Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Failed Emissions

glazey

Hi All,
My 997 C4S has just been into my local OPC for an MOT which it has failed on emissions. They tell me this is due to a hole in my PSE backbox. They have quoted me £1500 +vat to fit a new one. It seems strange how this would increase the emissions.

Anyway they said they would have a go at fixing the hole and let me know today. Unfortunately it still failed, so i have brought the car home to look at getting the hole welded before paying for a new one.

On my way home there was a lot of smoke coming though the engine bay, when i jacked my car up I found that they had covered the joints on the exhaust with Silicone which had begun to melt and smoke.

Is this normal, doesn't seem right to me :dont know:

They also got the silicone right down my drivers sill hopefully it will come off :x

Photo 1

Attachments

• rsz_img_5447_687.jpg
    rsz_img_5447_687.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 5,489
  • rsz_img_5446_207.jpg
    rsz_img_5446_207.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 5,483
  • rsz_img_5445_189.jpg
    rsz_img_5445_189.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 5,483
  • rsz_img_5444_715.jpg
    rsz_img_5444_715.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 5,483
I had this when my back box was blowing. My friendly MoT tester simply stuck the probe in the other exhaust, the reading passed, but he told me of the problem.

My Indy managed a decent repair when they were fitting my H&S bypass.

Would getting it repaired by an Indy invalidate warranty?

James

Shocking.....very few silicones will have heat resistance up to exhaust temperatures although i might have some at work that does.

That is diabolical! Whoever did that is incompetent and shouldn't be allowed near a car again! It must be some sort of exhaust sealant, but it looks like a blind cobbler has applied it! There is no way you can fix holes in an exhaust for any length of time without welding.

£1500 +VAT is simply robbery for a muffler!

Eejits!

Which OPC? Name and shame the fools.

Nice to see paying OPC labour rates ensures such quality workmanship........... :hand:

Just had it MOT'd at my local garage and its passed. No problem with emissions????

:lol:

:?:

Proof, if you need it, that OPCs are not the best people for some jobs!

Depending on the state of the exhaust, I'd either take it to a good indie to fix, or alternatively, replace (upgrade?) with new or used.

I have learnt that unless it is a warranty item or needs Piwis then I avoid the opc. A Porsche Indy can do most things and for mot tyres and the like anyone inc kwikfit will do in fact they are often better than the opc for warranty cheaper and less likely to be looking for something which will bring another job.

wasz said:
An OPC did that :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope you refused to pay them until they clean all that off!

Yes a holed exhaust can cause emissions fail.
:agree: :wtf:

Get that printed off and post it to HQ Reading. See what reply you get back.

I'd be absolutely in a rage with anger paying £160P/H to find a complete neanderthals had done that.

I'd be storming into the Principles office, dragging him out and asking "is this acceptable"? "Then you B well better sort it out "! Whilst you're at it I suggest you review the skills and competency of your employees to work in the industry!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back