Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help!!- won't start (997.1)

brownspeed

it started first time this morning (as it does every time). I've just gone to start it 5 minutes ago; Nothing. Just a very slight barely audible click/ whirr from the engine area- obviously I can't pinpoint this as I'm in the seat trying to start the *****. Arrrgghh
battery was new in april/may.
any clues where to start looking/ what to do to get it going?

advice greatly appreciated.

Are you 100% sure it's not a flat battery? Even though the battery is new, that's the first thing to positively rule out in case something (lights left on, etc?) has flattened it. Do the lights on the dash come on when you turn the key and do they stay bright when you turn it to the starter position?

Do you "fully" depress the clutch pedal when starting? The clutch switch can start to become iffy and may need a few goes. Make sure your carpet isn't preventing full depression. Try this first.

thanks for the replies;
1) lights don't seem to dim when trying to start; currently awaiting a set of jump leads to rule out the battery.
2) definitely fully depressed the clutch each time. I'm also now a bit depressed myself.

OK, I'm guessing now.....stuck starter motor? try rocking the car backwards and forwards while in first gear....then re-start..... :dont know:

situation update;-
not the battery- tried jump leads; no difference.
rocked by & forth in gear; no change
clutch pedal will fully depress.

:dont know:

1 step ahead ( forget to mention) tried the spare key too.
good shout tho'

Try talking to her nicely?

ok so jump leads made no difference so its electrical, no spark! coil pack/s

someone much wiser will be along soon

clutch pedal sensor might still be cause as if its failed then it makes no difference if its down or up

Aphill80 said:
clutch pedal sensor might still be cause as if its failed then it makes no difference if its down or up
But it would show a dash warning if it was clutch switch.

Starter cable recall done?

"Starter cable recall"???
what's that? (he asked unknowingly) sounds like a replacement cable to the starter (?)
does that exhibit the same symptoms?

Sounds like the starter motor to me where it's stuck (but you've tried rocking it in gear) or it's not getting enough current or knackered :dont know:

Just call your choice of OPC (Porsche franchised dealer) with full vin and they can tell you if it's been done, and any other recalls that might have been necessary.
Iirc the starter cable issue was more noticeable when hot starting.
HTH, good luck sorting.

Is the cable from the negative battery terminal to the car (earth) intact and in good condition?

brownspeed said:
thanks for the replies;
1) lights don't seem to dim when trying to start; currently awaiting a set of jump leads to rule out the battery.
2) definitely fully depressed the clutch each time. I'm also now a bit depressed myself.

Mine has just had this problem and it manifests like what you have, but on the dash it will be saying "depress clutch" even if you have it fully down. Mine gradually got worse and worse so doubt it is this.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back