Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone out there got Koni FSDs?

sjb993

After about 10 years with my bone-shaking suspension setup, I have decided it's time to go for a more comfortable ride.

The car currently has Bilstein HDs, M033 springs and 18" Turbo Twist wheels. I am on the brink of pushing the button on some Koni FSDs. I intend sticking with the M033 springs, and I have a set of 17" Cup IIs that I'll put on.

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has gone from standard OEM shock absorbers to FSDs or HDs to FSDs would give their opinion of the difference in ride quality after the FSDs were fitted.

I have never tracked the car, and have no intention of doing so, so I'm not looking for the ultimate in high speed handling. I just want to be able to do some spirited country lane driving without having the fillings in my teeth shaken out when I go over a rough surface.

I'll be looking at a total cost of around £2K for the FSDs, the various other parts I need (because I'm moving from HDs not standard shocks), the fitting and the alignment.

Before I spend the money, I'd just like a little reassurance that I'll end up with a more relaxing ride.

TIA

If you do a search for Kimbo's old posts re. suspension, he literally tried it all and settled on FSDs. May be worth PMing him. I hear good things about the new classic shocks Porsche have just released. I am on Koni sports shocks which are hard. But then I also lowered to RS ride height!

One mans hard is anothers soft and compliant.
Personally I had FSD's and Eibach springs fitted to replace the originals and it was like night and day (so much better controlled and nicely firm without being harsh). Whether my originals were shot or not is another matter, so difficult to say.

Chris Franklin at CG rates the FSD's and that is good enough for me.

Kimbo ended up on M033 and FSD having tried just about every other option, and even he was happy in the end.

FSD get the :thumb: from CoG

I spent months searching the net for what I hoped would be a definite answer to this.
I eventually went the FSDs M033 route. I truely believe I made the right decision. Perfect for undulating and crappy British A & B roads.

Are they a zillion miles better than the OE dampers? I'd say they are better and worth the outlay. The surprising thing to me was how much faster I was travelling without realising it after they were fitted.

Just make sure of a couple of things. 1. Its set up correctly and 2. You allow for the fact that other parts are either worn out and/or need to be replaced whilst your in there.

Lastly the suspension needs I found 2-3K miles to bed in fully.

Fill your boots....... and be warned and prepared for possible OCD expense. :)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1537100&mid=194694

Last year I changed from standard shocks and springs to FSD's with M033's.

I don't know how worn my shocks were , the mileage was sub 70k at the time. I won't say there was a night and day difference but then my original setup was quite compliant anyway.
The new set up is somehow even softer on the dentures yet more surefooted. I'd definitely recommend if you've currently got a harsher ride , want more compliant but don't want an out and out track day set up.

As an aside, even my wife noticed the difference .. most surprising.

Let us know how you get on!

I've had FSDs fitted for about seven years and 38,000 miles, and I think they're a very good choice for road use. I believe I was the first customer Center Gravity had worked with on FSDs and recall how impressed Chris was with them on the test drives following the alignment. They were night and day compared to the 68K mile original Monroe units previously fitted.

Nearly 40K miles later the fronts are showing a little wear on CG's damper test rig but the car still drives very well indeed on them.

So FSDs + thorough check and replacement of worn suspension components + proper alignment = great choice, in my experience at least.

9xxnick said:
I've had FSDs fitted for about seven years and 38,000 miles, and I think they're a very good choice for road use. I believe I was the first customer Center Gravity had worked with on FSDs and recall how impressed Chris was with them on the test drives following the alignment. They were night and day compared to the 68K mile original Monroe units previously fitted.

Nearly 40K miles later the fronts are showing a little wear on CG's damper test rig but the car still drives very well indeed on them.

So FSDs + thorough check and replacement of worn suspension components + proper alignment = great choice, in my experience at least.

same here, car drove superbly on their FSD set up

Another FSD recommendation :thumbs:

The change on my car was noticeable however I did change several components including engine and gearbox mounts at the same time......

I have them in a box ready to fit with new M033 springs and top mounts.

Great to hear all the positive comments above, think they should work perfect for a glass top.

Go for it I say :), this many people can't be wrong.

Trev

sjb993 said:
After about 10 years with my bone-shaking suspension setup, I have decided it's time to go for a more comfortable ride.

The car currently has Bilstein HDs, M033 springs and 18" Turbo Twist wheels. I am on the brink of pushing the button on some Koni FSDs. I intend sticking with the M033 springs, and I have a set of 17" Cup IIs that I'll put on.

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has gone from standard OEM shock absorbers to FSDs or HDs to FSDs would give their opinion of the difference in ride quality after the FSDs were fitted.

I have never tracked the car, and have no intention of doing so, so I'm not looking for the ultimate in high speed handling. I just want to be able to do some spirited country lane driving without having the fillings in my teeth shaken out when I go over a rough surface.

I'll be looking at a total cost of around £2K for the FSDs, the various other parts I need (because I'm moving from HDs not standard shocks), the fitting and the alignment.

Before I spend the money, I'd just like a little reassurance that I'll end up with a more relaxing ride.

TIA

Sundeep's got a set of unused FSD's for sale on another thread
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122967

RobIpswichUK said:
Kimbo ended up on M033 and FSD having tried just about every other option, and even he was happy in the end.

I believe that this was on the car that I'm currently looking after.

They seem pretty good to me. Comfortable without being too soft or wallowy.

I've gone from 17" cup wheels to 18" hollow spokes and I don't find the larger wheel to be uncomfortable with this set-up. I didn't notice much difference at all when I switched.

OP, I'm not far from Reading if you want to see what they are like first-hand, although it doesn't go out in the rain which could be something of a hindrance to a run out at the present time!
:lightening: :lightening:

Great car - hope you're enjoying it :thumb:

FSD's all the way but next time I'd couple them with Eibach Sport Springs rather than M033. A bit lower but just as comfy.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back