Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone drive LHD car in UK?

isysman

Chaps, it looks like I might spend the next year or so in Europe working in a shipyard and I'd want to take a car with me. I've actually seen a LHD UK registered car that appeals to me for obvious reasons.

The plan is after my recent road trip which was awesome, is to do many more in the future after I spend the next year in northern Europe. So a LHD car would suit me very nicely.

So my question is to the people who may have a LHD car in the UK, is it ok driving it here? I've driven a RHD in Europe many times and I know about the usual pit falls at toll booths etc. but apart form the obvious do you have any reasons why I should not do it? Would I be better just getting a RHD and putting up with the inconvenience when in Europe?

What about resale values?

Just regarding resale value:

I would a buy a leftie from the UK and then sell it in Europe before you leave....ideally buying a rightie from there to bring back here :bandit:

:thumb:

Been driving these over here for years and loads of other do as well

Attachments

• img_2007_189.jpg
    img_2007_189.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 4,901
  • img_0126_101.jpg
    img_0126_101.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 4,901
I have owned a few integrales and of course my 914,all left hand drive and I really get on with them.
A 911 or an early one at least is a revelation to drive.

As regards value if you buy something that was only available in lhd then resale is not an issue.

You'll most likely pay a premium for a key podder. Just get right hooker and a SANEF tag.........or buy a McLaren F1.

Ive had left hand drive in the pst and never had a issue :driving:

Both mine are lefties and had no issues in the UK. Advantage is you get a better sight of nearside apexes, curbs and potholes. Disadvantage is overtaking becomes slightly more challenging :)

I drove a RHD on the continent for a few years - and of course LHD cars whilst back visiting in the UK

For the occasional visit i would say you can live with it but driving on the wrong side of the car is a drawback for obvious reasons.
I wonder too if the geometry can be correctly adjusted for "wrong side" driving ????

Drop Chimp a PM, his Scud is a leftie.

Biggest advantage of UK left hookers is you can pull over and chat the birds up.......hence chimp and hi...... :wack:

What kind of car are you considering OP. If you are staying put longer term over on the continent, it might be better to buy and register one from there as after 6 months you would have to register anyway.
LHD in the UK is a non-issue from my experience or a RHD car over here for that matter :thumb:

A month or 2 I'd personally whiz around in my own car. However if I knew I had a Year contract that also has the potential to be extended, well I wouldn't mess about. Just buy a £3K good'ish LHD car. Insure it in the country of stay, get a 'control technique (mot)' etc, then flog it on eBay. Keep your UK RHD 911, You know you can buy, what can be only described as 'inflatable bubbles' to long term store cars in. It keeps vehicles in the garage in exactly the same condition as when it was left.

I know friends whom have anything from race cars to kit cars that store them in over the winter from October to April.

ELA said:
What kind of car are you considering OP. If you are staying put longer term over on the continent, it might be better to buy and register one from there as after 6 months you would have to register anyway.
LHD in the UK is a non-issue from my experience or a RHD car over here for that matter :thumb:

I'm considering a Porsche. I saw one that seems a good deal, and it would replace my Boxster. I'm mulling a job change so I'd be on land for a year. But with my road trip being so much fun and my lady wanting to drive but only ever driving a leftie I thought it might be something to look at.

I'd be going back and forth so wouldn't think I'd need to register it in Europe. I considered buying something cheap but I don't fancy being without a Porsche for a year other than travelling home occasionally.

I'd be looking for a UK registered left hooker......evades French speeding fines, parking tickets, etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back