Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 60
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
peterg1955
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 24
Location: Berkshire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Polishing pads - what to do after use? Reply with quote

OK I know this is probably going to sound really stupid but I've never done more than a good wash and a bit of some generic 'polish' on cars previously so....

Now I've finally got a 911 (only been driving 44 years...) and acquired a DAS from a friend who no longer needs it I have started to used the proper products (Basalt Black car so I have all the Blackfire stuff that was recommended on here).

The stupid bit is I'm wondering whether the foam pads (Lake Country Mfg) should be washed/rinsed after use so the product doesn't dry out and possibly go hard making them too abrasive next time or are they OK to just reuse?

Obviously I will always use the same product on each pad regardless.

I currently only have orange and red pads (moderate and light cutting) and don't really have many scratches/swirls to deal with so these seem sufficient for now.
_________________
2002 996 C2 black/black with aerokit and M030
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911TEL
Österreich


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 892
Location: Inverness and Highlands

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing pads - what to do after use? Reply with quote

peterg1955 wrote:
OK I know this is probably going to sound really stupid but I've never done more than a good wash and a bit of some generic 'polish' on cars previously so....

Now I've finally got a 911 (only been driving 44 years...) and acquired a DAS from a friend who no longer needs it I have started to used the proper products (Basalt Black car so I have all the Blackfire stuff that was recommended on here).

The stupid bit is I'm wondering whether the foam pads (Lake Country Mfg) should be washed/rinsed after use so the product doesn't dry out and possibly go hard making them too abrasive next time or are they OK to just reuse?

Obviously I will always use the same product on each pad regardless.

I currently only have orange and red pads (moderate and light cutting) and don't really have many scratches/swirls to deal with so these seem sufficient for now.


I have used the waffle pads with the farecla cutting compound , after use I put them in separate ziplock bags after damping them with a spritz of water.all have been fine when they are brought back out. Usable and just like new ..
_________________
Cayman GT4 Carmine red .. at last it gets the goodies it should have....
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
peterg1955
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 24
Location: Berkshire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing pads - what to do after use? Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
I have used the waffle pads with the farecla cutting compound , after use I put them in separate ziplock bags after damping them with a spritz of water.all have been fine when they are brought back out. Usable and just like new ..


That sounds like a good idea, I've done similar with paintbrushes in the past but not had to decorate a house for over 10 years so forgot about that tip, thank you.
_________________
2002 996 C2 black/black with aerokit and M030
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
TonyC911
Silverstone


Joined: 06 Jun 2016
Posts: 127
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks


PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSIf6fqVLI&t=347s

Check out the legendary Junkman for all things car detailing related! Cool
_________________
2007 Carrerra S
2005 Boxster S
2003 Boxster 2.7
1998 Boxster 2.5
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
kurlykris
Kyalami


Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 1807
Location: Warwickshire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyC911 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSIf6fqVLI&t=347s

Check out the legendary Junkman for all things car detailing related! Cool


I most certainly wouldn`t leave my polishing pads out in the back garden to dry and become contaminated with grit and dust and God only knows what else nooo

I pop them in a pillow case and wash them, then pop said pillow case containing them in the airing cupboard to dry out over the next few days Thumb

Using liquid detergent of course, don`t want any of the eggshell and talcum grit that is used in washing powder to destroy my paintwork nooo
_________________
1998 996.1 C2 3.4 with "Aerokit Cup"
2006 Boxster S sport chrono
2010 Mercedes E350 AMG Sport
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 453
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Junkman is an excellent source of info. I use APC to get the worst off my pads first and then finish off by hand.
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
KJD
Suzuka


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 1047
Location: Monmouthshire


PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wash my pads with a detergent, allow them to dry and store them in a clear zip tie food bag.
_________________
Arctic Silver 997 Manual Carrera 2s
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum