Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I sell 997.1.5 tutbo to buy 991 tutbo? Advice please

Dhalsu

Chaps
I currently have a 58 plate Gen 1.5 black 997 turbo chrono with an aerokit. I love the car and it looks very similar to Bobba's one ( but mine is a Tiptronic box).
Car has 41,000 miles on it

I went this weekend to test drive a base 991 turbo with chrono at a Porsche dealer.
My thoughts ... I am really confused what to do.
I loved the smoothness and power of the 991 turbo with 520 bhp and PDK and the cabin is soooo beautiful.

However , I couldn't work out if it really was faster than my 997 turbo :?:
Also, the funniest thing is that when I arrived back at the centre after my test drive there were some people taking photos of my 997 turbo saying how awesome it looked!
The dealer has offered 56k for mine against a 90k turbo.

Is the 991 turbo worth the extra 34k?
Is there really that much difference between my 997 and the 991?
Will my 997 really be worth more in a few years time?
So confused what to do. Thoughts please?

If you've driven both you're better placed to judge than anyone who hasn't. If you're that torn I'd wait a year and think again. By that time the 'cost to change' will have shrunk a bit. Your car certainly won't go down in value but the 991 probably will.

Personally, the comparative actual speeds of the two cars would be a long way down my list of pros/cons when 99% of the time neither can be driven to their ultimate potential.

Sounds to me like you needed to be far more impressed with the 991 than you are, you should be 34k more impressed.

I have always judged my potential next car by the speed in which I put a deposit down on it.

I'll stand by what I have said, I do generally think the 997 is the best looking 911, its not just me that thinks that. If you have a looker like mine :p it gets attention everywhere it goes.

Depreciation wise, well you own the trump car here.

We on here can give you our opinions, your probably get different ones on the 991 section, so only you will really know. Just don't listen to the wife, I did when moving from 993 Turbo to 996 Turbo "the 993 looks old inside get the 996" Never again. :wack:

is the car a daily or weekend driver? Likely mileage per year? Is it your only car?

Re the trade-in value..I would always have a discussion with a couple of local independents as the OPC trade-in values are usually pretty rubbish in comparison to selling separately. The small amount of hassle is usually worth it.

Boba fett said:
Sounds to me like you needed to be far more impressed with the 991 than you are, you should be 34k more impressed.

I have always judged my potential next car by the speed in which I put a deposit down on it.

I'll stand by what I have said, I do generally think the 997 is the best looking 911, its not just me that thinks that. If you have a looker like mine :p it gets attention everywhere it goes.

We on here can give you our opinions, your probably get different ones on the 991 section, so only you will really know. Just don't listen to the wife, I did when moving from 993 Turbo to 996 Turbo "the 993 looks old inside get the 996" Never again. :wack:
Agree, every car I've ever bought I've known as soon as I've driven them I'm putting my money down, that's why I negotiate before I drive!

My 997 looks just as lovely side by side my mates 991 4S!

Lovely problem to have👍

Boba fett said:

I agree , it's difficult to see the value in the extra you might need to put into it to get into the 991 ....
I'm in complete agreement that the 997 Turbo is the best looking Turbo....

When I had an itch recently ... I thought about a 991 GTS ...... but eventually made the best decision I've made since buying the Turbo S..... I bought a GT4. .....itch well and truly scratched ... great decision....!!

You could always get a Turbo S ... the PDK alone is a big improvement on the tip..!

911TEL said:
Boba fett said:

I agree , it's difficult to see the value in the extra you might need to put into it to get into the 991 ....

When I had an itch recently ... I thought about a 991 GTS ...... but eventually made the best decision I've made since buying the Turbo S..... I bought a GT4. .....itch well and truly scratched ... great decision....!!

You could always get a Turbo S ... the PDK alone is a big improvement on the tip..!
agree turbo gen 2 pdk 👍

G2 said:
is the car a daily or weekend driver? Likely mileage per year? Is it your only car?

Re the trade-in value..I would always have a discussion with a couple of local independents as the OPC trade-in values are usually pretty rubbish in comparison to selling separately. The small amount of hassle is usually worth it.

Hi the car is weekend only and will have around 4000 miles a year put on it. Daily use I have and X5

silvermilnec said:
911TEL said:
Boba fett said:

agree turbo gen 2 pdk 👍

Lol. turbo S is 100k plus !

Dhalsu said:
silvermilnec said:
911TEL said:
Boba fett said:

agree turbo gen 2 pdk 👍

997 Turbo S ....not the 991 .... it's too much of a GT car ....if you can find one .....

Mate, Ill spell it out for you, you have a late Gen 1.5 Turbo and if its like mine, its an eyeful. Shame its a Tip, but its still a car and last of its type. I think the PX price is rubbish, and if its a good one its worth more.

Your car has a very special engine, and that will play a big part in future values of 997's and its just around the corner contrary to what others think.

Don't spend out on a car that has not blown you away, and also has the potential to lose you 10k over the next year.

Does this help

:thumb:

I concur with Boba, as I mentioned on another thread the Gen 1.5 is the perfect compromise, only slight downside is the Tip box but it's relative if it's a weekend car.
Think the price they've offered you is average but then that's OPC's and in all fairness they will probably have to spend a wedge on it if 'they' sell it.
If that car was on an OPC's forecourt it would probably be £65k or more.
Paragon have one similar to yours and they're asking £67,995

Personally keep the 997, 991 turbo's have dropped a lot in the time they have been out and whilst you can't deny they're good value at present they're not a 997.

Dhalsu said:
silvermilnec said:
911TEL said:
Boba fett said:

agree turbo gen 2 pdk 👍

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707207553017

silvermilnec said:
Dhalsu said:
silvermilnec said:
911TEL said:
Boba fett said:

agree turbo gen 2 pdk 👍

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707207553017

IF ONLY they did a Gen 1, Turbo S with a manual box and a Mezger lump - perfect ? I'm sure prices would be stupid for said car by now, and I for one would be an owner.

Such a shame :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

I had a couple of choices...
Gen 2 turbo
Gen 2 turbo s
991 turbo (13/14 plate)

Price point helped with the gen 2 turbo, for me, as I couldn't see what 25k would get me and I like many think the 997 is the better looking generation of 911.
Likely also that the gen2 will drop a few k, the 991 probably 10k in a similar time frame.

I keep looking at a black 991 at imperials with red leather. Lovely thing but as I said 25-30k better. I don't think so

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back