Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor Headlight connection - Loom or tool out there?

pietrzj

Hi,

I have/had a number of problems related to my OSF headlight:

1. Automatic leveling not working
2. Main bulb not illuminating without a helpful thump

The main reason seems to be that the outside plastic rail was mis aligned and the mating of the connector on headlamp insertion was therefore at an angle and not making a good connection.

Until I found this I had to remove the front wheel and inner arch plastic to assist the mating each time I re-inserted the headlamp unit.

The fix involved a sharp pull of the outside upright metal plate toward the the hood.

The other issues I had were a broken connector (from headlamp unit to loom/harness) and broken location tabs on the socket it connects to (headlamp unit end). I have replaced the socket on the headlamp and I had already bought the pale blue connector to replace the broken one on the harness that mates to the headlamp unit. However, it seems I need a tool to remove the old connector (part number 90006).

I am now left with two options:
1. Try and source the electrical connector seperator tool, or
2. Try and source a used loom (front compartment section), which is about 1 metre long and has a total of 4 connections.

Any advice? Or even parts/tools out there?

headlamp socket

headlamp socket

Attachments

• img_5111a_129.jpg
    img_5111a_129.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 3,088
New socket (slightly different hole profile, which meant I had to pull the tab out further to stop it pushing back, but the pins are not as protruding as the original socket by a few mm

Attachments

• img_5112b_344.jpg
    img_5112b_344.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 3,086
Broken location tabs on original

Attachments

• img_5115e_164.jpg
    img_5115e_164.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 3,082
This is the connector I need to open up with the tool or replace with a new bit of loom

Attachments

• img_5117f_997.jpg
    img_5117f_997.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 3,079
The new blue connector that will replace the old black one if I use the tool option

Attachments

• 523369_x800_824.jpg
    523369_x800_824.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3,074
Had the same problem a few years ago. Fitted the new blue socket tool was sourced on ebay, actually a pair with all sorts of tool ends but it can be done with small electrical screwdrivers. Same part on Boxters iirc.

Helped a friend change his headlight connectors just for fun - new blue ones on each side to replace the original white ones - he had the correct tool - If you have the front arch liner off make sure the cable to the headlight unit has a clear path and not crimped or bent anywhere - that was causing his side light to be intermittent- - hope to hear that the new blue connector is the answer to your issue

When I replaced one of mine, I couldn't get the terminals to release - even with the correct tool.

I resorted to using side-cutters to remove the mounting flanges (red), and then melting/cutting along the green lines with a soldering iron, before ripping the connector shell into a gazillion pieces with needle-nosed pliers.

Messy, but cathartic :D

Attachments

• connector_973.jpg
    connector_973.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 2,896
Thanks for the replies. Very useful advice.

I managed to find a loom section from Jasmine for a boxter. Not sure it is identical but prepared to take a gamble. Even if it doesn't fit, I will use it to practice separating the connector as I know that part is identical.

If the loom section is the same (as one of you suggested as well as the original advert I say for the loom), I will just swap the whole section - and tell everyone its the same of course :thumbs:

Seems like a bargain at £19.95 for the loom section (used of course), when the tool could be as much as £28.

I will keep you posted

Jan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back