Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Major/48,000 mile service at OPC

tyinsky

Suzuka
Anyone done the big service at an OPC recently? As I understand it, the 48,000 mile service and the 24,000 mile services are both major, but the 48k involves some extra work (which colud just be new belts). I also want the gearbox oil changing for good measure.

Around £1,600 sound about right?

tyinsky said:
Anyone done the big service at an OPC recently? As I understand it, the 48,000 mile service and the 24,000 mile services are both major, but the 48k involves some extra work (which colud just be new belts). I also want the gearbox oil changing for good measure.

Audi are quoting me £785 inc vat for a major on the R8 including 8 plugs, 2 oil filters, 2 air filters, and 10l of oil. i'd be speaking to Ken at 9e!
:thumb:

OPC Colchester did my 48k service for £595+VAT incl plugs and gearbox oil.

996ttalot said:
Since we match exactly what the OPC does you can see the detail of what is done here.

http://www.nineexcellence.com/service/service.html?find=993--1994-1998--c2s-3015

Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll take a look at your site.

ChrisT70 said:
tyinsky said:

Audi are quoting me £785 inc vat for a major on the R8 including 8 plugs, 2 oil filters, 2 air filters, and 10l of oil. i'd be speaking to Ken at 9e!

Just under £800 sounds a lot for a TT?!!!!!!!

sday12 said:
OPC Colchester did my 48k service for £595+VAT incl plugs and gearbox oil.

Was that in 1998? I'll be calling them in the morning :thumbs:

December 2016

I had the 24k service at opc back in 2010 as I thought I'd like a good check over when first purchased. Ended up around 2k after a hose replacement on the ac. With the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't do that again. The amount of work done under the service was really quite minor. Little more than checks and fluid changes. I'd go to a reputable indy and only use the opc if collecting the annual stamps !

wilsonny said:
I had the 24k service at opc back in 2010 as I thought I'd like a good check over when first purchased. Ended up around 2k after a hose replacement on the ac. With the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't do that again. The amount of work done under the service was really quite minor. Little more than checks and fluid changes. I'd go to a reputable indy and only use the opc if collecting the annual stamps !

OPC prices for classics have now a reduced labour rate. Dick Lovett 48K mile major quoted at £860.00. This includes transmission oil change amongst other things. Porsche even have a special new stamp for classic servicing of the old models. Add in a nice shiny Porsche for the day to hoon around in and I thought it didn't sound too bad a price.

wozy said:
wilsonny said:

OPC prices for classics have now a reduced labour rate. Dick Lovett 48K mile major quoted at £860.00. This includes transmission oil change amongst other things. Porsche even have a special new stamp for classic servicing of the old models. Add in a nice shiny Porsche for the day to hoon around in and I thought it didn't sound too bad a price.

Does it include plugs or anything "extra" as £860 still seems minty for what is 20 yr old old car technology at the end of the day..? Gearbox oil is about 20 quid for 4 litres. Semi synth oil for the engine etc. I paid about £300 for a minor at an Indy and I think they charged £600 ish for a major inc plugs and fan belts.
You are still paying for the shiny courtesy car and the fancy OPC centre within your price. I suspect most of the Indie see many more cars of this era than any OPC.

ChrisT70 said:
wozy said:
wilsonny said:

Does it include plugs or anything "extra" as £860 still seems minty for what is 20 yr old old car technology at the end of the day..? Gearbox oil is about 20 quid for 4 litres. Semi synth oil for the engine etc. I paid about £300 for a minor at an Indy and I think they charged £600 ish for a major inc plugs and fan belts.
You are still paying for the shiny courtesy car and the fancy OPC centre within your price. I suspect most of the Indie see many more cars of this era than any OPC.

I worked for an OPC for 10 years .. ive worked at an indy for just under 3 .. ive seen and worked on more of these cars now than i ever did at an OPC .. ( doing a 48k on a 3.2 targa atm ).

The guys i work with know these cars inside out and its been a pleasure to learn all about them after working on 991,s etc for so many years.

I would have to say an Indy is the best place to have your car worked on from my experience .

ChrisT70 said:
wozy said:
wilsonny said:

It includes plugs, trans oil change, air filter, pollen filters, (I'm pretty sure also belts) etc etc . Unsure what else. I was more making the point that the OP was quoted a far higher price at his local OPC than it is at others.

I use an Indy for all other work, he charges £35 plus vat an hour and works from basically a shed. He knows probably as much about air cooled 911s than any other Indy out there. He will also repair your ford, Vauxhall or Trabant if so required. :)

I'm no main dealer lover, I just have the service done once a year for the stamp as my 911 has always been to an OPC from day one. However saying that, I've from personal experience found that most Indys charge only a little less than the main dealers, and occasionally more for general servicing. Their courtesy cars are either non existent or crap plus their coffee is never as good either.

Horses for courses I suppose. Mine won't require a '48K service' for another 4 years, so I just alternate between a 12K miles and annual service and get the stamp, any work being required they list and my local Indy does it.

FWIW. 12k miles is £460, minor, (annual) £340 from OPC

we can all only speak from personal experience of course, but my major OPC service at 50K, did NOT include plugs, gearbox oil or belt replacement. Now I may have got a raw deal, but I'd suggest you specifically ask for the service schedule that will be carried out before committing.

i've subsequently done all of these things myself, so I'm sure they weren't done.

wozy said:
ChrisT70 said:
wozy said:
wilsonny said:

It includes plugs, trans oil change, air filter, pollen filters, (I'm pretty sure also belts) etc etc . Unsure what else. I was more making the point that the OP was quoted a far higher price at his local OPC than it is at others.

I use an Indy for all other work, he charges £35 plus vat an hour and works from basically a shed. He knows probably as much about air cooled 911s than any other Indy out there. He will also repair your ford, Vauxhall or Trabant if so required. :)

I'm no main dealer lover, I just have the service done once a year for the stamp as my 911 has always been to an OPC from day one. However saying that, I've from personal experience found that most Indys charge only a little less than the main dealers, and occasionally more for general servicing. Their courtesy cars are either non existent or crap plus their coffee is never as good either.

Horses for courses I suppose. Mine won't require a '48K service' for another 4 years, so I just alternate between a 12K miles and annual service and get the stamp, any work being required they list and my local Indy does it.

FWIW. 12k miles is £460, minor, (annual) £340 from OPC

yea i'm in similar position with the R8, its getting stamped at a main dealer purely because no one pays top money for a home serviced R8, and indys are far less prevalent than for the 993. my own experience with an indy for the 993 was pretty good tbh, i'd still be going there if i'd kept the 993.

wilsonny said:
we can all only speak from personal experience of course, but my major OPC service at 50K, did NOT include plugs, gearbox oil or belt replacement. Now I may have got a raw deal, but I'd suggest you specifically ask for the service schedule that will be carried out before committing.

i've subsequently done all of these things myself, so I'm sure they weren't done.

Porsche have recently changed their service schedule on old 911s. Not only do you get a new 'special' stamp, but the plugs are only changed on a 48K service I believe. Interestingly I was told years ago that a 993 really only required a plug change at that mileage.
It makes sense this new policy as how many owners actually cover anywhere near 12K miles a year in a 993 these days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back