Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk to me about 997.1 turbos......

NickHappy

I'm really hoping I draw on the knowledge of you 997 T owners and have has much info as possible whilst on the hunt for my next car.

What specifications should I be looking out for? Sports Chrono? Etc. Why is this essential? Is it essential? What's the best steering wheel, ive seen some triangular and others with a circular centre boss? Carbon trim or not?

This is a big purchase so looking to get the best I can.

Cheers

Much appreciated

NH

Don't bother with the legendary gen 1 Turbo with the last of the Mezger GT1 derived engines and just get the more refined, tweaked, quieter and "better" Gen 2 car.

Trouble is thats what you will get on here, folk peddling what that have and there choice of car.

Ill add this options:
Chrono a must. Everything else is a bonus.

No words on here can tell you what to get. Do your homework, drive both, do your research and choose whats best for you, in the drive, the feel, the refinement, tech and depreciation.

Interested to see the posts now...

Got to agree with Boba, drive both and see which one is for you.

If your heart is set on a Gen 1 I'd say the main thing is to get a well looked after car from a reputable dealer. Other items can always be added later.

I am afraid BF has it about right.

There are plenty for sale at the moment so go and test a few of the derivatives. You know what they are mainly about as you have its older brother so start pinpointing why exactly you wish to make the change and work hard at forming a deal on your favourite examples. You should do well with a px on yours but stay strong as you are probably in no great rush.

Porformance may not be leaps and bounds beyond what you are used to but aesthetically the 997 wins hands down both inside and out. I am begining to think it's every bit as good looking as its Aircooled forefathers!

Happy hunting :thumb:

I went from a 997.1 manual techart to a 997.2 turbo s. Imo the 997.2 has the better interior and drive. The pdk system is awesome and suits the engine well. It also feels and is much quicker. Just an all round upgrade to the earlier cars. Get an inspection done and enjoy! Don't buy it to look/admire/wash it and not drive it. A certain member on here goes on about the 'legendary' engine of the mezger but drives it probably 100 miles in a year!! If it's so legendary go enjoy it.

Whichever you decide they are awesome cats the 997. Best shape imo.

It's all down to personal taste, when I started looking I drove a manual and a tip, but everyone will say manual but not me, I love the tip but that just me.
I'd love the pdk but then no historical mezger engine.
I went from a 4s 2006 997 and a must have for me was the newer pcm3 and mezger engine.

To answer the question, chrono and adaptive seats a must, the rest can be changed.
Good luck finding the right car.

But to be honest I've never driven a bad 997 of any type!

Plus I drive mine 😂😂

I'm guessing that like most people your choice of a 997.1T is due to budgetary constraints so I doubt that any advice to go for a 997.2T is relevant.

Similarly I know you're a 3 pedal fan so I wont attempt to persuade you to even try a Tip'. If you did I maintain you'd be surprised at how well suited the auto-box is to the car.

'Sports' is the important part, 'Chrono' just gets you a pretty useless stopwatch on the dash. Sadly if the car was spec'd with it from new you cant get one without the other. Most cars will have it and it really does make a difference so cars without are less desirable. Retro fit of the 'sport' function is possible.

The wheel with the triangular boss is standard. Mine's got Option XPA which is the round wheel described as 'thicker sport smooth leather steering wheel' on my CofA. Personally I think it looks far better and its certainly very comfortable to use.

Carbon trim is a personal choice and I'm not a fan. My car has the full aluminium pack so the black interior is broken up with brighter centre console, vents and door pulls. Colour coded items work well too.

Remember that even on a c£100k Porsche cruise control is not standard. There's lots around (including mine) that don't have it. Again it's retrofittable but c£500.

18 way adjustable sports seats were an expensive option but they are really excellent.

Beyond that I cant think of anything else. If you want to inspect the items featured on mine I'll be at The Fairmile on the 20th.

If going for a manual, look for over rev's. Gives you an idea how badly the car has been treated..along with the other usual inspection stuff.
Go for Gen 2 if you want a more refined car.

Boba fett said:
Don't bother with the legendary gen 1 Turbo with the last of the Mezger GT1 derived engines and just get the more refined, tweaked, quieter and "better" Gen 2 car.

That's better. I see we got you bent into shape at last! :floor:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Boba fett said:

Indeed, I've given in to the pressures, but then again, I now don't feel qualified to give advice, as I just look at it, wash and admire it, so what do I know :thumb:

Ignore the over revs.

It's a prehistoric way of measuring and is massively prone to errors due to glitches erroneously reporting very high rpm. They can also safely be revved higher than the standard 6700 limiter. If the engine is not making any horrid noises, not smoking apart from startup (normal) and pulling hard then it will likely continue to that for a long time.

Only must have is Sports Chrono, the reset are minor options down to personal taste. I have worked on some very fast Tip's but personally I find them lazy. They are very long geared so dull the response at low speeds.

M

My two penneth!

If your after a manual and want an appreciating Supercar buy a good Gen 1.

Avoid odd coloured interiors, go for dark blue or black. Avoid cars with no extra's especially Sport Chrono, this is a must have option and any car without it isn't even worth considering.

If you want an auto buy a Gen 2 with PDK, tiptronic is okay and very reliable but it's not a patch on the PDK box, you will see this from the values although to be fair manual Gen 1 are commanding such high premiums that it seems to have pulled the 'tips' up too.

Be very thorough when checking the provenance, get it checked by your local OPC or a very good Indie but make sure you get a full history with all receipts. Over rev's can be an issue on manuals but shouldn't be a deal breaker, once there logged in the ECU they're there for ever!

When you see the right car jump on it, don't dither because you will lose it. There are loads of guys on here who have had cars bought out from under their noses, I know I'm one of them.
When the right car comes up you'll know straight away. If anything rings alarm bells walk away and don't look back. The 'pups' tend to sit for ages for the last reason.
Good luck hopefully the first one you see is the one you buy.

Boba fett said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Boba fett said:

Indeed, I've given in to the pressures, but then again, I now don't feel qualified to give advice, as I just look at it, wash and admire it, so what do I know :thumb:
He's being honest here. He drives a yellow bmw mostly.

CarreraMonkey said:
Boba fett said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Boba fett said:

He's being honest here. He drives a yellow bmw mostly.

:floor:

I've had both, although my 996 had been mapped, and was actually quicker than my 997. The 997, to my mind, is a superior car. It drives better, the brakes are better, it looks better (is that a can of worms I hear being opened?), and the interior is so much more modern than the 996.

Both of my cars had/have 'tip boxes and I really like them, although as people have said, unless you are in sport, they can be a bit lazy.

Drive a couple and see what you think, you won't be disappointed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back