Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Appreciate some thoughts on this C2 - thinking of buying!

Stephen603

Hi Gurus

I am thinking about going for this C2 appreciate everyone's thoughts on it!!! I have a Honda accord type r so this would be my weekend car

http://www.pauldevyea.co.uk/porsche-911997-3-6-gen-ii-carrera-2-coupe/

Would you say a inspection is recommended before buying any car? Apart from OPCs...

This is my 2nd biggest purchase and 2nd biggest decision in my life... so it has to be the right one!

Thanks! Gurus

:worship:

Looks good! Grey leather is not the best colour and it's missing PSE, but gundo hack and/or bypass pipe will fix that.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about ppi on a Gen2.

Be prepared for lots of cleaning on basalt.

James

As james said.

There's plenty out there so don't buy the first you see.

Also don't let distance put you off. The drive home is to be savoured :grin:

For me, it would have to be an "s" or 4s with the bigger brakes, quad exhaust and of course the 3.8 litre engine with pse and sports chrono.

Good luck with what you choose, the hunt is part of the fun :thumb:

I was about to say, You could get a S for that sort of price. Either it's a touch over priced, they've appreciated abit or the condition really is spanking.

Gen 2's are great. I probably still would PPI it, As theres lots of other area's that can become quite costly. Coolant pipes, corroded bits and bobs here and there, radiators, bushes etc.

Its one thing i wish i'd have done buying my S, not that it's been a bad car. But i could have got a better price knowing what i know now :)

Paint work is a big one on these cars, Most have had some. Take your time to look around at each panel from different angles, Towards the panel edges for tell tail signs its had paint in the past. It's not off putting, just make sure you're happy with it if its had some. It can be costly to put right if it annoys you.

You'll be buying into everything that is Porsche ownership, These cars are a step up from any other sports car and do require at times, costly maintenance bills. But the rewards from driving a 911, especially a 997 in my opinion outweigh the cost :)

I agree it is a little overpriced. I paid £38k for mine from JZM 2 years ago on 37k miles.

There's not many c2's around on the market to compare with. (Just seen a comparable car at Charles Hurst in Belfast -for £37k).

You probably can get into a higher mileage S for that money. (Eg silver one at RPM on 68k miles, another silver one at RSJ on 48k miles if there is some budget creep)

The 3.6 is plenty quick enough for me, I get my kicks from corners rather than straight line speed.

Good luck with the search! :D

It's a good looking car which seems to be in nice condition. I like the wheels and the grey interior lifts the light levels inside. I am not a fan of black... even though I have it myself :roll:

IMHO a manual, low mileage 997.2 Carrera S is just about the sweet spot for this model. Usable everyday if needs be, very capable, quick, feels special and a car that still feels pretty modern to drive.

As others have pointed out, the price on this car is very strong and a lack of optional extras could hurt come re-sale. I have never liked paying a dealer a big premium for doing very little. If you have to pay for a costly PPI, why not buy a newer car privately?

Good luck, hope you find your dream car! :thumbs:

Alfaian said:
As james said.

There's plenty out there so don't buy the first you see.

Also don't let distance put you off. The drive home is to be savoured :grin:

For me, it would have to be an "s" or 4s with the bigger brakes, quad exhaust and of course the 3.8 litre engine with pse and sports chrono.

Good luck with what you choose, the hunt is part of the fun :thumb:

Agree👍👍👍

Hi All,

Hope you had a great weekend! :thumb:

Thanks alot for the advice Gurus is much appreciated I met Pauldevyea and judging on what I read and how I felt at the time. I offered him 38K and planned to work upwards from there.

He was furious and almost told me to get out, so I walked. :eek:

I guess is the first time I have been in any sort of negotiation for a car, yes it might have been a cheeky ask but I was prepared to go up but the car was missing a lot of optional extras for the price and it had a number of very deep markings at the back in the interior.

He was also a bit funny about giving test drives, which I thought was a bit strange since is the 2nd time I went to see the car. I did test drive it in the end but still just a bit too uptight attitude I thought.

Very different experience I had at Renaissance at that stage I was battling a 997 C2/S Vs 981 Cayman decision. And I was given a test drive with out a sales person and took the car unsupervised. I was careful with the Cayman and appreciated the experience because I was more comfortable during the test drive.

After that I went to see RSJ and met Darren who was super friendly, they had lot of great Gen2 and Gen1 cars but none that I wanted. Gen 2 997 manual. After a fair bit of conversation it seems that low 40s is not unreasonable for Pauldevyea's car. And from what I have told compared to last year 997 gen 2 have gone up slightly from last yr (3K to 4K). He has a C2S PDK asking for 42. And also explained that PDK's generally cost a bit more but due to the rarity of Manual cars they are treated the same price if not a bit more going forwards.

It was fruitful day and I learned that the very best models on a 997 Carrera/S gen 2 would be low 40s at the very least. Even Paul got a bit unfriendly I still appreciated what I got from it. And we had a great chat about his encounters with James May from Top Gear. For me 997 C2 is still a great car despite the power and a few other things. For me is more than enough coming from a Honda accord type r. (209 BHP)

Anyway so the hunt continues, hope everyone has a great start to the week! :thumb:

I don't think its unreasonable for you to have bid what you did - it is after all as you point out your starting position! I would have started with a similar offer looking at it!

Don't let this experience put you off the next time you bid, start a bit lower than the asking price as you did, especially if you think he car is a little overpriced, under equipped etc!

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

monster said:
I don't think its unreasonable for you to have bid what you did - it is after all as you point out your starting position! I would have started with a similar offer looking at it!

:agree:

Car up at £42k, you offer £38, surely he can work out that you are going to end up somewhere between £40-41k and secure a sale :dont know:

monster said:
Don't let this experience put you off the next time you bid, start a bit lower than the asking price as you did, especially if you think he car is a little overpriced, under equipped etc!

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

Keep hunting, you will get there.

:thumb:

When I was negotiating on mine, they weren't keen to budge on price, so I got them to include 4x tyres, next major service (inc plugs), and a Porsche car seat.
That lot would have cost me just under 2grand (obviously would have cost them less).

Worth considering as a tactic in future once you find the right car.

James

James M-S said:
When I was negotiating on mine, they weren't keen to budge on price, so I got them to include 4x tyres, next major service (inc plugs), and a Porsche car seat.
That lot would have cost me just under 2grand (obviously would have cost them less).

Worth considering as a tactic in future once you find the right car.

James

Likewise, I had no discount when I bought mine from an OPC in January but got them to include a major service that wasn't technically due for 4 months in the price.

wasz said:
Car dealer doesn't know how to negotiate! :roll:

If the roles were reversed you can bet he would be bidding you in the balls.

Anyway, my thoughts are: once you have a 911, sell the Accord, you don't need it anymore.

I can't sell the accord :) is like is a part of me now... because is been so many yrs....

The accord will be a A to B car plus is worthless ... lol is worth more to me than its worth....

I think he had a bad morning or something...but after seeing the huge marks in the back for the interior, I am less keen.

There is a car I saw at OPC.... so time to get my negotiation CAP on !
:D and see who I can p*ss off next :grin:

You did the right thing to walk away; anybody who gets aggressive with a customer for no good reason is just not worth the time. Those marks sound bad and really put buyers off (in my humble opinion)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back