Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK Buttons reprogrammed to work like paddles

160dmb

I have been umming and arring about changing my 997 Gen 2 Multi Function steering wheel to a paddle shift wheel to get away from the unnatural action of the PDK buttons but really didn't want to lose the Multi Function, nor am I really up for the expense of a Macan type steering wheel and airbag solution.

I now have a great solution ....

I have just had the PDK buttons rewired (rather than re-programmed) so that pulling the left switch changes down, and pulling the right one changes up. Pushing the switches away from you (left and right) does nothing.

Exactly what I had been aiming for!
Initial impressions are very positive.

Car and steering wheel look completely standard, just with improved functionality.

Having done the first one my local independent (JRW Elite Automotive) near Stansted airport is now able to do yours too if you want to go down this route.

Actually I have one small issue in case any of you can help me with a solution - I need to mark the left PDK switch with a "-" minus sign to indicate downshift, and the right one with a "+" for an upshift. If anyone is in the decal world or has any other great idea how to make it look as OE as possible I am all ears.

Really really pleased with this mod, and happy to put you in touch with Jamie @ JRW if you are interested in doing something similar.

re your problem, I have seen member G2 s tip surround custom painted by wicked coatings in Poole Dorset there custom paint guy hand painted different colour numbers and letters on it , it was then clear coat lacquered. that is an option for you with the plus and minus . :thumb:

Thanks Phil. I will give them a call. As you may recall I had the idea of doing this a while ago but I'm very glad I finally got round to it - it feels like how they should have worked all along.

Sounds good. What was the Cost of the work, and how long did it take to carry out?

911_AS said:
Sounds good. What was the Cost of the work, and how long did it take to carry out?

off subject but like the art at the bottom of your page!!

160dmb said:
Thanks Phil. I will give them a call. As you may recall I had the idea of doing this a while ago but I'm very glad I finally got round to it - it feels like how they should have worked all along.

Great idea to simply rewire the buttons.

The guys at wicked will be able to help. Worth sending them a picture of the complete wheel then call to talk through the design. They will only want the parts that you need painting, no electrics.

Took some gumption to actually start pulling things apart and rewiring them but I really like the result.

Disabling the push functionality is a great plus as I have hit the buttons inadvertently whilst turning the wheel in the past but pulling the left button to change down and the right one to change up is just instantly natural.

Jamie is a really top bloke and he charged me less because I had the idea and did all the research but he is thinking of charging £200 (plus the dreaded vat) now rear he knows how and what needs doing.

I think it's a great mod and keeping the MF on the steering wheel is a real bonus for me. I didn't want to lose it tbh. Bear in mind we still need a solution for the marking of thebpaddles though - call to wicked on the agenda but for my own purposes I actually don't even need to do it - just works well now.

Much cheaper than a new wheel (and/or airbag)

G2 said:
160dmb said:

Great idea to simply rewire the buttons.

The guys at wicked will be able to help. Worth sending them a picture of the complete wheel then call to talk through the design. They will only want the parts that you need painting, no electrics.

Do you have a picture of your wheel G2?

nigel99 said:
Do you have a picture of your wheel G2?

It was the PDK gate rather than the wheel mate. Phil was Just using it as an example of airbrushing.

I did have the inserts on my T5 steering wheel done in Red with soft touch paint, which makes it look frosty if that makes sense...will take a picture of that later.

silvermilnec said:
911_AS said:

off subject but like the art at the bottom of your page!!

Thank you!! My car is a Meteor Grey 997.2 with Chrono; this signature photo just had to be done! :thumb:

160dmb said:
Took some gumption to actually start pulling things apart and rewiring them but I really like the result.

Disabling the push functionality is a great plus as I have hit the buttons inadvertently whilst turning the wheel in the past but pulling the left button to change down and the right one to change up is just instantly natural.

Jamie is a really top bloke and he charged me less because I had the idea and did all the research but he is thinking of charging £200 (plus the dreaded vat) now rear he knows how and what needs doing.

I think it's a great mod and keeping the MF on the steering wheel is a real bonus for me. I didn't want to lose it tbh. Bear in mind we still need a solution for the marking of thebpaddles though - call to wicked on the agenda but for my own purposes I actually don't even need to do it - just works well now.

Much cheaper than a new wheel (and/or airbag)

Money well spent. Good to know alternative options are available, rather than spending circa £1k for a Sports Design Paddle Shift wheel. Very well done.

Got fed up with the 'tip' box and bought a Gen 2, solves all the problems in one go!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back