Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another - what would you choose

coullstar

Im struggling a bit which way to go on a couple of cars that I like however they are kind of different so Im just looking for other peoples opinions to see if theres anything that Ive missed.

99, C2, Zenith, M030, traction control, sports seats black interior, sunroof GT3 wheels, Gemballa silencers. Body needs a reasonable bit of tidying as it was daily'd for 9 years prior to current owner (in Aberdeen). 90k with 40k mile old Porsche replacement engine (single row IMS apparently). Lots of mechanical work done recently (coils, plugs etc etc). Original gearbox (with factory LSD) just replaced with lower mileage without diff as original was noisy. Massive file, owners known for last 10years.

00 C4, Silver, Aerokit, std black seats, GT3 wheels, no sunroof, Dansk exhaust looks in good condition otherwise standard car. 100k with good history. Coffin arms all done recently with tyres.

C2 is probably a little cheaper and obviously 60k less mileage on the engine. I do however like the look of the C4 and the aerokit and it looks like it would take a lot less to make into a well presented car.
I will only be doing 3-4k maximum a year and can do most mechanical work myself.

Swaying towards C2 if Im honest especially as its 20miles away and friend of a friend.

I would go with your gut feeling.

It's your money, you will be driving/living with the car every day so do what your heart tells you, not your head....otherwise you will always have that "I wish I bought that other one"

:thumb:

That's the thing, I don't have more of a gut feeling about either. Both appeal to me for differing reasons as I set out not to seek for a specific spec.

Id set out saying Aerokit however its now not a deal breaker. I would also like one I can tweek myself yet not devalue the car.

coullstar said:
Swaying towards C2 if Im honest especially as its 20miles away and friend of a friend.

Buy this one then :thumb:

To add my tuppence, if your in no rush I'd personally be waiting for a car that has already had an engine rebuild a proper rebuild and not a replacement bottom end from Porsche that way you have confidence that theres not a 10k expense sitting around the corner. .

Starting with a car with a known good engine & gearbox would be a must for me now, spoilers, wheels etc can be added a later date as can most other bits n bobs.

I doubt cars with a recent fully sorted engine will be in the same budget range as his 2 options.
If the C2 is a friend of a friends car & has been for 10 years then there is history there.

Do you have any lincks to the adverts?

My preference is the 996.2, but I think in the 996.1 is more of a classic at the moment.

Both are 3.4's.

C2 isn't advertised anywhere. It was a complete new engine from Porsche in 2010 due to bore scoring, £14k bill apparently done at the local OPC.

If both had similar engine history Id probably be more towards the C4 Aero.

I wouldn't be sure on either of those you mention but I have owned both C2 and C4. I'm now a convert to the C4 all the way !

That's interesting , can you expand why you prefer the C4? I started off looking for a C2 but then I got opertunity on a mint C4 and took it.

C2 would be my choice for reasons I've listed before.

Get the main spec you want, ie drive type, transmission type and bodyshell type. Everything else can be perfected over time and that's the fun part.

I get impatient some days and wish my car was exactly as I want it, but then I think Why? If it was, I'd get bored. The fun is in planning the jobs, hunting down rare parts and then the tinkering in the garage. Although to some owners that's not fun at all, they'd rather be driving than fixing. If that's the case then go C4 as it already looks how you want It.

C2. More desirable (to most people), lighter on its feet, less to go wrong.
Only problem is Zenith isn't the best colour but that's all just a matter of opinion. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back