Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aerokit vs non aerokit - which do you prefer?

Do you prefer an aerokit on a 996?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not bothered either way

• Total voters

Fastlane

As per some recent threads there seems to be a great deal of love for aero kitted 996s, with prices to match.

So, which do you prefer (excluding GT3 of course!)?

It seems those who like aero kitted car are more open to standard cars than vice versa.
The 996 is a car for everyone, some have track weapons, some have grand tourers & other have daily cars. Then multiple that by the numerous variables of body type & gearbox & you have an extremely large fan base

Rear Wings on 996 and 997 seem to be coming back into favour which is a good thing as I like them :thumb:

I particularly wanted the aerokit on my turbo as I had read about the ram failure issues and the costs involved. For my C2 I wanted a non-aero car as I wanted it back to basics.

MC

I love the 996 aero kit. Not such a fan of the 997 aero kit however.

Had to be Aerokit for me, I just love the extra curvy lines plus the more purposeful look :thumb:

Tough one, I really wanted an aero kit when I started my recent search as I do feel the std car is just a little to soft, I think the car should be a little more aggressive looking. I do think that the std looking car is very nice and subtle and suits certain colours well. Std car needs to have a lower ride height.

However I think the skirts are just a bit OTT for me so Im unsure now. I think they are nice and it depends what your going to do with the car. I actually think the 996.2 GT3 aero is spot on, nice and aggressive but not OTT.

Id be happy with either now but would pay a little premium for an aerokit car.

Love the aerokit on the 996.1 sometimes wish id not sold my special white low mileage one. Saw a lovely early 996 non aerokitted car at chatsworth this year which also thought looked fab.
Think its all about the quality of the car with such a mix between really rough cars and the well looked after ones.

I agree with that, I also think the skirts are to much I'm also not a lover of the huge rear spoiler. The standard car could do with something though, the front bumper on a turbo looks good/more aggressive, on the rear I'd probably opt for ducktail if I couldn't adapt turbo bootlid to fit the NB.

So definitely non aero for me.

Got to have the Aerokit.

I can live with most aspects of the standard car but the front bumper is just so weedy and non descript, especially on the 996.1. I'd thought about trying to fit some sort of splitter to the standard bumper but figured why bother. Just fit the Aerokit which transforms the car.

All purely personal though. Aerokit adds value as there are plenty of buyers who want it and the parts are getting very expensive as the cars get older.

The naysayers say "It's adds no value to me", and that's fine but it doesn't mean it adds no value. There's a queue of people who will pay more for an Aerokit car.

I'm very happy with my non-aero cab, if I ever picked up a coupe to go with it I'd consider an aero car but it would not be the defining factor.

I voted No but I also agree with this....

Marky911 said:
I can live with most aspects of the standard car but the front bumper is just so weedy and non descript, especially on the 996.1. I'd thought about trying to fit some sort of splitter to the standard bumper but figured why bother. Just fit the Aerokit which transforms the car.

I don't think the side skirts have aged well but the front needs a 'chin' to balance the shape. I'm going to try adding a splitter at some point, if I was to modify it further I'd lower it and add a ducktail as I prefer the more classic look. GT3 carries off the look however as it suits its purpose.

Aerokit all the way! Gets a surprising amount of comments and it's a great piece of 90's art.

Attachments

• img_0476_1_210.jpg
    img_0476_1_210.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 4,860
Always surprised by the love for the .1 aerokit. Looks cheap and glued on, especially the sill covers, to my eye.

996.1 is a lovely, clean, simple design and the aerokit really undermines that. Very fussy. For my money, there are few cars that look good with bits glued on, and the 996 isn't one of them. If you have a car that's already visually very busy, gluing something big onto the back won't detract. But the 996 has such a clean silhouette, for me it's a pity to whack a big lump of plastic on the back, stick some bendy looking bits on the sills etc.

Looks just as ***** on a GT3 as a Carrera. If I had a .1 GT3, I'd de-aerokit it!

But I certainly can't deny it's popular!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back