Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A refit to my 996 C4 - coilovers, big brakes, aero, paint

markrnorton

So here we go again.

Plan is to fit coilovers all round, GT3 front end , side skirts keep the ducktail and then get it painted.

first off a full set of coilovers to be fitted. I've done this before and everytime I try to strip down the existing suspension bolts appear to be fused into place ! Even the steering arm taper did not want to release today, some heat sorted it, but the taper 'holder' came away as well from the front hub ! grrr

and now the normally solid one, the pinch bolt at the bottom of the shock. nut comes away, but can I move the bolt, nope. wd40, nope, heat, hope. the last time I did this I had to drill it out.

before I go that far does anyone have a trick to releasing the bolt ? apart from extreme violence !

I'll post some pics of progress when I get some

Good luck :thumb: I know the pain of a rusty nut :eek:

At least I've started with a clean workshop

right stripped both front sides down to a point but both strut pinch bolts at the bottom are seized

I guess I'm going to have to drill these out as usual

Attachments

• img_0189_349.jpg
    img_0189_349.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,072
  • img_0192_488.jpg
    img_0192_488.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10,071
Its been a while since my last post. However I have now got down to removing/fitting the suspension.
report so far...

I managed to buy a BC set of coilovers very cheaply, so I thought I'd test them out. If they are good or not at least it gives me a chance to check the stance !

First impressions of the units are they are pretty well made. To a budget but you get what you pay for I guess. threads for the drop links on the rear needed re-tapping as they had been painted, but that's not too much of an issue.
springs are not 2.25" , slightly bigger. rears ok, and come with an alloy top platform and bearing, the fronts do not, but I'm changing them for adjustable bearing type top mount and 2.25" springs too.

both front and rears have adjustable spring platforms and adjustable ride height (separate). I've dropped the rears to minimum and fitted. not sure where it will sit yet. needless to say I am copperslipping all bots and fittings so in future it will come apart !

pictures to follow later

Re: A refit to my 996 C4 - new suspension, aero kit and pain

markrnorton said:
before I go that far does anyone have a trick to releasing the bolt ? apart from extreme violence !

I paid my Tuna to do it. It took them a couple of hours of extreme violence, but that was better than ruining an entire weekend trying to do it myself !

Since then, if I'm under the car doing other stuff, I try and remember to whip them out every now and then and give them a quick clean to make sure they don't seize up again.

Near side rear now in

Attachments

• img_0294_150.jpg
    img_0294_150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,540
I've also stripped out the offside rear now. Different seized bits, but still came out with wd40 and some cutting !

drop links always seem to seize on the bolts

Good work Mark! :thumb:

Everything seizes on the buggers doesn't it. Doesn't matter if it's M6 or M14.

Good work. I bet you dirty some of your carpet tiles though. :grin:

you're right on both counts, seizing up and carpet. had to get the vacuum out for a clean.

both rears on and car dropped to the ground. its low, very low !

on another note, just waiting for the new front springs to arrive.

when did spring rates change from lbs/in to kgs/mm, what a pain doing conversions ! things used to be simple.

Good work :thumb: +1 on every fastener on a 996 is always siezed :frustrated:

I'm looking forwards to hearing your thoughts on your coilovers.. It's something I'm going to need to attempt myself in the future.. I'm just not sure which brand to go with. :?:

1+ on the I'm sure it didn't used to be this much hassle too :lol:

Ok rant time
When I ordered the rear drop links , I was sent front ones !
What is wrong with people? But I have been sent the correct ones now

But..

Now today waiting for my 2 new front springs , 275lbs, to be delivered and hey presto what comes through my door. 2 new springs, however one is rates at 325 and the other 500lbs! So not even a pair
Is it me or are people becoming that slap dash they will sent out anything?
Not even a matched pair? What would you do with them?

Arghhhh

Ok
Update
On the left the standard way the BC coilover comes delivered
On the right I have updated it with 2.25 coil and new spring top platform

Still waiting on the rose joint top mounts as I don't want to use the old nasty existing ones

Attachments

• d5f73670_f188_41c0_a878_8a32511fb4b6_465.jpeg
    d5f73670_f188_41c0_a878_8a32511fb4b6_465.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,052

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back