Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Would you buy this 996?

APL911

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi gang. Short time listener, first time poster.

I'm on the lookout for a nice 996c2 or c4 manual coupe.
I have around £20k to spend in total, including any immediate service or repair items.

I keep coming back to this 996.1 as I like the look of it.

What do you think? What should I look out for? Would the miles bother you? I'm not going to say anything about the IMS as I believe this is down to personal preference/ outlook.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708108219655#gallery

Any advice welcome. :lol:

Miles wouldn't bother me at all looks fantastic, but its all in the drive - any recent suspension work?

Its coming up for miles that in the suspension bushes and ball-points will be degrading. If a few things haven't been sorted already and you use it a lot you will be chasing knocks or driving a less than perfect car.

On my 130k car I replaced everything with a bush or balljoint, top mounts, coffin arms, forked arms, track rods/arms, rear dogbanes and engine mounts. Drives mint now, but I have damper replacement in the back of my mind when I spot some for a good price.

Also check the usual corrosion points - door strikers and inside arches, boot lid etc.

You could do a lot worse I'd say. Looks lovely in the photo's! Would be better with lower millage of course for future resale but if it was on say 70k miles then it would not take many years / use to get it up to the millage it is on now. If you want an ornament for your garage then go low millage if you want to use it then get one with higher millage, as with this one and not sweat about adding to it and using the car as intended. Would I be worried about 95k miles over a 70k mile car as far as reliability? No not really, I'd chose the car that has been best maintained.
As always get an inspection done before buying from someone independent. There are arguments that suggest that higher millage cars are safer with regard to IMS issues etc anyway.

OP have you seen the thread on here about the 930 with 725,000 miles on the clock? Also there is a chap on here with something like 350,000 miles on his 996.1... These cars love miles and so long as they are maintained will run forever***

*** This may include the odd engine rebuild, re-spray, complete overhaul of suspension and brakes along the way :D

It looks reasonable value. You need to have an inspection though.
Lots of potential expenditure if you're not careful.

A well maintained 95K miles car will drive better than a poorly maintained low mileage example as has been mentioned repeatedly on this site.

If the car ticks all of your other boxes, then subject to an inspection/test drive make an offer based on works deemed necessary.The mileage is still relatively low for a 1998 car so if you're going to drive it approx. 5K miles per annum, it'll remain so. The fact the mileage is not lower could mean better value for money, if it has been well maintained and the IMS issue tends to lessen as miles go up.

I looked around for over a year before I settled on a 90K miles 1997 C2 'project car' in May 2015 but I got it cheap enough to warrant the £6K worth of work I wanted to do to it. Yet it still drove better than some lower mileage/more expensive cars I viewed both privately and via the Indy dealer network.

If you do get the car I'm sure you won't regret it. It looks tremendous in the pics. The PPI isn't cheap but can give you some leverage to negotiate which will usually offset it's costs and give some piece of mind.

Nah I wouldn't buy that, best you leave that to me...............

Im watching this one as well. Ive been asking about a lot of similar cars recently and its amazing how many are advertised with little or no information about the cars history or recent big bills.

If you go for a look and don't like it please let me know what its like as Im 520miles away.

i think we / majority of people cant help being stuck in that "a car has had better days" once it hits that 100k milestone
and i was exactly the same when buying mine a few years ago on 56k but i've spent a fair bit on it and refreshed lots of bits and its now on 102k (added lots of miles as i love driving it!)
after refreshing bits i'd say it drives better than it did at 56k and the engine is still going strong and i have every faith she'll make the 200k milestone too (touch wood)

and the car you linked looks a beauty (bit biased as mines black aero car too )
hope it all checks out ok upon inspection
good luck :thumb:

Subject to it passing all the usual PP checks that looks like an awful lot of car for £16k.

The mileage will put a lot of people off but for that money it looks a great car just to get in and drive. I doubt whether it will go down in value - even when it actually hits the dreaded 100k.

The black C4 does look lovely, but I am biased as I have an aerokitted C4 too. The higher mileage will limit its long term value, but at the same time, you won't care about putting mileage on it.

Your £20k budget is sensible - as has already been said, make sure all the main items have been done and budget accordingly. Get it inspected and given it's a dealer you may be able to knock the cost of any major work identified off the asking price.

Good luck!

I think either of the ones linked in here look good potential buys. They both look attractive cars. From my point of view, I would be swayed by the original looks and lower mileage of the silver one providing everything checks out and the advice from the video is followed. Need to check how solid the history is and who carried out the services, recent invoices etc.

I can understand the view of others who are not over concerned about the higher mileage of the other one, but as the video says, it doesn't make it a bad buy by any means, it just impacts sell on value when selling on.

Good luck!

This 100k thing really bugs me. I have 4 cars in the house right now, lowest mileage is 90k then 99k, 113k and the highest 142k and they all get used every week with next to no issues. Its daft but hey if it means things are worthless then I'll buy it..

coullstar said:
This 100k thing really bugs me. I have 4 cars in the house right now, lowest mileage is 90k then 99k, 113k and the highest 142k and they all get used every week with next to no issues. Its daft but hey if it means things are worthless then I'll buy it..

I agree, but it means cars over 100k make very good buys for those prepared to look past the miles and look at the condition and history.

That black car is a classic "sell it before it reaches 100k"!

I had a thorough look at a 996.2 that was at just under 100k miles. Lots of work had been done on it, with a number of recent big bills for brakes, clutch, IMS bearing, etc.

Whilst it drove nicely, it still felt a bit tired. That may have to do with the scuff marks in the interior, the seats that had collapsed in the middle and a few rattles while driving on bad roads (ok, it was a targa, but still). I guess I just didn't 'bond' with it.

I've looked at others close to the 'magic number' and I had the impression that a few were in the 'sell it before 100k' camp.

Then there was a 60k 4S that I had a look at and it was a whole different ball game. It looked and felt close to new. But at £24k, you get what you pay for I suppose.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back