Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Octane Magazine next month

wasz

Paul Ricard
vcnZ3WN.jpg

Ooh that looks good :thumb:

Niall996 said:
The greatest of all 911's for the discerning 911 driver.

I think you are about 10-15 years too early with that opinion!

MC

wasz said:

The only 'problem' with articles like these in wide coverage mags like these is that after reDing , Everyman and his brother wants to get in on the 'investment ' Porsche .... this drives the prices up and it makes it harder for us ' enthusiasts' to have the cars we dreamed off whilst getting families raised and out of the nest .... time comes when we want to but can't always afford the flat six of our boyhood passions!!

I would still like to buy a 964 Turbo but not really realistic nowadays!!

I picked up a copy of this today and read the article.

It really just says what most of us already know and what is being said across the Porsche press - the 996 is a really good underrated and undervalued 911 and prices are on the up - get yourself one whilst they are still affordable. It features a lightly modified 996.2 GT3 and a 996.2 manual C2.

There is also "How to buy a good one" pretty much written by RPM Technik which highlights most of the common issues - however their first "golden rule" is to ensure the IMS bearing has been replaced with an upgraded one! All the costs quoted are at the top end price wise - e.g. £1.2k to replace the coolant rads and £1.2k for the ac rads.

As has already been said, it will no doubt bring the 996 to the attention of more people and so further drive up prices.

Fastlane said:

It really just says what most of us already know and what is being said across the Porsche press - the 996 is a really good underrated and undervalued 911 and prices are on the up - get yourself one whilst they are still affordable. It features a lightly modified 996.2 GT3 and a 996.2 manual C2.

There is also "How to buy a good one" pretty much written by RPM Technik which highlights most of the common issues - however their first "golden rule" is to ensure the IMS bearing has been replaced with an upgraded one! All the costs quoted are at the top end price wise - e.g. £1.2k to replace the coolant rads and £1.2k for the ac rads.

As has already been said, it will no doubt bring the 996 to the attention of more people and so further drive up prices.

Sounds like a load of cr@p to me then, better off doing your research on here. It isn't as if magazines have an eye in to the future. It sounds like like lazy journalism to me. I thought an early 996 was a great buy 18 months ago, where were the journalists then?

MC

Fastlane said:

Recently purchased a lightweight flywheel and clutch plate from rpm and the only reason I didn't take it to them to do the work is when asking for a quote they tried to tell me they recommended changing the ims and then gave me the if you don't a rebuild could cost plus of 10k
So I had it done else where and ims checked which is fine :thumb:

£1.2k for water rads and £1.2k for aircon rads??!!

I bought my aircon rads for £70 the pair and water rads for £130 the pair. So £200 and anyone can fit them themselves. There are dozens of guides and YouTube clips to watch.

So £200 vs £2400. Highlights the 2 main approaches to ownership I suppose.

My mechanic will be doing a coolant flush in a few weeks time when he does waterpump and LTT which are another £300 for parts and £80 to £100 for labour if that. Haven't got an exact labour figure as I'm getting loads done at the same time so the total bill will be more.

To be fair to the mags they have to write about something and most of us enthusiasts have already discussed most of what is in every magazine anyway.
News travels faster online than in a monthly magazine.

MisterCorn said:
Sounds like a load of cr@p to me then, better off doing your research on here. It isn't as if magazines have an eye in to the future. It sounds like like lazy journalism to me. I thought an early 996 was a great buy 18 months ago, where were the journalists then?

MC

996s have always been a great buy and great cars. Where were you four years ago when they really were great value? Or whenever?

The timing is about right for this kind of feature on this car. It's no good them running it four years ago when hardly anybody was interested in 996s and people thought the lights were awful and couldn't see much beyond that.

Interest is on the up and that's why the feature has come out now.

Inevitably, it's going to fall short in several areas when viewed from a 996 enthusiast context. That said, any one of us who thinks we know the issues with these cars back to front could write it and the rest of us would all take issue with certain aspects.

I could say, just as a for instance, that you're far better off running 17s for a sweet handling 996, but even around here most run big wheels. Or that I don't fully agree with the notion that once the IMS bearing goes past a danger zone mileage wise it then becomes relatively safe as I have seen far too many go at higher miles. So in the end you have to take these thins as they are. Just one take on what is ultimately quite a complex subject.

All that said, if it's full of obvious errors or displays fairly clear ignorance, that's no good.

I bought my 996 turbo in December 2010 when they were really great value. 21k miles, x50 with aerokit for £36k. I still have that and bought the C2 to go with it.

MC

yep a few of us got lucky 4 years ago and bought at the bottom of the market.

This is a really high profile article in a magazine loved by wealthy "investors" it will be on the coffee table at sothebys.

So, nevermind the errors, it helps to reinforce that these are actually really really good cars.

Prices are definitely on the up. A few weekends ago I went to look at a c2 at Cridfords near Guildford. At the time it was up for £20,00. They have since put the price up to £22,000! :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back