Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Transmition Mount oil

Black-Adder

Need some help on this one please guys.

just returned from a 2k trip and I've noticed a small amount of oil coming from the transmition mount area, after wiping it looks like it may be comming from the small drain hole.
Car has been parked for a week and there is no oil on the garage floor just a small amount on the undertray.

Could this be the rear drive shaft seal or bearing if it has one on its way out. I was sure I could hear a worn bearing noise on the nice smooth French motaways, wife said I emajening it and paranoid.

2004 C4S

Thanks in advance
Mark

Attachments

• img_2144_569.jpg
    img_2144_569.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,933
I,v got to admit im struggleing to see a leak there , normally when tips leak its obvious and even then its only a very small amount .

It could gaskets or seals but need some side on pictures to have a better idear.

For a bearing to make a noise because of lack of oil then it would be pretty dam low .. you would have banging on gear selection and i would hazard a guess that the box would be toast at that point !

Hi Demort, I should of taken a photo before wiping off the small amount of oil.

Gear change is smooth, will try and get some side pictures tomorrow.

Cheers, back to the wine :thumbs:

Couple of side shots Demort, had a good nose around it today looks like it's been misting from the gasket for a long time, not sure if the main seal is weeping too as the oil is an upper side of the mount.
It's the first time I've seen any oil residue on the rear undertray, front undertryes are spotless as I resently has the front diff overhauld with new seals and bearings.

I will keep an eye on it and will mention it to the garage when it goes for a service as it looks like a awkward job laying on your back.

Cheers

Attachments

• img_2147_192.jpg
    img_2147_192.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,834
  • img_2148_183.jpg
    img_2148_183.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,834
Reverse switch is weeping at a guess. Mine was (is it a manual?) in exactly the same place. About a tenner for a new switch and 20 minutes to swap over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back