Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help: Lighter Exhaust = Higher Rear ?

TBE997

Monza
Hi,

my car is currently at centergravity in Atherstone (very impressive shop!) for the Eibach pro springs, suspension maintenance and a new geo.

They have noticed that whilst the front is 12mm lower than stock (which makes sense, i have a C2S with sports suspenion, think they are stock-10mm), the rear was actually 4mm higher than stock.

Installing the Eibachs has lowered the car 16mm front and rear, which means that the rear is still sitting higher (see below).

I have recently fitted a Tubi silencer and sportscats (previously PSE) - could it be that the lighter exhaust system has led the rear to lift up (as opposed to the heavier PSE pulling the car down)?

Any help or appreciated, maybe someone has experienced this as well?

Thanks

Before

A1edxFO.jpg

After

rwYsJjV.jpg

In short no. The stock PSE is around 35kg total system (excl manifolds). If you are lucky, the Tubi system may come in at 25kg. A 10kg saving will makes as near as damn it, zero difference to the rake angle. You may actually find the car drives better with a slightly lower front end.

Thank you ELA, that makes sense. In all the threads about Eibachs and in general about lowering I have read, this has never come up before.

So I wonder why the rear was then significantly higher, I would have thought that on the sports suspension both front and rear should be 10mm lower. Even CG were a bit surprised about this.

Maybe one of the previous owners replaced the rear springs with stock height springs?

Mine was also found to be sitting lower at the front at CG but the back was normal. Perhaps there was a run of front springs with a different load rating. All seemed well otherwise.

Yours looks good lowered, I want to get some spacers before lowering to help the stance.

Thanks Tom, that's interesting. CG also said that this was not really an issue as the car will still handle well, just from an optical point of view.

Spacers are definitely on the plan, think I'll go 7mm all around as I have MPS4S 305 on 11.5J alloys, and the tire wall is very square so already sticking out a bit more than slightly stretched tires... else it would be 15mm in in the rear!

Will be interesting to see if I start scrapping the speed humps in Central London :driving:

I thought CG would be able to check what springs they were from the markings and coloured stripes?

It would be most unusual to change only front or only rear springs in isolation and without checking what was already installed.

Eibachs and H&R springs both add a touch of forward rake to the car so the front is a bit lower than the back. It will settle a bit more over time but the gap between the wheel and arch will always be slightly larger at the rear. Wheel spacers are a must if you lower the car, as lowering makes the gap look bigger. I have 12mm all round with standard Porsche wheels and OEM size tyres which looks perfect to me.

Yes sounds right that by "default" the front should be a bit lower than a back.

However I think this is more related to the dampers than the springs, as with the original springs my car 4mm higher in the rear compared to stock and 12mm lower in the front compared to stock.

If the springs have been the issue, then the new Einschà¤tzung should have resolved this "unbalance" - however the car is now 16mm lower across the board.

Anyways I need to see what it looks like in person, I think the only real solution would have been Bilstein damptronics, but they are more expensive and hard to get hold off...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back