market value.

Sensibly of course you would pay a bit more for the one with the work done but £17k is too much for that :thumb:

I have just bought a 2000 C4 manual coupe with 118K miles,
Engine wise, it was mixing oil & water so engine went to Hartech for check & fix. they never rebuilt it but did inspect & advise on work required, (new cylinder head, crankshaft bearing & all the manifold studs replaced) so not a full rebuild but a sound checkout.
Suspension has been completely refreshed with the M030 kit with last 5K miles.
The bodywork & interior are immaculate, it was a Porsche GB concourse class winner 2013,14 & 15.
I paid £13.5 which I was very happy with so the £17 being asked is a bit off.

I've told my mate to have a spy at this thread as the opinions on the price tie in with my own thoughts. 13.5k would probably in the ball park again roughly what I was thinking.

My car which is not to dissimilar to what has been described above had an offer of 15k on it but it was basically to leave me with a clean bill of health and everything working like it should.

I think mine in current condition thinking about what it requires I'd be 13k, for 2k exspense on top it would be a car that was in excellent condition throughout.

17K is a lot of cash considering it requires quite a fair bit of money spent on it.

I've just put my 2003 manual C4 with 116k up in the classifieds for £14k (ono)

No rebuild from hartec but I had the IMS done as a precaution at 100k along with a clutch and slave cylinder at northways.

Its got 6 northway stamps from my 5.5 years of ownership and OPC or other specalist before that (out of my hands I'm afraid).

I'd agree £17k is a bit steep for a first gen car with 150+ K imo

Locosaki, where are you about as I've mentioned your car to my mate and he's keen to view (I'll pm you) I've followed your trials and tribulations with it.

MC, seems a fair price to be honest, the retro fit IMS would put me off personally but each to there own.

Drew1209 said:
Locosaki, where are you about as I've mentioned your car to my mate and he's keen to view (I'll pm you) I've followed your trials and tribulations with it.

MC, seems a fair price to be honest, the retro fit IMS would put me off personally but each to there own.

At the time I had planned to keep it for longer and thought I'd rather spend an extra £700 whilst the clutch was being done and have the bearing replaced as a precaution than chance the (admittedly slim ) posability of it failing at a later date and causing internal engine damage.

its one of those dammed if you do dammed if you dont decisions I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back