Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How awesome is Sport Mode ?!? Thoughts ...?

911DG

Evening all,

So I've had the Gen1 C2S cab for about 8 weeks now and it's just a phenomenal piece of kit. Absolutely love it.

Last few days I've been driving her in Sport mode and I'm absolutely hooked. Turn off sports suspension as you can literally feel every stone on the road, but it feels soooo much more pokey. Mines a Tip and when in manual (which is always) there seems to be huge difference. I've just had the Gundo Hack done so I think the louder exhaust plays a huge part as now it just sounds mean and Sport mode Really seems to emphasise it.....
I couldn't stop smiling !

Am i imagining it or does everyone else find it That noticeable ?? If so WTF have I been doing for the last 8 weeks ??? Keen to hear thoughts !

Cheers

Dan :?:

:lol:

Yeah mines the sport and sports plus buttons too.

Like you i always turn the suspension off as its too much. The up shift in sports plus is savage with PDK though. Even tipping in and using manual its still great. Probably no faster as it holds the revs then dumps the next gear in, More of a feel fast thing...

You'll see your rear tyres disappear fast using it all the time :lol:

Drives so much better in my view primarily down to much improved throttle response, however it's a pain having it in that mode round town as it just holds onto the gears abit to long. So end up flipping between manual and auto

Controversial view coming up.....

I have a standard 3.6 carrera manual which has sport chrono.
I don't use sport mode as I find it just makes it all a bit jerky when changing gears and it doesn't feel any quicker to me.

Sorry to throw some cold water on it!

997.1 Turbo Tiptronic

I use 'D' most of the time in my car and find that standard mode suits it best. Sports mode is just too vicious.

However, on the occasions that I do select 'M' I tend to select Sport mode as well and the word 'awesome' is quite appropriate. :D

gen2 manual I drive in sport with the suspension off as you all say far to hard for our crap roads , wish there was a fix so the default was sport and you had to switch it off if you wanted it changed , combined with an SSK it really feels more alive and responsive even round the town I prefer the sport on. :thumb:

I find it odd that the car defaults to auto, as it seems like an economy mode to me. In my view, it should be in sport/manual on start up with the choice to switch to full auto/economy/city or sports plus for fast road/track. And like the rest of you, I always switch the PASM back to soft, at least on the road.

I'm looking forward to running the car with the TPC DSC module, to get more out of the DampTronics: in particular, the faster response when I decide I want to get a move on.

The fix for the "sport suspension being too harsh" is definitely the TPM Racing DSC module but it's quite a pricey fix. It has added benefit of remembering what mode you leave the suspension in too!

I have a 997.1 turbo manual and find Sport is the perfect setting except for round town when I switch it off as it seems to make manual traffic driving jerky. I am pretty sure it slightly changes exhaust note too even with my aftermarket exhaust.

MaxA said:
I find it odd that the car defaults to auto .......

:eh!: It's an automatic car.

The option is there to switch to manual over-ride and it gives options to tweak driving characteristics but it was built for someone who specified that they wanted an automatic.

In a 997.2 turbo does the sport mode change the exhaust note.
I didn't think the turbo system was valves but i recognise a change in note - maybe more to do with the mapping than exhaust

mangobay said:
The fix for the "sport suspension being too harsh" is definitely the TPM Racing DSC module but it's quite a pricey fix. It has added benefit of remembering what mode you leave the suspension in too!

I have a 997.1 turbo manual and find Sport is the perfect setting except for round town when I switch it off as it seems to make manual traffic driving jerky. I am pretty sure it slightly changes exhaust note too even with my aftermarket exhaust.

Snap. Exactly the same here, although I dont notice any exhaust note change.

T8 said:
MaxA said:

The option is there to switch to manual over-ride and it gives options to tweak driving characteristics but it was built for someone who specified that they wanted an automatic.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I bought a sports car. I don't drive my car in auto so I don't want it to default to auto/economy.

It's a bit like Ferrari's 'bumpy road' suspension setting - you have to press the button to soften the suspension. We have it the other way around.

MaxA said:
T8 said:
MaxA said:

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I bought a sports car. I don't drive my car in auto so I don't want it to default to auto/economy.

Sorry if it's a delicate question but why didn't you buy a manual car. :?:

Phil 997 said:
gen2 manual I drive in sport with the suspension off as you all say far to hard for our crap roads , wish there was a fix so the default was sport and you had to switch it off if you wanted it changed , combined with an SSK it really feels more alive and responsive even round the town I prefer the sport on. :thumb:

I took a friend out for a quick spin around some b-roads the other day and gave it some (legally, of course) in my manual .1. When we pulled back into my drive he said "wow, that was quick, but what does this sport button do". D'oh

T8 said:
Sorry if it's a delicate question but why didn't you buy a manual car. :?:

So to guess at his answer from my point of view, like I say I now have a manual but I bought my old PDK to drive exclusively (and I mean exclusively, pressing the leaver left became a matter of muscle memory) in manual mode. I still somewhat miss the two handed driving, deciding the gears whilst having the extra time to know my revs at least as well as I do in my manual, bouncing through all 7, always in the right one, without thinking "damn, this car has too many gears"

That said I have a manual now so, grrr, manuals all the way, down with autos and that sort of thing...

8b0b844a4f5d35d2519c50b5205bb12d--father-ted-charlie-hebdo.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back