Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Counterfeit or faulty MAF

Oilline

So 2 years ago I had a trip to Wayne Schofield for a session on the rollers. The session was cut short as the power was way down as in 200 hp at the flywheel. This indicated there was an underlying problem and not worth trying to re map.
Since then I replaced all the ignition components, got the variorum working correctly, 100 cel cat, KN air filter . It was suggested that the cam timing may of slipped but I wasn't convinced. And as it's an engine out job to check and set I wanted that to be the last resort.
Somebody then mentioned the MAF sensor so I thought I'd give it a go.
After a bit of Ebaying I found a genuine Porsche part at £400 ish, using the Bosche part number found the same sensor for £178, or aftermarket at about £70 !
So I went for the " genuine" Bosche part for £170 not wanting to risk a cheap aftermarket part.
Car felt immediately better, so back to Chipwizards for a power run.
Good news and bad. Power was up to 240 bhp but was displaying a MAF sensor fault. Wayne disconnected the MAF and power went UP to 260 bho !
So we came to the conclusion my original MAF was faulty, and the replacement I got off EBay was also faulty or more likely a counterfeit part .
Wayne said counterfeit parts are becoming a big problem. So I ordered off the Bosche part number at my local trusted auto electricians who are Bosche dealers. £193 so not so bad compared to Porsche price. The part and the packaging looked identical apart from the Bosche dealer supplied part had a Bosche hologram seal on the box.
So back to Chipwizards again , no MAF fault and power back where it should be.
So beware of supposedly Genuine parts on EBay at bargain prices.

Thanks for an interesting and informative post, sometimes you have to buy from a reliable source, did you get the cash back on the "Bosch" part?

It's going through the normal EBay returns procedure. The seller sent me a returns envelope and he has it back but so far no refund. I don't think there will be a problem though .

Go back to a paper filter the K&N have had reported problems contaminating the wire with oil.

A friend had exactly the same issue with his Audi's MAF, bought a cheap one that he thought was genuine and the issue wasn't cured, thinking is was not his MAF at fault he spent a lot of time trying to diagnose until he took it somewhere that told him it was the MAF at fault, he went to the main dealer to buy a genuine one for double the price and this cured his running issues, lesson learnt for him.

No wonder it was counterfeit...Bosche!

Is this a collaboration for Porsche/Bosch?

Don't buy any Posch parts either, they'll be from the same factory!!

Thanks for the heads up...

In my experience, Ebay is cheap for all the wrong reasons!!

I make furniture for a living. I made this fellas kitchen, he made his living importing car parts into the Middle East. He'd come across dodgy Chinese parts more and more over the years bought as OE and they were easy to see through.

However he had a whole lot of issues with Bosch parts failing that he finally found out were not legit only when they were sent back to Bosch for confirmation. They were such a good copy including the packaging that he couldn't believe they were fake.., we are talking multi container loads of the stuff.

The bizzarre thing was and part the reason behind why he was so surprised the parts were not original was because the ships last port of call before they got to him was Germany. Crafty, as it made it seem like the goods had come direct from country of origin.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back