Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition switch

steve1

Nurburgring
Hi guys
Ignition switch failed, can still use it but feels like internals have failed
Any opinions on options would be apprecated.

Steve

Do you mean its stiff to turn the key and some electrical items dont work ? if so then its the rear electrical part of the lock thats failed , i prefer to replace the entire unit minus the barrel but people on here will be able to say where to get just the electrical connection .

if not then its as been stated above .. little more info please :)

The electrical part is working
The mechanical section has failed and when the key is removed it still says the key not removed, and the spring bias seems displaced or in the wrong place

FYI - there is an "earlier" and "later" version of the ignition switch, which use different barrel assemblies.... just be sure whatever parts you swap in are all compatible

- the earlier switches are black and green (from memory), the later switches mainly white... should be easy enough to uncover the different part numbers for the barrels

I drove my car for years before discovering that the previous owner fitted a later switch which wasn't compatible - over time the action of the key chewed it up and gave similar symptoms to the ones you describe - I was all set to replace the whole assembly based on the switch I pulled out, before I realised it was a cheap, easy, next day fix to simply fit a new VAG switch of the right type (the earlier switches will fail quicker and be a more regular "quasi-service" item, but are a fraction of the price... so....)

Got home from Cornwall
Fixt by my local Indy £260
Well pleased

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back