Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albionmuz wrote:
Might be alone here but I think it's quite sad to know so many are just stored to make money.

Or stored just because they don't have time to use it but simply enjoy owning it maybe.

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

dommorton
Zolder

1998 Porsche 993 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
Albionmuz wrote:
Might be alone here but I think it's quite sad to know so many are just stored to make money.

Or stored just because they don't have time to use it but simply enjoy owning it maybe.

Well that's me absolutely.

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in a similar vein to having several "nice watches" most of which never get worn, its the pleasure in owning them that is worth more than the money in the bank. Of course it helps when depreciation is not really involved but there are always those who take the view unless its "used as intended" its wasted. The world simply does not work like that and everyone has a different value on things / take pleasure in different ways.

Of course all 993's could be used as intended, they would all have steller mileage by now eg 10k pa for 20 years = 200k+ as the "norm" but eventually there would be none to own and appreciate. The value in the lower mileage of what will always be an iconic collectable car are what enables the "used as intended" cars to retain enough value to be worthwhile maintaining forever. I doubt there are any 993's "written" off through mileage wear and tear because of the market created / maintained by the "garage queens" Wink

For that reason the predictable "they should be used as intended" quote is so ironic Hand

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

wozy
Imola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

140k miler here. Intentionally bought with over 100k miles on the clock as I'd had enough of 'odometer creep' and worry of adding miles to previous low mileage examples was spoiling it for me. I've covered 30k miles in 5.5 years in her.

She's took me to Stuttgart and back a week after buying her (getting me back to Evesham in a day via a quick stop at the Ring, and touched an indicated 160 plus on the autobahn) ....... that's 750 miles. Took me and the ex wife in temperatures ranging from 8 - 38 degrees on a jaunt from northern to sourthern Spain and back and didn't miss a beat. She's been raced through the Pyrenees numerous times seeing off a bunch of biker mates, driven all over France in summer heat and hopefully will be heading for Sicily later this year or spring of next, with the new woman in tow.

She's stone chipped, paints scratched in places (I have cats) and has sat outside uncovered for the past 12 months because of having a garage built. BUT. Though high mileage I have spent what she needs (quite a small fortune) to keep her a great drivers car. The exterior cosmetics might not be great but underneath she's still absolutely tiptop. Saying that she's still on her original clutch which hasn't been replaced yet as it still works fine.

I am not interested in her saleability, investment potential or just the thought of owning one, plus I make time to drive her. It's a car to be driven and enjoyed and I love her. Ive wanted one from the first time I saw one in Chipping Campden High Street 20 plus years ago. I'll only ever sell her, if the ***** really hits the fan, and I desperately need the money, but even then it would still be a struggle to let her go as she's irreplaceable. Thumb

993 C2. MBM. C4 mounts, RSRs, RS Short shifter. RS steering wheel. FSDs & M033s
Previous 2.7S, 3.2, 964 and 968CS

Pretzel
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wozy wrote:
140k miler here. Intentionally bought with over 100k miles on the clock as I'd had enough of 'odometer creep' and worry of adding miles to previous low mileage examples was spoiling it for me. I've covered 30k miles in 5.5 years in her.

She's took me to Stuttgart and back a week after buying her (getting me back to Evesham in a day via a quick stop at the Ring, and touched an indicated 160 plus on the autobahn) ....... that's 750 miles. Took me and the ex wife in temperatures ranging from 8 - 38 degrees on a jaunt from northern to sourthern Spain and back and didn't miss a beat. She's been raced through the Pyrenees numerous times seeing off a bunch of biker mates, driven all over France in summer heat and hopefully will be heading for Sicily later this year or spring of next, with the new woman in tow.

She's stone chipped, paints scratched in places (I have cats) and has sat outside uncovered for the past 12 months because of having a garage built. BUT. Though high mileage I have spent what she needs (quite a small fortune) to keep her a great drivers car. The exterior cosmetics might not be great but underneath she's still absolutely tiptop. Saying that she's still on her original clutch which hasn't been replaced yet as it still works fine.

I am not interested in her saleability, investment potential or just the thought of owning one, plus I make time to drive her. It's a car to be driven and enjoyed and I love her. Ive wanted one from the first time I saw one in Chipping Campden High Street 20 plus years ago. I'll only ever sell her, if the ***** really hits the fan, and I desperately need the money, but even then it would still be a struggle to let her go as she's irreplaceable. Thumb

Excellent

Albionmuz
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wozy wrote:

Uplifting read GoodJob
Alfa 159 Sportwagon
Porsche 968 Cab Tip
Lexus IS 200

decgraham
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozy you have a way with words, good for you Thumb

ATB Smile

stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for sale.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuttgartmetal wrote:
Not for sale.

Pity, otherwise you could buy the 'third party hosting licence' from Photobucket Thumb

jhrfc

1994 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell anyone, but the roads are really quiet today. Get out and drive!

Tycho
Spa-Francorchamps

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done garden centre now too much fizz consumed - staying home & listening to Leeds Festival in the distance.

highway
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a 993 is only ever pre-owned. Never used.

Zingari
Donnington
Donnington

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highway wrote:
Surely a 993 is only ever pre-owned. Never used.

How do you get 'pre-unused' Question Sold yours yet as I've heard you've dipped a toe Dont know

Alam
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone on here have a 993 in "used" condi Reply with quote

Albionmuz wrote:
Or are they all restored or low mileage garage queens.

Has the ridiculously high value of them taken away the thrill of just having a really nice old air cooled car to use on high days and holidays?

I ask this, as the recent owner, of what is clearly a car that has had a lot of money thrown at it and wonder if there are still some tired old reliable 993s knocking about

I saw one for 27k with 160k on it just before I bought mine that looked a little tired and by the time I decided to go and see it, it had been sold.

My car had done 2000 miles in six years when I bought it and had quite expensive servicing every year. I have put 3.5k miles on it in 9 months and the car feels so much better than when I bought it. I feel guilty piling the miles on but we are only here the once.....

I averaged about 1.5k a year on my 2S over 6 years. (59K) This was a mix of local and long distance. Its caked with stone chips at the front, bonnet and arches, chipped windscreen plus rust patches creeping up on the usual places.
Love it!

To add to this, yesterday i was sad to see it go. Sad
Time for someone else to enjoy this once Tom@911V sorts out all the minor issues!

90 Porsche 964 RS Spec (Now a RPM Build)
95 Porsche 993 C4s

highway
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do need to write an advert as I've recently rediscovered my love of all things Lotus. There does seem to be an increasing amount of 993 available lately and I won't be adding the garage whore to that number. I am very attached to the old girl and I've flirted with selling her before now. This endeavour resulted in my wasting the time of a chap who I've since grown quite fond of. I need to be rock solid and committed to sell, before launching an advert.

On a day like today I have the choice of taking the 993 or the Elise for an early morning hustle. I'm happy increasingly aware that I'm rarely tempted to take the 993. That has to be its own answer.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: