Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 964 owner. Lots of questions...

RichardKS

Hi. I have become the owner of a 1990 964 Carrera 2. There's a bit of a story to it that I'll not bore you with at this stage, suffice to say that the car has been stood, unused, for some two and a half years.

We've had her running with the help of a new battery and fresh fuel and driven her very briefly. The recommissioning process has started.

My first question: what is the recommended brand and grade of engine oil these days for a UK 964? My understanding is that they hold a fair bit of it too.

Any useful opinions or recommendations would be appreciated - thanks.

Congratulations on the 964. Pictures needed!

There is no right or wrong brand or grade of oil. 5W40/5W50/10W40/10W50 are all pretty common even 10W/60. Mineral, Semi synthetic and full synthetic can all be used although most will probably use pure synthetic these days. Higher levels of ZDDP are advised, the motorsport oils generally have these higher levels.

Some respected Indys use Castrol Magnatec givne that semi-synthetic is fine for these older engines.

Thanks gents. That gives me plenty to go on.

Attachments

• img_3159_440.jpg
    img_3159_440.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10,070
RichardKS said:
There's a bit of a story to it that I'll not bore you with at this stage

:thumbs:

We love a story we do :grin:

:thumb:

Welcome. I'm jealous. I'd love to get back into a 964.

Good luck with it. It looks lovely.

+1 on wanting the story. :wink:

coullstar said:
Looks great in that colour.

+1

Like the D90's too, and the elephant ear mirrors...

Great car, nice colour... looking forward to the story! :thumb:

Awesome mate, just awesome. I'll keep a look out! :thumb:

alex yates said:
Awesome mate, just awesome. I'll keep a look out! :thumb:

Gonna be a while before she's fighting fit.

Car was left to me and my wife in a friend's will. He described it in his will as his "beloved 911". Thus, not only have we inherited a 911, but also a sense of responsibility to do right by him and the car.

She runs and drives but has a few issues to be dealt with. New discs and pads have been ordered, as has oil - Millers is on its way so thanks for the advice given.

:eek: Wow! Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. What a project to have acquired. Can't wait to see it mate.

:)

Hi Richard,

That's a lovely looking car in a great colour.

Your benefactor must have been a great guy and obviously thought a lot about you. I'm sure you'll look after it for him.

Enjoy,
Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back