Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cruise control and stalks question

queenmonkey

Hi guys, my indicator stalk packed up yesterday. I've looked on you tube and there are some helpful videos on how to replace the stalk unit.

I'm in a quandary though. When i brought the car it has the cruise control stalk fitted as standard. However, some one has fitted a nasty retro fit unit that hangs out, just under the steering wheel shroud, and has been stuck to the dash. I've been tempted to cut it and stick under the shroud out of sight. However, as i've now got to replace the stalk unit i'm thinking that if i'm buying a new stalk unit i can buy a 2 stalk unit and dispense with cruise control completely, cut the retro fit and look tidy (albeit without cruise control that i don't use). However, i could buy the correct 3 stalk unit in the hope that the problem that led to retro fit relates to the stalk unit that i'm replacing? I'd also like to keep the car as close to factory as possible.

Any clues as why someone might have retro fitted on something that was standard and what potential challenges might be presented in me trying to reinstate it?

ps - the listings for new stalk units differentiate between those with or without on board computer. How will i know if ive got an onboard computer?

QM

If you have OBC you should have the lower left stalk (opposite side to cruise). You can always retro-fit OBC if you fit the correct 4 function stalk unit as it's just a case of switching it on in the cars software.
Can't see a problem fitting a new stalk unit myself and ripping out the daft thing someone fitted.

Thanks Alex for your helpful reply. What i thought was the redundant cruise control stalk on the bottom left hand side is clearly not. It's the OBC. There is no cruise control on the right hand side (just the one stalk). Consequently the tatty cruise control has been fitted as an extra rather than replacement. I'm going to remove it.

If that's the case I'd still fit the cruise stalk as it must be enabled in the software. Should be able to get a 4 stalk for around £100.

Hi
Assuming your car is a later one (i.e. does not have a cable throttle) but uses electronics instead, then it is an easy mod/update - i did mine a few months ago following one of the many links/instructions on here and Rennlist

Bizarrely the 4 stalk with cruise was cheaper than without :dont know:

apart from the stalk, i think it cost me £20 in cables (VW part) and took about 2 hours to fit it (including checking the wiring over about 100 times

:oops: ) so that i was sure.

Works perfectly and useful on our cr@p motorways (and Northern France too!)

Depending on where you are based, Wrightune might be an option too 01491 826911 :thumb:

Is it e-gas or does it have a throttle cable?

Hi Alex, i googled it and it's suggested that something as early as mine is cable. Is there any easy way of determining that?

QM

Look at your throttle body on your engine. Does is look like the one below and have a cable plugged in to it like so? If so it's electronic and not manual cable throttle.

996throttlebody1.jpg

A '98 will be cable throttle (you have the most desirable 996, according to some - a cable throttle manual C2).

Sounds like your cruise is an aftermarket system, not the OE Porsche.

To retrofit genuine Porsche cruise you need:
Throttle pedal with extra cable input
Tempomat (device that actuates the extra cable) with ECU
Stalks
Wiring to clocks, stalks and main ECU

(I have all this collected ready to fit to mine, except the wiring and stalks).

So unless you collect all those parts, or interface the buttons of the aftermarket cruise to OE stalks its not going to be factory.

I'd leave it fitted TBH, i'm pondering fitting aftermarket cruise to mine rather than the factory kit I've assembled as it will be much easier. But if you want to sell me your old broken stalks with cruise, I will buy them.

The eGas cars just need stalks and ecu coding to work hence the confusion above.

Some more reading for cable throttle cruise:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/34840-1997-986-cruise-retro/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/3532-adding-cruise-control-to-a-my98/

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-...rical-terminals-brake-switch-bridge-plug.html

Hi Wasz/ Alex and thanks for your helpful reply. I'm going to tuck the aftermarket system under the console for the time being. I don't use it but i might regret removing it in the future. My main problem with it is that it looks so naff and especially as someones glued it to the dash!

Wasz i'm going to keep the broken stalks if only because i tend to keep everything i ever replace (aside from consumerables)

QM

Just in case its helpful in anyway I put this together when I retro fitted cruise (i've a 2002 C2).

Annoyingly the pictures have vanished but i've still got them all just need to update the thread but if you'd like me to drop box you the images and instructions let me know.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115078&highlight=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back