Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When would a 911 stop being a 911?

T8

Super Moderator
This started on a different thread but (imo) is worthy of discussion in its own right.

Thoughts?

wasz said:
will be the same story when the 911 loses its flat six.

sure whatever they come up with will be worthy, just different.

If the 911 lost its flat six it wouldn't be a 911. :judge:

T8 said:
wasz said:
will be the same story when the 911 loses its flat six.

sure whatever they come up with will be worthy, just different.

If the 911 lost its flat six it wouldn't be a 911. :judge:

I don't think it has to have a flat six necessarily to be a 911. I don't think there is one single element that defines a 911. It's more a combination of factors. If they put in a flat eight tomorrow I don't think the world (i.e. those who actually buy 911's new from the manufactuer) would care. Amnd there will be electirc 911's. At the very least hybrid within a couple of years where your flat six might be a 1litre charge only version. And within a couple more years after that, all electric.

Niall996 said:
I don't think it has to have a flat six necessarily to be a 911. I don't think there is one single element that defines a 911. It's more a combination of factors. If they put in a flat eight tomorrow I don't think the world (i.e. those who actually buy 911's new from the manufactuer) would care. Amnd there will be electirc 911's. At the very least hybrid within a couple of years where your flat six might be a 1litre charge only version. And within a couple more years after that, all electric.

Sorry, I can't agree.

The 911 has had a flat-six engine for 54 years.

Turbo charging it or hybriding it is ok but lose the flat six and it will cease to be a 911.

T8 said:
Niall996 said:

Sorry, I can't agree.

Turbo charging it or hybriding it is ok but lose the flat six and it will cease to be a 911.

Well ultimately that's between Porsche and their future consumers to decide. If Porsche put '911' on the back and buyers pay for them, then they're 911's.

Niall996 said:
T8 said:
Niall996 said:

Sorry, I can't agree.

Well ultimately that's between Porsche and their future consumers to decide. If Porsche put '911' on the back and buyers pay for them, then they're 911's.

That's the thing. I just can't see Porsche doing that.

When the Boxster and Cayman lost 2 pots they gained different names and there was no particular history or heritage associated with either of them.

The 911 has become an icon and has always had a rear mounted flat-six engine. If that changed then I'm convinced that the name would too.

Perhaps the 912 moniker would be resurrected. :dont know:

Technically one could argue that it doesn't need rear seats to be a 911! Although i think while there will always be dedicated 2 seater track versions, part of the essence of a 911 is thats it's fundamentally a two door 2+2. That you can see out of, drive to the shops in every day and still be as fast as most things out there, and maintain a rough equivalent of the overall silhouette. And be very premium while accessible. Other than that, most of the mechanical greasy bits hidden away are up for grabs.

wasz said:
If the 911 lost its air-cooled engine it wouldn't be a 911. :judge:

Sorry, your 'judgement' was overturned 19 years ago. :grin:

T8 said:
Niall996 said:

Sorry, I can't agree.

:yeah:

Flat six or nothing ......

It will stop being a 911 when Porsche in their wisdom decide it is no longer a 911. They decided it was a 911 to start with, they will decode when it stops being one.

MC

When it loses its cable throttle...

:D Sorry, just joking.

I think to lose the flat six would be a big factor but I think it will one day.
And also if they keep edging the motor forward (or rotating it with the box) then it will be mid engined. Maybe not such a big deal as the handling will get better and better. On paper though to be mid engined rather than rear is a big step away from that 54 years of heritage.

As long as they sound great and drive great people will buy them.
Personally I like N/A engines and the death of N/A is in full swing now so anything newer than say a 991GT3 or Cayman GT4 probably won't appeal much to me. Not for my weekend car anyway.

The 911 will be 77 years old when they bring in the IC engine ban in 2040 in the UK. I'm sure most of Europe will do the same. It's unlikely Porsche will have two concurrent mainstream 911 models so it will probably mean a worldwide EV only 911. Even for track cars, there's no point in making a petrol version in that scenario and EV would probaly be quicker anyway. So on the basis of a flat 6 petrol engine being an essential prerequisite, the 911 has only 22 and a bit years left. But in reality, no one would spend so much on a car after 2030 that will be effectively illegal within ten years and already unresellable.

So the all electic 911 has to arrive sometime in the 2020's. Which means within ten years more or less. So if a 911 has to have a petrol flat six, it's over. So Total911, 911UK, and all the worlds 911 based media will have to be retro/classic sites as there willl be no new 911's by the flat six defintion. And all petrol 911's will be certified historical classic cars for museums, special permission drives or just ornaments in a garage. People wont be so differentiating between one verion of a flat six and another. They'll all be otherwordly to the future generations.

Do we sell and get out now while we still can or hold on for the IC engine armageddon and hope our little sports cars are of some value to someone when that day comes?

Or just embrace the likelihood that just as Porsche have always made the worlds best sports car for the money with the best packaging and the best everyday usability, they'll somehow construct something gorgeous and desirable that somehow uses electricity in a fabulous way and it will be the 911 of its day. Unless the world actually turns completely away from the bizarre notion of sports cars completely.

In that context, it makes you think a bit about the infinity of petty squables over the years about headlight shapes and cable throttles!

And remember, your IMS only has a few more years to survive :D I hope Hartech et al are getting their EV knowledge up to scratch.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding of the ban in there Niall996. The ban is on selling new petrol engine cars. Not on selling second hand ones or on driving them. Big difference.

MC

MisterCorn said:
It will stop being a 911 when Porsche in their wisdom decide it is no longer a 911. They decided it was a 911 to start with, they will decode when it stops being one.

MC

Think you will find it was a 901 to start with, but Peugeot weren't having it, hence it got changed to 911. Some of the older engine part number start 901.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back