Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke On Start Up

rus_987

Hi,

Today I went to start up the 987 and it started fine, but a lot of white/bluey smoke came out and smelt kind of like oil...not diesel oil, but just oil, and I mean A LOT of smoke came out. It disappeared after 10 seconds or so, but then on 2nd start up probably 30% of the first amount came out, and on 3rd start up when it was fully warm nothing came out.

Engine runs fine, no warning lights. Never had this before. The only thing I can think of is last night I started it for about 30 seconds to move it and shut it off without driving more than 30 yards, and without letting it warm up. It was also a very humid night last night.

I'm planning to let it sit till tomorrow evening and start it up again to see?

But any ideas of what this could be?

Put your phone at the back and film it when you start. Post the video on here.

alex yates said:
Put your phone at the back and film it when you start. Post the video on here.

OK, i will do this during my start tomorrow evening...hopefully it will be ghost and nothing to show :thumbs:

Started up this morning before going to work.. clean, no wisp of smoke. I read on another forum last night that this happens when you start it don't let it warm up and kill it.

rus_987 said:
Started up this morning before going to work.. clean, no wisp of smoke. I read on another forum last night that this happens when you start it don't let it warm up and kill it.

Sounds about right, I've had my 996 for 4 months now and done just over 3,500 miles and it (the white smoke at startup) has happened to me once in all that time and that was the day after I had to move it off the front drive to do something without the car in the way and then moved it back on it again so the engine wouldn't have got warm at all.

Its sounding pretty normal to me .. if you have smoking after 10 seconds or so you may have a problem .

If you have a large plume of smoke every time after an over night startup you may have a problem .

See how you get on it the future and let us know if it comes back on normal usage .. i dont think it will from what you have posted though .

Cheers for the replies guys... yeah I figured that the flat 6 engines tend to behave this way, since the time it happened I haven't seen a repeat of the situation. I've also read that the Air Oil Separator is quite common to fail on these engines, but when that fails the car smokes non-stop and has enough smoke to help win the battle of Jutland.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back