Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Detailing Starter Kit

APL911

Hi gang.

I have a rather nice 996 C4S on its way to me in October.

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/1205/996C4SManual/

I am currently in the process of giving my garage an overhaul, getting it ready for the new arrival. I have cleared it out of all my tools and general clutter, and am giving it a fresh coat of paint on the walls and floor. (white walls, grey floor) As well as installing some additional lighting.

It's a nice double garage, so there is plenty of room.

Now the car's paint is already in very good nick. No swirl marks, very smooth and all stone chips and dents removed. It's mint, and I would like to keep it that way.

Can you please make suggestions for a "starter kit" for keeping the car detailed?

Shampoo:
Sponges:
Cloths:
Clay:
Radial Polisher:
Paint Sealer:
Other:

I don't have an endless amount of money, so I am looking towards the more reasonable end of the price spectrum :wink:

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Thanks

Antony

Here are some of my favourites:

Shampoo: CarPro Reset.
Don't get a shampoo with a wax in it, just get a simple shampoo.

Sponges: Microfibre Madness wash-mit.
Don't go near sponges - they will cause swirls and scratches. Go for a microfibre wash-mit (or lambswool if you don't mind changing it regularly because they don't last).

Cloths: CarPro BOA edgeless microfibre.
Korean microfibres are the best. It really is worth spending a little bit extra for quality microfibres.

Clay: Bilt Hamber. Uses water as the lube.
This shouldn't be a frequent use product, contrary to popular belief.

Radial Polisher: Dual action/orbital (D/A) unless you really know what you're doing with a rotary. Don't go near any 'polisher' that you can buy in Halfords. The machines to go for are Rupes Bigfoot or Flex if your budget allows. It doesn't sound like you need a polisher at the moment anyway.

Paint Sealer: FK1000p and CarPro Reload.
Ceramic coatings will help to protect your paint from swirls but best for experienced detailers as the application process is quite tricky.
Some people still like wax. :dont know:

Other:
Microfibre drying towels. My favourite is the Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy. Stay away from chamois leathers and silicon blades.

At least two buckets. wash/rinse (and one for wheels, ideally)

Wheel cleaner. Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (easily the best I've used)

Wheel woolies

Power washer

Foam lance for snow foam(?) I'm not convinced it's worth all the bother but people seem to love it. It's a bit of a gimmick IMO.

Tyre dressing. CarPro Pearl or Gtechniq are good.

Don't be fooled by products for certain colours. It's marketing BS. The wax/sealant/polish really doesn't know what colour paint it's sitting on. Any good product will work well on any paint.

Iron/fallout remover. CarPro IronX
Tar remover. CarPro TarX

Water de-ioniser. Ideal for dark cars to prevent water marks after washing.

That's the tip of the iceberg, you really can get carried away and spend a fortune.

For pretty-much everything you need, the best company I have dealt with are Polished Bliss. Their customer service is exceptional and the website is really informative.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Also look at these for really good products:
https://carpro.uk.com/
https://www.bilthamber.com/

HTH

I would also recommend bilt hamber products, good products at reasonable prices.

Polished bliss are good people to deal with as well.

madge said:
Here are some of my favourites:

Shampoo: CarPro Reset.
Don't get a shampoo with a wax in it, just get a simple shampoo.

Sponges: Microfibre Madness wash-mit.
Don't go near sponges - they will cause swirls and scratches. Go for a microfibre wash-mit (or lambswool if you don't mind changing it regularly because they don't last).

Cloths: CarPro BOA edgeless microfibre.
Korean microfibres are the best. It really is worth spending a little bit extra for quality microfibres.

Clay: Bilt Hamber. Uses water as the lube.
This shouldn't be a frequent use product, contrary to popular belief.

Radial Polisher: Dual action/orbital (D/A) unless you really know what you're doing with a rotary. Don't go near any 'polisher' that you can buy in Halfords. The machines to go for are Rupes Bigfoot or Flex if your budget allows. It doesn't sound like you need a polisher at the moment anyway.

Paint Sealer: FK1000p and CarPro Reload.
Ceramic coatings will help to protect your paint from swirls but best for experienced detailers as the application process is quite tricky.
Some people still like wax. :dont know:

Other:
Microfibre drying towels. My favourite is the Microfibre Madness Dry Me Crazy. Stay away from chamois leathers and silicon blades.

At least two buckets. wash/rinse (and one for wheels, ideally)

Wheel cleaner. Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (easily the best I've used)

Wheel woolies

Power washer

Foam lance for snow foam(?) I'm not convinced it's worth all the bother but people seem to love it. It's a bit of a gimmick IMO.

Tyre dressing. CarPro Pearl or Gtechniq are good.

Don't be fooled by products for certain colours. It's marketing BS. The wax/sealant/polish really doesn't know what colour paint it's sitting on. Any good product will work well on any paint.

Iron/fallout remover. CarPro IronX
Tar remover. CarPro TarX

Water de-ioniser. Ideal for dark cars to prevent water marks after washing.

That's the tip of the iceberg, you really can get carried away and spend a fortune.

For pretty-much everything you need, the best company I have dealt with are Polished Bliss. Their customer service is exceptional and the website is really informative.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Also look at these for really good products:
https://carpro.uk.com/
https://www.bilthamber.com/

HTH

Thanks Madge, exactly what I was looking for. :thumbs:

The best advice I would give to keep a mint car with good paint looking that way is not necessarily the products you use, but how you clean the car etc.

As silly as it sounds you can wash a car too often. For example my daily 3 series tourer gets quite grubby as I'm in the building trade and it's usually covered in dust, but I only wash it every 2 weeks and the wheels once a week to remove brake dust. The paint is mint. It's only a couple of years old but I fully detailed it when I first bought it with a 3 stage machine polish and I am now just careful to keep it that way. It's best to avoid contact with the paint as that is when most scratches/swirls are made.

When you do wash it always use 2 buckets, one with clean water to rinse the mitt and the other with your shampoo. Gritty guards are good too. I always snow foam, leave to dwell and then pressure wash the car. Spend longer than you feel necessary rinsing/pressure washing as you want to get it as clean as possible before you touch it with your mitt. When cleaning always work down and wash in straight sweeps not circular motions.

No Sponges :eek: :eek: microfibre cloths with the labels ripped off . I would also get a quick detailer to apply after a wash and dry in between applications of Wax or a hybrid polish. also get some ACF50 to coat the underside avoid the brakes . and lastly gummi pflege to stop apply to the door rubbers to stop them freezing to the glass and sticking. :thumb:

I am sure KJD and Carrera Monkey will be along soon with ideas as they spend lots of time trialling new products to see what does what best. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back