Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 buying blind

BChivs

Hi,

Would it be a completely crazy idea buying a car without viwing if it was from a reputable independent that has given a thorough run down, and you were having a PPI carried out inc bore inspection before collecting?

My only reason for asking is I have found a fairly suitable car which ticks most boxes but is a 5 hour drive each way and I can't view until later next week.

Ben.

Sounds fine to me.

My car was inspected by a garage before I bought it.

Then I went to collect, did a bank transfer and drove home 2 hours with a big fat grin on my face :D

:thumb:

A friend of mine bought a Cayman without seeing it, I checked it out for him and had it sent to Zentrum for PPI and bore checks, I even collected it for him and kept it until he came around to collect it from me a few days after.
As long as its checked out thoroughly I don't see a problem.

Use a credit card for deposit so you do have some comeback in the event of some issues.

I bought mine blind from a private seller, didn't even get an inspection done, just made a deal over the phone then flew over to collect. No problems whatsoever ;)

Do you all think in these circumstances an independent PPI is necessary? It is a reputable independent. They did say the would borescope it, but I can't help thinking the unbiased opinion of the inspection will be money well spent? At the end of the day the dealer wants to sell it so won't be as critical as the third party? Any thoughts or am I being paranoid?

If you're buying blind I'd definitely want someone independent to cast an expert eye over it.

BChivs said:
Do you all think in these circumstances an independent PPI is necessary? It is a reputable independent. They did say the would borescope it, but I can't help thinking the unbiased opinion of the inspection will be money well spent? At the end of the day the dealer wants to sell it so won't be as critical as the third party? Any thoughts or am I being paranoid?

I think this depends a bit on how much you're spending, the type of warranty and the amount of post purchase contingency you have tucked away - essentially it is a risk decision

There's no getting away from the fact that regardless of how reputable the dealership is, they have a vested interest and any appraisal given by themselves will be bias.
It's a lot of money to me, and for the sake of £300 it's huge piece of mind.

BChivs said:
There's no getting away from the fact that regardless of how reputable the dealership is, they have a vested interest and any appraisal given by themselves will be bias.
It's a lot of money to me, and for the sake of £300 it's huge piece of mind.

You've got there

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back