Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche poised for Red Bull buyout?

apollokre1d

Has anyone seen this? Sorry if it has already been posted or discussed.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/porsche-poised-red-bull-buyout

The rumours are gathering apace: Porsche is to enter Formula 1 from 2021, after purchasing the Red Bull team and making engines fitting to the new formula set to be introduced that year.

No one is yet confirming or denying. But it makes a lot of sense. Red Bull might consider that its F1 programme of the last decade has achieved its marketing aims and that it no longer needs the vast expense of running an F1 team (or even two of them). It could continue as a sponsor to the works Porsche team and benefit from that association, but without anything like the same current spend.

The rumours have it that the team will continue to be run by Christian Horner from the same base as currently and hopefully still with the same Adrian Newey-led technical team. The team would simply change ownership and acquire proper works engine status from one of the world's most prestigious automotive brands. Weissach and Milton Keynes would be connected in much the same way as Enstone and Viry currently are for Renault.

It would be a fantastic coup for F1 and Liberty to have Porsche on board as a full works F1 team for the first time since 1962 (although it provided the title-winning TAG-Porsches to McLaren 1984-87 as well as the less successful V12 to Arrows in 1991). It would also give Red Bull the potential to return to the title-winning pomp it enjoyed during the frozen spec naturally-aspirated era.

Mark Webber, an ex-Red Bull and Porsche driver and who has previously partnered Horner in junior team ownership, could be a link man between the two organisations. Both Brendon Hartley and Neel Jani have Red Bull connections, the former still a Red Bull athlete while the latter was Toro Rosso's third driver in 2006. Red Bull's Helmut Marko also won Le Mans in a Porsche 917 in 1971.

That would be great! I've always wanted them to enter as I'm an F1 fan. Maybe they would keep Toro Rosso and buy Porsche engines? Or maybe buy advertising on the new Porsche car?

Agreed that would be awesome... I think they said "It could continue as a sponsor to the works Porsche team and benefit from that association, but without anything like the same current spend."

2021 is a long way away though :(

Love F1 but with the govt of the world legislating no new fossil fueled cars over the next 20 years or so, It makes me wonder the relevance of this format whereas Formula E is more in line with future vehicles.
CVC sold at the right time.

I've followed F1 for decades and occasionally look back at some of the races from the 80's/90's, which to me were the best of times for F1, it was raw and edgy, the drivers openly either loved or hated each other and the atmosphere was electric at some of the races.
For me the sport started it's slide after the tragic death of Ayrton Senna & Roland Ratzenberger at Imola in 1994

Now it's just becoming more and more sterile, there are so few real characters in the sport that the only enjoyment I get is the warm up with DC and MW etc.
The one caveat to this was last year when Nico and Lewis were playing head games with each other, it said a lot though when Nico won the world title then quit, not that I find either of them particularly characterful but it spiced things up a bit.

Porsche have probably been eyeing up the publicity and sales boost that it's given Mercedes and thought we want some of that too and it will be a big uplift to the sport to have Porsche on board and racing against another German rival.

Just heard on the radio that McLaren are splitting with Honda and taking Renault engines, Redbull are being cut by Renault and taking Honda engines :dont know:

Interesting times :thumb:

I do quite a bit of work for Redbull F1, so surprised I haven`t heard any whispers through the grapevine :nooo:

kurlykris said:
Just heard on the radio that McLaren are splitting with Honda and taking Renault engines, Redbull are being cut by Renault and taking Honda engines :dont know:

Interesting times :thumb:

I do quite a bit of work for Redbull F1, so surprised I haven`t heard any whispers through the grapevine :nooo:

Yeah heard that RBR are considering Honda engines 😳

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/09/14/red-bull-honda-2019-renault-end-engine-deal/

Pity a builder like cosworth were not quite well placed as Mercedes and Ferrari won't supply others.

Honda will get there IMO so 2019 could yield a great Japanese F1 engine

wizard993 said:
Yeah heard that RBR are considering Honda engines 😳

I think Renault have told them they will no longer supply them engines so they have no choice.

Autosport say Porsche are looking at being engine suppliers and is not interested in having a works team.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131653/porsche-considering-2021-f1-engine-programme

Lutz Meschke, deputy chairman of Porsche's executive board and member of the board for finances and IT, met with Ross Brawn and other F1 chiefs at the Italian Grand Prix.

He added that "discussions are around being a supplier", so forming a works team was not on the agenda.

A job has just come in for Redbull F1 on Monday and Tuesday, will keep my ear to the ground and get the gossip :grin:

I think I`ll go in a Porsche :grin:

So that means then red bull will be running rebadged Merc Engine given that Aston has that the up with AMG for their road cars?

Was down at Redbull today, lots and lots of meetings going on including a de-brief of last weekends Race :grin:

From what I can gather, they really don`t want Honda engines as they like to win races :hand:

A little bit of Porsche chatter, but mainly as an engine supplier rather than a buyout.

Their trophy cabinet was looking mighty fine after the smash and grab last year
:thumbs:

RcuUcdF.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back